Which Linux distro should I choose for UNetbootin?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Mar 21, 2010.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    trouble choosing which one.

    I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
    work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.

    Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
    if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
    Thanks.

    UNetbootin
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    M.L., Mar 21, 2010

  2. M.L.

    LD55ZRA Guest

    Try here first:

    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 21, 2010

  3. M.L.

    news Guest

    Try Gpart a linux Prg

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:39:09 -0400, Sano <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:26:57 -0500, M.L wrote:
    >

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    >> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    >> trouble choosing which one.
    >>
    >> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    >> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    >> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
    >> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    >> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
    >> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> UNetbootin
    >> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    >Does this look like it'd work?
    >
    >http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

    -----------------
    Mais z'en!,Message Creer a news.mccarragher.com
    Possible de lire les news gratuitement
    Possible d'ecrire avec un compte
    Forum 1:http://mccarragher.com/f/
    Forum 2:http://mccarragher.com/ff/
    Proxy-2---:http://mccarragher.com/p2/
    Proxy-1----http://mccarragher.com/p1/
    Java Chat : http://mccarragher.com/c/
    FTP & COMIC:ftp://mccarragher.com/
    news, Mar 21, 2010
  4. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    > Vista Home Premium system.

    Vista is NTFS.

    > I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs

    The newest Knoppix is 6.2.1 which default desktop is LXDE. The newest
    PCLOS is 2009.2 which default desktop is KDE 3.5 The 2010 is beta.

    Linux distros lend themselves to such as alternate desktops and
    filemanagers.

    > Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    > that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    NTFS is recognized. I'm not understanding from your explanation what
    kind of problem you encountered; but there are a lot of ways, linux and
    non-linux that you can boot recovery utilities.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 21, 2010
  5. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Mar 21, 2010
  6. M.L.

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 00:26:57 -0500, M.L. wrote:

    > Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    > that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    *buntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS..... the list is pretty long.

    Any Linux capable of being run 'live', in fact.

    > Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    > that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    All of them do. They just don't call the partitions by letters, as Windows
    does, and you won't find a distro that does.

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  7. M.L.

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-21, M.L <> wrote:

    > I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    > Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    > slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    > trouble choosing which one.

    [...]

    If you aren't already confident using some variety of Unix or Linux, I
    suggest that it isn't a good idea to rely on it for 'disaster recovery'!

    There could be 'issues' using non-Microsoft operating systems to
    manipulate Microsoft's proprietary NTFS file system. I have successfully
    rebuilt Win98SE, on a FAT32 file system, using Linux after the Windows
    system managed to destroy itself, but it isn't for the faint-hearted!
    Windows Vista is not as straight-forward as 98SE.

    Hasn't Microsoft got 'recovery tools' designed specifically for its own
    operating systems?

    OEMs often provide 'recovery' software that can cope with their particular
    customised installations of Windows systems.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 21, 2010
  8. M.L.

    chuckcar Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in

    > I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    > Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    > slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    > trouble choosing which one.
    >
    > I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    > delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    > level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with.

    Are you absolutely sure that using linux to move files in Vista is a
    good idea? Why not just use Vista? If Vista doesn't allow you to
    move them on a "user" account, then you're almost certainly doing
    something bad that shouldn't be done at all. Vista has a completely
    different security setup. Linux doesn't care what Vista user you're
    dealing with. Nor does it care about system files at *all*. If you
    make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it. Linux
    console simple doesn't *have* a recycle bin.

    Of course not. That applies to *all* linux distributions you will find.
    However you *can* use sudo to do it with a user account and then type
    exit once you're done so you won't be able to make a mistake later on.

    > I found Puppy Linux to
    > work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    > manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.

    What file manager? none of the software is written by people who do the
    distributions, they are part of linux and all freely available to
    anyone.

    Midnight Commander?
    The Gnome version of the above?
    Tkdesk?
    KFM?

    Theres countless ones

    > Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    > that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
    > if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > UNetbootin
    > http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    You're doung it bassackwards. What you *should* be doing is finding out
    *what* file managers are out there, selecting a distribution that has
    the ond you want and then installing only that one when you install
    linux.

    Here's a starting point for you:

    http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file manager&submit=Search

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 21, 2010
  9. M.L.

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:57:21 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > If you make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it.

    Not even if you move them back to where they were originally?

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  10. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    >> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    >> trouble choosing which one.
    >>
    >> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    >> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    >> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
    >> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    >> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
    >> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> UNetbootin
    >> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    >Try here first:
    >
    >http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

    Thanks for all the replies. I already have a Vista Recovery CD and
    have used it. However, when Vista is temporarily trashed it can't
    begin to give me the type of recovery tools that Linux apps offer such
    as partitioning and file management.

    I'll try to clarify my needs to the concerns of the responders. First,
    I need to make a correction. UNetbootin has nothing to do with file
    management, it just creates bootable media.

