Which machine should I replace first?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
    2003 etc etc):

    Compaq - SB M30
    P4 - 1500
    256 Mb RAM

    OR

    Compaq - D380MX
    Celeron - 1700
    384 Mb RAM

    If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
    any length of time to see for myself.

    My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.

    Any opinions?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 15, 2006

  2. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    > first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
    > 2003 etc etc):
    >

    > Compaq - SB M30
    > P4 - 1500
    > 256 Mb RAM
    >
    > OR
    >
    > Compaq - D380MX
    > Celeron - 1700
    > 384 Mb RAM
    >

    > If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    > runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
    > any length of time to see for myself.
    >
    > My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    > Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >

    > Any opinions?

    What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep it.
    They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been dogs,
    only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an AMD64.

    Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a reformat and
    reinstall cannot fix.

    But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >

    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >> or
    >> 2003 etc etc):
    >>

    >> Compaq - SB M30
    >> P4 - 1500
    >> 256 Mb RAM
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> Compaq - D380MX
    >> Celeron - 1700
    >> 384 Mb RAM
    >>

    >> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >> for
    >> any length of time to see for myself.
    >>
    >> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>

    >> Any opinions?

    > What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
    > it.
    > They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    > dogs,
    > only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    > AMD64.

    How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
    question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

    > Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
    > reformat and
    > reinstall cannot fix.

    That happens regularly anyway.

    > But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    > Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

    Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
    get 'something good' there.

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Alan

    Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi All,
    >>>
    >>>Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >>>first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >>>or
    >>>2003 etc etc):
    >>>

    >>>Compaq - SB M30
    >>>P4 - 1500
    >>>256 Mb RAM
    >>>
    >>>OR
    >>>
    >>>Compaq - D380MX
    >>>Celeron - 1700
    >>>384 Mb RAM
    >>>

    >>>If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >>>runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >>>for
    >>>any length of time to see for myself.
    >>>
    >>>My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >>>Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>>

    >>>Any opinions?

    >>What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
    >>it.
    >>They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >>dogs,
    >>only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >>AMD64.
    >>

    > How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?
    >
    > We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
    > question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?
    >

    >>Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
    >>reformat and
    >>reinstall cannot fix.
    >>

    > That happens regularly anyway.
    >

    >>But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    >>Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?
    >>

    > Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
    > get 'something good' there.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    The CPUs on these are pretty reasonable IMHO.

    How big are the hds? I suspect fairly small, hence slower generation.

    I would add 512meg of Ram to each, and swap in 250 Gig Hitachi T7K250s
    (or similar) and re-install.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 15, 2006
  5. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:58:08 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >>> or
    >>> 2003 etc etc):
    >>>

    >>> Compaq - SB M30
    >>> P4 - 1500
    >>> 256 Mb RAM
    >>>
    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> Compaq - D380MX
    >>> Celeron - 1700
    >>> 384 Mb RAM
    >>>

    >>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >>> for
    >>> any length of time to see for myself.
    >>>
    >>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>>

    >>> Any opinions?

    >> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
    >> it.
    >> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >> dogs,
    >> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >> AMD64.
    >>

    > How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    Actually, come to think of it, a Celeron 1700 is a crippled P4.

    I think the fastest of the Tualatins were 1400, but there were not many of
    them made. Most of the Tualatins topped out at 1300.

    A celeron 1300 is better/more productive than a celeron 1700.

    > We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
    > question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

    Having thought about it a little more, dump the 1700. The P4 is still more
    than fast enough for corporate use. No reason to scrap that, unless you're
    wanting to reduce electricity consumption.

    >> Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
    >> reformat and reinstall cannot fix.

    > That happens regularly anyway.
    >
    >> But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    >> Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

    > Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them) and
    > get 'something good' there.

    I mean, give your desktop users some good software instead of the
    Microsoft shite.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Mary Ann Fisher: "Governments worldwide are spending more than US$3 billion
    a year on Linux hardware, software and services, and this is growing at 35%
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Alan

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >>> or
    >>> 2003 etc etc):
    >>>

    >>> Compaq - SB M30
    >>> P4 - 1500
    >>> 256 Mb RAM
    >>>
    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> Compaq - D380MX
    >>> Celeron - 1700
    >>> 384 Mb RAM
    >>>

    >>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >>> for
    >>> any length of time to see for myself.
    >>>
    >>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>>

    >>> Any opinions?

