WHICH LENS? - SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF Super Zoom 4 - for Canon 300d Rebel D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by No Spam, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF Super Zoom 4 for
    Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?

    A local dealer is offering these lenses for a reasonable price.

    Any advice on these lenses or best choice of the two would be
    appreciated. I already have the 18-55 to go with them, and am aware of
    the conversion factor thanks.

    I like the facility of the macro and price on the first,
    but the 2nd choice would mean no changes of lenses at all, with loss
    of macro facility, at almost double the price.

    -----------------Be Kind _ Cut the Spec Before Reply---------------

    SIGMA AUTO FOCUS ZOOM LENS:
    70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II TELEPHOTO Price: £109

    Sigma's New 70-300mm DL Macro Super II F4 - 5.6 Lens Uses DL (Low
    Dispertion Glass). This allows the user to obtain super crisp images
    even in very bright conditions or where there is high contrast.Sigma
    lenses are rated amoungst the very highest quality range of lenses
    available for moden SLR Cameras.
    A Favourite with Professional Photographers using both film and
    Digital Media and highly regarded by Wildlife Photographers.

    It incorporates only MC (Multi-Coated) DL Glass lens elements
    throughout.

    Resolving the highest resolution (LPM) from corner to corner this is
    an unbeatable lens in the sub £300 class!

    A lens hood is included to ensure no lens flair will creep into your
    shots.

    The lens materials used in this new lens are newly developed, lead and
    arsenic free ecological glass.

    This highly cost effective telephoto zoom lens enables macro
    photography at a magnification of 1:2 at a focal length of 300mm.
    Special Low-Dispersion glass (SLD) compensates for colour aberration.
    The minimum shooting distance is normally 59.1" / 1.5m and 37.4 " /
    0.95m in macro mode. The lens compensates for the fluctuation of
    aberration due to focussing, and is the ideal lens for portrait, sport
    and nature photography, all of which frequently require the use of
    more powerful telephoto lenses.

    SIGMA AUTO FOCUS ZOOM LENS: Price: £189.00
    28-300mm Compact Super Zoom

    Sigma's Latest 28-300mm IF (Internal Focussing) Compact Super Zoom.
    One lens for all occasions! The highest optical quality available over
    this impressive zoom range. Sigma lenses are rated amoungst the very
    highest quality range of lenses available for modern SLR Cameras.
    A Favourite Walkers, Climbers, Travellers and all those who want the
    benefits of SLR Photography without the size and weight associated
    with all the lenses required to cover the full range of angles.
    Suitable for both film and Digital Media and the first choice for
    those who don't want to carry a gadget bag around with them.

    It incorporates only MC (Multi-Coated) Asperical Glass lens elements
    throughout.

    Resolving the better resolution (LPM), it is an unbeatable lens over
    this range.

    The lens materials used in this new lens are newly developed, lead and
    arsenic free ecological glass.

    100% Feature Compatable with all current AutoFocus SLR's - Both Film
    and Digital.
    No Spam, Nov 22, 2003

  2. No Spam

    Don Coon Guest

    "No Spam" <> wrote in message
    > SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF Super Zoom 4 for
    > Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?
    >
    > A local dealer is offering these lenses for a reasonable price.
    >
    > Any advice on these lenses or best choice of the two would be
    > appreciated. I already have the 18-55 to go with them, and am aware of
    > the conversion factor thanks.
    >
    > I like the facility of the macro and price on the first,
    > but the 2nd choice would mean no changes of lenses at all, with loss
    > of macro facility, at almost double the price.

    I haven't seen a "Super Zoom" rated above "average" on www.photozone.de ---
    for good reason. Construction of an 11X 28-200 involved too many
    unacceptable compromises. The two Sigmas listed at the site are rated
    "sub-average." In the user data base they are rated the worst of all --
    optically (poor), focusing speed (very slow) and build quality (bad & OK).