    I am looking for a windows-like file manager within a Live Linux
    distro, and one that allows me to edit and delete files without
    getting the equivalent of "access denied" that I found with Knoppix
    and PCLinuxOS Live CDs. I'd be perfectly happy with a Puppy distro
    that comes intact with a more Windows-like file manager than that
    found in the basic distro.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  11. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    >> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    >> trouble choosing which one.
    >>
    >> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    >> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    >> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
    >> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    >> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux? I'm not sure
    >> if UNetbootin allows such file manager manipulations automatically.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> UNetbootin
    >> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    >Does this look like it'd work?
    >
    >http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

    Thanks. Another poster showed a screenshot indicating that Ubuntu
    Rescue Remix is a command line tool, which is not what I was looking
    for. In addition, I couldn't find anything on that web page or the one
    at pen drive.com that mentioned the tools included within Ubuntu
    Rescue Remix.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  12. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:45:45 -0400, news <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:39:09 -0400, Sano <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >>> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >Try Gpart a linux Prg

    I used the GParted, located within SystemRescueCD, to rearrange Vista
    partitions. Vista wasn't happy with the result upon reboot, but the
    Vista Recovery CD fixed it quickly and automatically, and kept the
    changes made by GParted intact. Still, I'm looking for a Linux file
    manager, not a partitioning app. Thanks anyway.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  13. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system.

    >Vista is NTFS.
    >
    >> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs

    >The newest Knoppix is 6.2.1 which default desktop is LXDE. The newest
    >PCLOS is 2009.2 which default desktop is KDE 3.5 The 2010 is beta.
    >
    >Linux distros lend themselves to such as alternate desktops and
    >filemanagers.
    >
    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >NTFS is recognized. I'm not understanding from your explanation what
    >kind of problem you encountered; but there are a lot of ways, linux and
    >non-linux that you can boot recovery utilities.

    The problem I encountered was an equivalent "access denied" warning
    when I tried to move or delete a Vista file while within Knoppix and
    PCLinuxOS live CD sessions. OTOH, I could manipulate my Vista files to
    a fare-thee-well right out of the box with live Puppy Linux. However,
    basic Puppy could use a more Windows-like file manager, and that's
    what I'm looking for.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  14. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file
    >> manager, and that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >Try Slackware, it's really good.

    No screenshots at http://www.slackware.com/ but the one I found at

    http://osdp.bplaced.net/en/screen_gallery.php?bsgfx=linux/slackware/slackware12-scr-08.jpg
    http://moourl.com/siywr

    had an amazing-looking file manager that appears very windows-like.
    The next question is, will it immediately let me move/delete/write my
    Vista files, or will I have to do some type of permission
    configurations first?
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  15. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >*buntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS..... the list is pretty long.
    >
    >Any Linux capable of being run 'live', in fact.

    That hasn't been my recent experience. Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs
    did not allow me to delete my Vista files, while Puppy Linux did.

    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >All of them do. They just don't call the partitions by letters, as Windows
    >does, and you won't find a distro that does.

    I'm familiar and comfortable with the Linux drive/partition naming
    conventions.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  16. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    >> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    >> trouble choosing which one.

    >[...]
    >
    >If you aren't already confident using some variety of Unix or Linux, I
    >suggest that it isn't a good idea to rely on it for 'disaster recovery'!

    I'm not aware of any Windows OS recovery solution that allows me to
    manipulate and replace corrupt files, partition drives and run
    antivirus scans, all while Windows is trashed. I done all those things
    with Linux recovery solutions.

    >There could be 'issues' using non-Microsoft operating systems to
    >manipulate Microsoft's proprietary NTFS file system. I have successfully
    >rebuilt Win98SE, on a FAT32 file system, using Linux after the Windows
    >system managed to destroy itself, but it isn't for the faint-hearted!
    >Windows Vista is not as straight-forward as 98SE.
    >
    >Hasn't Microsoft got 'recovery tools' designed specifically for its own
    >operating systems?

    As stated above, Windows recovery solutions can be more limited than
    Linux when the Windows system is trashed.

    >OEMs often provide 'recovery' software that can cope with their particular
    >customised installations of Windows systems.

    I've found OEM recovery solutions are mostly limited to reinstalling
    the OS. The types of issues I'd like to be prepared for can often be
    fixed without resorting to reinstallation.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  17. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    >>delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    >>level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with. I found Puppy Linux to
    >>work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    >>manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >>Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >>that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >I'd recommend a little practice with Puppy. You'll get used to the JWM
    >desktop manager sooner or later but you can also install others like
    >Xfce, IceWM etc..

    I wasn't impressed with the JWM screenshot at
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23260

    What I especially didn't like about my Puppy windows manager
    experience was that a new window opened every time I clicked on a
    folder icon.

    Perhaps it would look and behave more like a windows file manager if
    it had a tree view. Does JWM come with basic Puppy-4.3.1? I'm not
    interested in installing additional managers to the standard distro.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  18. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm interested in creating a recovery utility USB boot stick for my
    >> Vista Home Premium system. UNetbootin allows one to choose among a
    >> slew of Linux distros to drive the recovery and I'm having some
    >> trouble choosing which one.
    >>
    >> I tried Knoppix and PCLinuxOS Live CDs but found that I couldn't
    >> delete or move files on my Vista system without engaging in some root
    >> level manipulations that I was unfamiliar with.

