    cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    by dragging that selection rectangle

    and resizing (by pixel count and file size).
    Guest, Apr 28, 2013

  2. Guest

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    > lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >
    > I just need it for:
    >
    > colour correctio
    >
    > cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    > by dragging that selection rectangle
    >
    > and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    if you're on a mac, iphoto (included with the computer) will do that.

    otherwise, get photoshop elements. it's easy to find on sale for about
    $50-60. don't pay more.
    nospam, Apr 28, 2013

  3. Guest

    philo  Guest

    On 04/27/2013 07:52 PM, wrote:
    > I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    > lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >
    > I just need it for:
    >
    > colour correctio
    >
    > cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    > by dragging that selection rectangle
    >
    > and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    I do most of my editing with IrFanView ...it's free.

    For another with considerably more features but also free, there is GIMP.

    Between the above two applications I don't need anything else.
    philo , Apr 28, 2013
  4. Guest

    nospam Guest

    In article <2013042718440624115-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > >> I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    > >> lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    > >>
    > >> I just need it for:
    > >>
    > >> colour correctio
    > >>
    > >> cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    > >> by dragging that selection rectangle
    > >>
    > >> and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    > > if you're on a mac, iphoto (included with the computer) will do that.
    > >
    > > otherwise, get photoshop elements. it's easy to find on sale for about
    > > $50-60. don't pay more.

    > Note: He has bought a Windows 8 tablet.

    so he did. missed that.

    > I am not exactly sure how PSE
    > or any of the well known suspects in the Windows World would actually
    > would function in the W8 tablet environment.

    windows tablets can run windows apps (other than an rt tablet, which
    almost nobody is buying).
    nospam, Apr 28, 2013
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    > On 04/27/2013 07:52 PM, wrote:
    >> I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    >> lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >>
    >> I just need it for:
    >>
    >> colour correctio
    >>
    >> cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    >> by dragging that selection rectangle
    >>
    >> and resizing (by pixel count and file size).
    >>

    > I do most of my editing with IrFanView ...it's free.
    >

    > For another with considerably more features but also free, there is GIMP.
    >

    > Between the above two applications I don't need anything else.

    Thanks. I will download IrFanView and GIMP when I get back later...
    Guest, Apr 28, 2013
  6. Guest

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 18:44:06 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    : On 2013-04-27 18:02:40 -0700, nospam <> said:
    :
    : > In article <>,
    : > <> wrote:
    : >
    : >> I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    : >> lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    : >>
    : >> I just need it for:
    : >>
    : >> colour correctio
    : >>
    : >> cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    : >> by dragging that selection rectangle
    : >>
    : >> and resizing (by pixel count and file size).
    : >
    : > if you're on a mac, iphoto (included with the computer) will do that.
    : >
    : > otherwise, get photoshop elements. it's easy to find on sale for about
    : > $50-60. don't pay more.
    :
    : Note: He has bought a Windows 8 tablet. I am not exactly sure how PSE
    : or any of the well known suspects in the Windows World would actually
    : would function in the W8 tablet environment.

    I've not (yet, at least) tried to install a photo editor on my Windows 8
    tablet. My take is that its 2GB memory and its 60GB hard drive would make it a
    weak performer for photo editing.

    But I have installed Irfanview on a Windows 8 desktop and Digital Photo Pro on
    that desktop and on a fairly beefy Windows 8 laptop. All of those
    installations work fine.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 28, 2013
  7. Guest

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:21:11 -0500, philo  <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    : On 04/27/2013 07:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

    Is GIMP color space aware (either embedded or manually specified)? It's a bit
    annoying that Irfanview isn't.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 28, 2013
  8. Guest

