    Nikon-style twin or triple rectangular light flash system? I'd guess
    the LED/normal light non-flash rigs are the cheapest and probably the
    least effective?
    Rich, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Rich wrote:
    > A true flash ring, one of those LED/constantly on light rings or a
    > Nikon-style twin or triple rectangular light flash system? I'd guess
    > the LED/normal light non-flash rigs are the cheapest and probably the
    > least effective?

    Maybe it is neither. Flash rings are handy and generally easy to use,
    but they seldom are the "best" when you are considering the quality of the
    light.

    Depending on your needs you may want defused light or hard light, you
    may want even light or modeling light with some direction. You might even
    want back light or side lighting.

    The more information you can provide the more likely someone will be
    able to offer useful information.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Mar 24, 2007

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Mar 24, 6:02 pm, "Joseph Meehan" <>
    wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > A true flash ring, one of those LED/constantly on light rings or a
    > > Nikon-style twin or triple rectangular light flash system? I'd guess
    > > the LED/normal light non-flash rigs are the cheapest and probably the
    > > least effective?

    > Maybe it is neither. Flash rings are handy and generally easy to use,
    > but they seldom are the "best" when you are considering the quality of the
    > light.
    >
    > Depending on your needs you may want defused light or hard light, you
    > may want even light or modeling light with some direction. You might even
    > want back light or side lighting.
    >
    > The more information you can provide the more likely someone will be
    > able to offer useful information.

    This would be for macro shots of insects, etc, very close shots likely
    taken where things like light boxes would be impractical.
    Rich, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Rich

    King Sardon Guest

    On 24 Mar 2007 18:44:26 -0700, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >On Mar 24, 6:02 pm, "Joseph Meehan" <>
    >wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >> > A true flash ring, one of those LED/constantly on light rings or a
    >> > Nikon-style twin or triple rectangular light flash system? I'd guess
    >> > the LED/normal light non-flash rigs are the cheapest and probably the
    >> > least effective?

    >> Maybe it is neither. Flash rings are handy and generally easy to use,
    >> but they seldom are the "best" when you are considering the quality of the
    >> light.
    >>
    >> Depending on your needs you may want defused light or hard light, you
    >> may want even light or modeling light with some direction. You might even
    >> want back light or side lighting.
    >>
    >> The more information you can provide the more likely someone will be
    >> able to offer useful information.
    >>

    >This would be for macro shots of insects, etc, very close shots likely
    >taken where things like light boxes would be impractical.

    There are many ways to approach lighting for close-up photography of
    bugs, etc. Ordinary flash is great because it stops motion, but it
    tends to leave the background too dark, and the light is very
    directional unless you use a diffuser of some kind... the size of
    which might scare the bug.

    It helps to have two flash units, one on each side to improve
    lighting. They don't have to be very powerful, but natch have to work
    conveniently with your camera.

    Look into Wimberley brackets to support the camera and the flashes.
    This can get very expensive very fast. A much lower cost solution is
    the Manfrotto Macro Bracket Support.

    It's best to use a long lens that has (maybe with a closeup lens or
    extension tube) closeup capabilities. You need enough working room
    between the lens and the bug or you will scare the bug. Select the
    lens; that will determine the working distance and help decide on how
    you want to rig the flashes.

    KS
    King Sardon, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Rich

    tomm42 Guest

    On Mar 24, 2:19 pm, "Rich" <> wrote:
    > A true flash ring, one of those LED/constantly on light rings or a
    > Nikon-style twin or triple rectangular light flash system? I'd guess
    > the LED/normal light non-flash rigs are the cheapest and probably the
    > least effective?

    Rich,
    The Nikon R1C1 with an SU800 controler is probably the best right now.
    Comes with 2 flash heads, you can use up to 8. Wireless with either
    the Nikon Command system or the SU800 (more control than the in camera
    command). Light weight, comes with diffusers. Small flash head so
    reflections are small. If you want a higher level unit some high end
    studio flashes have fiber optic extensions to their flash heads, Bron,
    Balcar.

    Tom
    tomm42, Mar 26, 2007