    >> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
    >> it.
    >> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >> dogs,
    >> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >> AMD64.
    >>

    > How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    Nope, run Lavalys' Everest Home on each machine, it will tell you what
    is on each machine in excruciating detail.

    I'd put more memory into the machine you keep, whichever one that is.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Alan

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, "Alan" <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or
    >2003 etc etc):
    >

    >Compaq - SB M30
    >P4 - 1500
    >256 Mb RAM
    >
    >OR
    >
    >Compaq - D380MX
    >Celeron - 1700
    >384 Mb RAM
    >

    >If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for
    >any length of time to see for myself.
    >
    >My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >

    >Any opinions?

    I'd shoot the P4 just on instinct :)
    Bret, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message

    >>>What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then
    >>>keep it.
    >>>They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >>>dogs,
    >>>only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >>>AMD64.
    >>>

    >> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?
    >>
    >> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
    >> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?
    >>

    >>>Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
    >>>reformat and
    >>>reinstall cannot fix.
    >>>

    >> That happens regularly anyway.
    >>

    >>>But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    >>>Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?
    >>>

    >> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them)
    >> and get 'something good' there.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > The CPUs on these are pretty reasonable IMHO.
    >
    > How big are the hds? I suspect fairly small, hence slower
    > generation.
    >
    > I would add 512meg of Ram to each, and swap in 250 Gig Hitachi
    > T7K250s (or similar) and re-install.
    >
    > regards
    >

    > Thing

    The CPUs are indeed okay, and we have many machines in the P4-1600 to
    P4-2000 range still. The two machines have HDDs that are not an issue
    size-wise (P4 = 18Gb / Celeron = 37Gb) given that we rarely see usage
    of the disk over 10Gb currently sine all data is on the network.

    However, we have a policy of buying replacements of a minumum spec
    (P4-2400, PXE, 512 Mb L2-Cache, 400 Mhx FSB, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, 2
    USB, inc WinXP Pro) if we can get them below a given price. The
    latest replacement cost me $319 (net) ex-lease so I was pretty happy
    with that.

    Our policy is aimed at keeping our specs high enough that by the time
    the P4-2000 (for example) are starting to struggle (Vista perhaps?) we
    will be getting around to replacing them without costing us too much -
    it seems to be okay so far.

    We re-install (from image) regularly - at least once a year and often
    more frequently than that whenever a machine gets moved around (person
    moves - uses machine at that desk, and old machine gets re-imaged
    before someone else takes that desk).

    Anyway, the only question is still which one to keep and which one to
    ditch? One is going on TradeMe - which should it be?

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Alan

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:58:08 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >

    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message

    >>> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then
    >>> keep
    >>> it.
    >>> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >>> dogs,
    >>> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >>> AMD64.
    >>>

    >> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    > Actually, come to think of it, a Celeron 1700 is a crippled P4.
    >
    > I think the fastest of the Tualatins were 1400, but there were not
    > many of
    > them made. Most of the Tualatins topped out at 1300.
    >
    > A celeron 1300 is better/more productive than a celeron 1700.
    >

    >> We aren't upgrading the machines - one will be sold off, so the
    >> question is really just which one of the two is best to keep?

    > Having thought about it a little more, dump the 1700. The P4 is
    > still more
    > than fast enough for corporate use. No reason to scrap that, unless
    > you're
    > wanting to reduce electricity consumption.

    Okay - that's fair comment.

    I was thinking along the same lines.

    >>> Of course, it really sounds like there's nothing wrong that a
    >>> reformat and reinstall cannot fix.

    >> That happens regularly anyway.
    >>
    >>> But if you're wanting to upgrade those desktop boxes, why keep the
    >>> Microsoft crud? Why not give them something good?

    >> Perhaps they will go to PC heaven (or wherever TradeMe takes them)
    >> and
    >> get 'something good' there.

    > I mean, give your desktop users some good software instead of the
    > Microsoft shite.

    That's not on the cards - I just need to decide which machine to put
    on TradeMe.

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message

    >> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    > Nope, run Lavalys' Everest Home on each machine, it will tell you
    > what is on each machine in excruciating detail.
    >
    > I'd put more memory into the machine you keep, whichever one that
    > is.