    David Taylor Guest

    On 28/04/2013 01:52, wrote:
    > I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    > lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >
    > I just need it for:
    >
    > colour correctio
    >
    > cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    > by dragging that selection rectangle
    >
    > and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    Which tablet have you bought - more specifically, /exactly/ which
    version of Windows does it run?
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Apr 28, 2013
  9. Guest

    philo  Guest

    On 04/28/2013 12:09 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:21:11 -0500, philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:
    > : On 04/27/2013 07:52 PM, wrote:
    > : > I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    > : > lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    > : >
    > : > I just need it for:
    > : >
    > : > colour correctio
    > : >
    > : > cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    > : > by dragging that selection rectangle
    > : >
    > : > and resizing (by pixel count and file size).
    > : >
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > :
    > : I do most of my editing with IrFanView ...it's free.
    > :
    > :
    > : For another with considerably more features but also free, there is GIMP.
    > :
    > :
    > : Between the above two applications I don't need anything else.
    >
    > Is GIMP color space aware (either embedded or manually specified)? It's a bit
    > annoying that Irfanview isn't.
    >
    > Bob

    I cannot answer that as I do little (if any) color processing.

    I did find this info though:

    http://docs.gimp.org/nl/gimp-imaging-color-management.html

    FWIW: If you need to use CMYK then Photoshop would be the way to go

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo , Apr 28, 2013
  10. Guest

    philo  Guest

    On 04/28/2013 07:55 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 03:01:49 +0000 (UTC), <> wrote:
    >
    >> philo <philo@privcy.not> wrote:

    >>> I do most of my editing with IrFanView ...it's free.
    >>>

    >>> For another with considerably more features but also free, there is GIMP.
    >>>

    >>> Between the above two applications I don't need anything else.

    >> Thanks. I will download IrFanView and GIMP when I get back later...

    > GIMP, in my opinion, is not free if your time is worth anything. The UI
    > is awkward and error-prone.

    I've been using GIMP for years and have no idea what you mean by "error
    prone". It's hardly awkward, but yes, it is different from Photoshop.
    philo , Apr 28, 2013
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    David Taylor <> wrote:
    > On 28/04/2013 01:52, wrote:
    >> I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    >> lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >>
    >> I just need it for:
    >>
    >> colour correctio
    >>
    >> cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    >> by dragging that selection rectangle
    >>
    >> and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    > Which tablet have you bought - more specifically, /exactly/ which version
    > of Windows does it run?

    i bought the Asus Vivotab Smart which runs Windows 8 (32bit). This is an
    upgrade from my Eeepc Windows netbook, which I had not really used in ages.
    So far it seems to be faster than my Eeepc, which I put down to its new
    dual core CPU...

    Quite hard to use though as the controls in Windows 8 desktop are too tiny
    to hit reliably with my fingers.

    Irfanview Portable installed. There doesn't seem to be anyway to specify
    crop ratios, which I would need to do as sometimes I need to send photos in
    certain ratios.
    Guest, Apr 28, 2013
  12. Guest

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 13:17:37 +0000 (UTC), <> wrote:

    >David Taylor <> wrote:
    >> On 28/04/2013 01:52, wrote:
    >>> I have just bought a Windows 8 tablet and I was wondering if there is a
    >>> lightweight photo editor (free or paid) that you feel is good enough.
    >>>
    >>> I just need it for:
    >>>
    >>> colour correctio
    >>>
    >>> cropping (able to specify ratio and also to manipulate the cropping ratio
    >>> by dragging that selection rectangle
    >>>
    >>> and resizing (by pixel count and file size).

    >> Which tablet have you bought - more specifically, /exactly/ which version
    >> of Windows does it run?

    >i bought the Asus Vivotab Smart which runs Windows 8 (32bit). This is an
    >upgrade from my Eeepc Windows netbook, which I had not really used in ages.
    >So far it seems to be faster than my Eeepc, which I put down to its new
    >dual core CPU...
    >
    >Quite hard to use though as the controls in Windows 8 desktop are too tiny
    >to hit reliably with my fingers.
    >
    >Irfanview Portable installed. There doesn't seem to be anyway to specify
    >crop ratios, which I would need to do as sometimes I need to send photos in
    >certain ratios.

    I don't use Irfanview to edit, but I have it installed. Crop ratios
    are set by clicking Edit - Create Custom Crop Selection. All the
    choices are there. You then drag out your crop frame and click Crop
    Selection.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Apr 28, 2013
  13. Guest

    Peabody Guest

    says...

    > Thanks. I will download IrFanView and GIMP when I get
    > back later...