    >Are you absolutely sure that using linux to move files in Vista is a
    >good idea? Why not just use Vista?

    I wanted to use a Linux recovery solution in the event that Vista was
    temporarily disabled and inaccessible.

    > If Vista doesn't allow you to
    >move them on a "user" account, then you're almost certainly doing
    >something bad that shouldn't be done at all. Vista has a completely
    >different security setup. Linux doesn't care what Vista user you're
    >dealing with. Nor does it care about system files at *all*. If you
    >make a mistake in linux with Vista files, you can't undo it. Linux
    >console simple doesn't *have* a recycle bin.
    >
    >Of course not. That applies to *all* linux distributions you will find.
    >However you *can* use sudo to do it with a user account and then type
    >exit once you're done so you won't be able to make a mistake later on.

    I want to avoid learning and using Linux commands altogether during
    any recovery and depend mostly on graphical aids.

    >> I found Puppy Linux to
    >> work well right out of the box. My only misgiving was that its file
    >> manager was too dissimilar from Windows Explorer.
    >>

    >What file manager? none of the software is written by people who do the
    >distributions, they are part of linux and all freely available to
    >anyone.
    >
    >Midnight Commander?
    >The Gnome version of the above?
    >Tkdesk?
    >KFM?
    >
    >Theres countless ones
    >
    >> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?
    >>

    >You're doung it bassackwards. What you *should* be doing is finding out
    >*what* file managers are out there, selecting a distribution that has
    >the ond you want and then installing only that one when you install
    >linux.
    >
    >Here's a starting point for you:
    >
    >http://freshmeat.net/search?q=file manager&submit=Search

    I don't want to add anything to the distro I decide to use. I want to
    use it as is.
    M.L., Mar 22, 2010
  19. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > <my cite>

    >>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file manager, and
    >>> that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >> NTFS is recognized. I'm not understanding from your explanation what
    >> kind of problem you encountered; but there are a lot of ways, linux and
    >> non-linux that you can boot recovery utilities.

    > The problem I encountered was an equivalent "access denied" warning
    > when I tried to move or delete a Vista file while within Knoppix and
    > PCLinuxOS live CD sessions. OTOH, I could manipulate my Vista files to
    > a fare-thee-well right out of the box with live Puppy Linux. However,
    > basic Puppy could use a more Windows-like file manager, and that's
    > what I'm looking for.

    Puppy can use all kinds of FMs. Here's a 16 mo. old post from a forum,
    but if I would go search on a different forum, I could find a lot more
    choices:

    <q> You have the following choices for file managers: Konqueror (KDE 3's
    is pretty much an all-in-one file manager), Dolphin, Nautilus, Thunar
    and PCManFM. If you want simplicity, go with Thunar; if you want
    slightly more than that, go with PCManFM; likewise, Nautilus; likewise,
    Dolphin; likewise, KDE 3's Konqueror. </q>

    You actually have more choices than that. You saw KDE's konqueror in
    the pclos and maybe PCManFM in the LXDE of Knoppix.

    The business about what kind of FM you like is a personal taste, just
    like what kind of newsreader you like. You are using Forte Agent -
    someone else might not like that choice.

    If you like Puppy, I recommend going with that and getting/using a
    different FM. Do a little research on what your choices of FM are in
    Puppy, then do some more research to see some screenshots of alternate
    FMs. Puppy has a lot going for it and it is getting better all the
    time. It is also gathering more different kinds of apps and choices.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 22, 2010
  20. M.L.

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-03-22, M.L <> wrote:

    >>> Is there a suitable Linux distro that has a familiar file
    >>> manager, and that would allow me to delete Vista files while in Linux?

    >>Try Slackware, it's really good.

    > No screenshots at http://www.slackware.com/ but the one I found at
    >
    > http://osdp.bplaced.net/en/screen_gallery.php?bsgfx=linux/slackware/slackware12-scr-08.jpg
    > http://moourl.com/siywr
    >> had an amazing-looking file manager that appears very windows-like.

    That isn't a file manager; it's the 'control centre' for the KDE desktop
    environment. If you have KDE installed then you'll probably have
    'Konqueror', which is both a web browser and a file manager.

    There are more file managers for Unix/Linux than you can throw a stick at
    <http://www.linux.org/apps/all/System/File_Managers-1.html?sort=name>.

    My own favourite is Midnight Commander, which has a text-based twin-pane
    interface and lots of useful tools - including the text editor I'm using
    to type this. It should be available for any Unix or Linux distro even if
    it isn't installed by default.

    > The next question is, will it immediately let me move/delete/write my
    > Vista files, or will I have to do some type of permission
    > configurations first?

    NTFS is a Microsoft-only file system, and they don't seem too keen on
    letting other folk know all of its internal workings. So successful
    manipulation of it using a non-Microsoft environment is not
    straight-forward. What tools there are for Linux to manipulate NTFS files
    and partitions are likely to be available for most distros but not
    necessarily installed by default. See
    <http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php> for more information. Naturally, if
    Microsoft change any of the innards of their NTFS file system then
    everyone else will be caught on the hop ... again.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 22, 2010