    Looks like its no longer available - discontinued:

    http://www.lavalys.com/news.php?article=31&selcat=PR&lang=en

    Any other suggestions anyone?

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  11. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:36:18 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > Any other suggestions anyone?

    Yeah - swap the HDDs, and swap the RAM. The celeron has larger RAM and HDD
    space, that is, if the P4 can take the RAM from the celeron.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006
  12. Alan

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:36:18 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Any other suggestions anyone?

    > Yeah - swap the HDDs, and swap the RAM. The celeron has larger RAM
    > and HDD
    > space, that is, if the P4 can take the RAM from the celeron.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > Mary Ann Fisher: "Governments worldwide are spending more than US$3
    > billion
    > a year on Linux hardware, software and services, and this is growing
    > at 35%
    > a year, but it's the US military that is spending the most. They
    > view it as
    > a source of innovation."

    Probably a good idea, but since the other machine will be going to
    TradeMe within a month or two probably I just can't be bothered.

    Good advice nevertheless!

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  13. Alan wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:56:32 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >>> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >>> or
    >>> 2003 etc etc):
    >>>

    >>> Compaq - SB M30
    >>> P4 - 1500
    >>> 256 Mb RAM
    >>>
    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> Compaq - D380MX
    >>> Celeron - 1700
    >>> 384 Mb RAM
    >>>

    >>> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >>> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >>> for
    >>> any length of time to see for myself.
    >>>
    >>> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >>> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>>

    >>> Any opinions?

    >> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then keep
    >> it.
    >> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >> dogs,
    >> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >> AMD64.
    >>

    > How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    It's really easy to tell, Tualatin core Celerons went up to 1.4GHz, if your
    1.7GHZ Celeron is faster than 1.4 then it isn't a Tualatin. :)

    That 1.7 Celeron *is* a dog, can't you replace that machine first but pinch
    some of the RAM to put in the P4 (which, incidently is also a bit of a slug)
    until you can replace that? The Celeron is still saleable with 256MB, I
    doubt it'll affect the price much as it's so damn slow anyway. The 1.7GHz
    Celeron was the worst Celeron (for it's time) since the extremely bad
    Celeron 300 (non-'A' version with no L2 cache).
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 15, 2006
  14. Alan wrote:

    <snip>

    > However, we have a policy of buying replacements of a minumum spec
    > (P4-2400, PXE, 512 Mb L2-Cache, 400 Mhx FSB, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, 2
    > USB, inc WinXP Pro) if we can get them below a given price. The
    > latest replacement cost me $319 (net) ex-lease so I was pretty happy
    > with that.

    Alan, I really recommend making that a minimum of 512MB of RAM. It makes a
    massive difference in responsiveness to XP from 256MB. Moreso than having a
    500MHz faster CPU. I was amazed when I bumped my RAM up from 256 to 512, it
    was like a new machine, (and mines faster than your specs above), the lack
    of RAM was really holding it back.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)
    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 15, 2006
  15. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Shaun (~misfit~)" <> wrote in message
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> However, we have a policy of buying replacements of a minumum spec
    >> (P4-2400, PXE, 512 Mb L2-Cache, 400 Mhx FSB, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD,
    >> 2
    >> USB, inc WinXP Pro) if we can get them below a given price. The
    >> latest replacement cost me $319 (net) ex-lease so I was pretty
    >> happy
    >> with that.

    > Alan, I really recommend making that a minimum of 512MB of RAM. It
    > makes a massive difference in responsiveness to XP from 256MB.
    > Moreso than having a 500MHz faster CPU. I was amazed when I bumped
    > my RAM up from 256 to 512, it was like a new machine, (and mines
    > faster than your specs above), the lack of RAM was really holding it
    > back.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun (~misfit~)

    Yep - probably a good call.

    If we can get them for less than $400 with 256Mb then we should be
    able to get another 256Mb for less than $100 (I guess) still making
    our price point (depending on slots and what is in there already).

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  16. Alan

    > Alan wrote:
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message

    >>> What is the core of the Celeron? If it is a Tualatin core, then
    >>> keep
    >>> it.
    >>> They are good chips - they run nice and cool. P4 have always been
    >>> dogs,
    >>> only really good for heating a room. Dump the P4 in favour of an
    >>> AMD64.
    >>>

    >> How can I tell? Would I have to open up the box?