    There's also XnView, which is free.
    Peabody, Apr 28, 2013
  14. Guest

    philo  Guest

    On 04/28/2013 11:07 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

    >>> GIMP, in my opinion, is not free if your time is worth anything. The UI
    >>> is awkward and error-prone.

    >> I've been using GIMP for years and have no idea what you mean by "error
    >> prone". It's hardly awkward, but yes, it is different from Photoshop.

    > UIs are inherently subjective. I found it unusable.

    <snip>

    So did I until I decided to RTFM, then it was not so bad.
    philo , Apr 28, 2013
  15. Guest

    David Taylor Guest

    On 28/04/2013 17:52, Alfred Molon wrote:
    []
    > But a Windows 8 tablet does not use Intel processors, so (Wintel) SW
    > will not work.

    Some Win-8 tablets /do/ run on Intel processors, which is why I asked.
    As the OP is running IrfanView it rather suggests that tablet is an
    Intel one.
    --
    Cheers,
    David
    David Taylor, Apr 28, 2013
  16. Guest

    Mayayana Guest

    | But a Windows 8 tablet does not use Intel processors, so (Wintel) SW
    | will not work.

    Win8 runs on x86/x64 processors, which may or
    may not be Intel. WinRT runs on ARM processors,
    which could be Intel, but I don't think they're making
    ARM processors at this point.

    Windows "desktop" software runs on x86. So any
    Windows software can run on Win8, regardless of
    the hardware. (Why anyone would want to do that
    on a tablet is another question.)

    WinRT can *only* run Windows store apps for
    ARM. The Asus Vivotab does seem to be Win8.
    Though it can be tricky figuring out which is which.
    I saw an article recently about how common it's
    been for WinRT tablet ads to say "Windows 8".
    Microsoft has not been clear about making the
    distinction.
    Mayayana, Apr 28, 2013
  17. Guest

    Mayayana Guest

    | > UIs are inherently subjective. I found it unusable.
    |
    | So did I until I decided to RTFM, then it was not so bad.

    ? The help doesn't even have an index! Drawing a
    simple line comes under "Drawing Simple Objects". Once
    one finally finds that topic it turns out that the Shift
    key has to be held down to draw a line. There's no basic
    line tool! It has a couple of perspective tools. What's
    that? I don't know. I don't see it in the help contents,
    and besides not having an index, the help doesn't have
    word search.

    I want to like GIMP because it can do some things my
    old version of PSP can't do, but I've been waiting 15 years
    for the rough edges to get polished and it's still not
    there.
    Mayayana, Apr 28, 2013
  18. Guest

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alfred
    Molon <> wrote:

    > But a Windows 8 tablet does not use Intel processors, so (Wintel) SW
    > will not work.

    yes they do, and windows software will work, assuming it runs on win8.

    there are also windows tablets that use arm processors which run
    windows rt. those won't work.
    nospam, Apr 28, 2013
  19. Guest

    nospam Guest

    In article <kljj06$5l0$>, philo  <philo@privcy.not>
    wrote:

    > >> I've been using GIMP for years and have no idea what you mean by "error
    > >> prone". It's hardly awkward, but yes, it is different from Photoshop.

    > > UIs are inherently subjective. I found it unusable.

    > <snip>
    >
    > So did I until I decided to RTFM, then it was not so bad.

    the fact you had to rtfm means it's poorly designed, and even after you
    did rtfm, it only reached 'not so bad'.
    nospam, Apr 28, 2013
  20. Guest

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 18:03:37 +0100, David Taylor
    <> wrote:
    : On 28/04/2013 17:52, Alfred Molon wrote:
    : []
    : > But a Windows 8 tablet does not use Intel processors, so (Wintel) SW
    : > will not work.
    :
    : Some Win-8 tablets /do/ run on Intel processors, which is why I asked.
    : As the OP is running IrfanView it rather suggests that tablet is an
    : Intel one.

    I'm running Irfanview on a desktop and a laptop, but not yet on a tablet.

    I think all Windows 8 tablets assume the Intel command architecture, but of
    course not all tablets run Windows 8.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Apr 29, 2013