    > It's really easy to tell, Tualatin core Celerons went up to 1.4GHz,
    > if your 1.7GHZ Celeron is faster than 1.4 then it isn't a Tualatin.
    > :)
    >
    > That 1.7 Celeron *is* a dog, can't you replace that machine first
    > but pinch some of the RAM to put in the P4 (which, incidently is
    > also a bit of a slug) until you can replace that? The Celeron is
    > still saleable with 256MB, I doubt it'll affect the price much as
    > it's so damn slow anyway. The 1.7GHz Celeron was the worst Celeron
    > (for it's time) since the extremely bad Celeron 300 (non-'A' version
    > with no L2 cache).
    > --
    > Shaun (~misfit~)

    I'm being lazy!

    However, you have convinced me to pop it open and grab some of the
    memory out to re-use in the P4 or elsewhere.

    As you say, it probably won't affect the value materially.

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  17. Alan

    PC Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced first
    > (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000 or 2003 etc
    > etc):
    >

    > Compaq - SB M30
    > P4 - 1500
    > 256 Mb RAM
    >
    > OR
    >
    > Compaq - D380MX
    > Celeron - 1700
    > 384 Mb RAM
    >

    > If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it runs
    > like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so for any length
    > of time to see for myself.
    >
    > My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the Celeron-1700,
    > but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >

    > Any opinions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Alan
    You don't seem to have received much advice on 'which one to dump, plenty of
    advice on how to keep the survivor going for a time, but few 'opinions' on
    which is to be 'condemned.
    The machines would on paper appear to have similar performance hence the
    lack of advice from the newsgroups 'experts'.
    Therefore may I suggest you make the decision based on good old 'business'
    values.
    i.e. Which one is going to cost you less to maintain, which sale order will
    give you the best return, what is the likely depreciation of the machine you
    keep etc.

    Alternatively you could just cut cards, or tell the users to sort it out
    between themselves.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 15, 2006
  18. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Looking for opinions on which of these machines should be replaced
    >> first (both currently and will be running WinXP Pro / Office 2000
    >> or 2003 etc etc):
    >>

    >> Compaq - SB M30
    >> P4 - 1500
    >> 256 Mb RAM
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> Compaq - D380MX
    >> Celeron - 1700
    >> 384 Mb RAM
    >>

    >> If I ask the users, they will both say their's is the worst and it
    >> runs like a dog. I haven't used either, and cannot really do so
    >> for any length of time to see for myself.
    >>
    >> My inclination is that the P4-1500 will run faster than the
    >> Celeron-1700, but of course the second machine has 50% more RAM.
    >>

    >> Any opinions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > Alan
    > You don't seem to have received much advice on 'which one to dump,
    > plenty of advice on how to keep the survivor going for a time, but
    > few 'opinions' on which is to be 'condemned.
    > The machines would on paper appear to have similar performance hence
    > the lack of advice from the newsgroups 'experts'.
    > Therefore may I suggest you make the decision based on good old
    > 'business' values.
    > i.e. Which one is going to cost you less to maintain, which sale
    > order will give you the best return, what is the likely depreciation
    > of the machine you keep etc.
    >
    > Alternatively you could just cut cards, or tell the users to sort it
    > out between themselves.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Hi Paul,

    Good advice - thanks.

    I think I am going to dump the Celeron. It may be a bit slower, but
    the P4 was rebuilt last month, and the Celeron about 10 months ago so
    it is closer to needing a re-build and I don't want to do that and
    then flick it on soon after anyway.

    Best returns? No idea, but I doubt they'll be too different, and both
    are below $100 book value so accounting depreciation / tax issues are
    not material.

    Thanks again,

    Alan, Mar 15, 2006
  19. Alan

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Mar 15, 2006
  20. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:27:04 +1300, Alan wrote:

    >>> Any other suggestions anyone?

    >> Yeah - swap the HDDs, and swap the RAM. The celeron has larger RAM
    >> and HDD
    >> space, that is, if the P4 can take the RAM from the celeron.

    > Probably a good idea, but since the other machine will be going to
    > TradeMe within a month or two probably I just can't be bothered.
    >
    > Good advice nevertheless!

    If both are going to be sold "within a month or two", then why on earth
    ask this question in the first place?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006