    Since you've already covered the low end well with the 18-55mm, I'd
    definitely look for a 70-300. The gap from 55 to 70 is insignificant. The
    Sigma 70-300 rates, although it's only rated average, is much better than
    the 28-200.

    Best of Luck!
    Don Coon, Nov 22, 2003

  3. No Spam

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    No Spam wrote:

    > SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm
    > AF Super Zoom 4 for Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?

    Any 28-300 zoom produces very soft pictures and
    horrible distortion. Forget about it (BTW, the Tamron
    version isn't any better.)

    If you want to buy Sigma, consider their "tele+standard
    zoom set", which includes the lens you mentioned and
    a 28-80 for a little more than what you'd pay the 70-300
    alone. Good deal. Both are decent amateur lenses, but
    not particularly fast. The 28-300 is junk.
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 22, 2003
  4. No Spam

    Don Guest

    Have you thought about the Tamron 28 to 300. I have one on my 10D and am
    very happy with it. It has some minor CA problems but when you consider it
    dollar for dollar (or in your case Pound for Pound) it's good value.

    regards
    Don

    Don, Nov 22, 2003
  5. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    Thanks Don

    CA Problem?

    I Thought perhaps Tamron/ Sigma might be the same lenses.

    Any other makes ?

    No Spam, Nov 22, 2003
  6. No Spam

    Don Guest

    Chromatic Aberration. Different lens manufacturer.
    regards
    Don

    ---------------------------------------

    Don, Nov 23, 2003
  7. No Spam

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The hype doesn't get around Sigma's low build quality or the fact that
    Sigma has compatibility problems that they will not address. The Canon EF
    75-300 gets high marks in this type of lens and all 28-300s are marginal at
    best.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    ----------

    Tony Spadaro, Nov 23, 2003
  8. "No Spam" <> wrote in message
    > SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF Super Zoom 4 for
    > Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?

    The reasonable price, at least on the 70-300, is due to it being a DL lens.
    This line is discontinued, and as Sigma lenses often don't work on Canon
    bodies newer than the lens i'd be most surprised if you could focus with it.
    I have a colleague whose 50mm EX macro that worked on his EOS film body fail
    to focus on his new 10D.

    Try them out thoroughly on the body first. If they fail to function in any
    way, look for the cheapest Canon alternative (Tamron and Tokina apparently
    are less problematic too).

    As for focal length range... i'd consider the telephoto zoom as opposed to
    the uberzoom. A budget zoom's quality is often inversely proportional to
    it's zoom ratio. Note this is not true with "kit" 28-70 and similar lenses
    which somehow manage to be almost as bad as lenses with three times the long
    end of the zoom range.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Nov 23, 2003
  9. No Spam

    Don Coon Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Have you thought about the Tamron 28 to 300. I have one on my 10D and am
    > very happy with it. It has some minor CA problems but when you consider

    it
    > dollar for dollar (or in your case Pound for Pound) it's good value.
    >
    > regards
    > Don

    Per PhotoZone:
    Tamron AF 3.5-6.3 28-300 Asph. LD-IF 2.37 (sub-average)

    After you've spent $900 for a camera body, it doesn't make much sense buying
    cheap lenses. Kind of like putting cheap speakers on a high-price stereo
    system.

    Super Zoom almost universally are poor performers -- relatively speaking.
    Even the $1400 Canon 35-350 L glass is only rated "average" and it's the
    highest rated.
    Don Coon, Nov 23, 2003
  10. No Spam

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    No Spam wrote:

    > I Thought perhaps Tamron/ Sigma might be
    > the same lenses.

    No, they are not. Tamron and Sigma are actually
    arch-rivals and would never in a million years
    share technology.

    > Any other makes ?

    As strange as it may seem (for someone who cares
    about picture quality), the "hyperzoom" market is a
    very large and profitable one. Sigma, Tamron, Vivitar
    and Tokina all have 28-300 lenses and they all seem
    to sell very well. For a beginner, these lenses might
    appear to be a solution to all camera problems.
    The Vivitar/Tokina (the same lens is sold under two
    different labels) only sells for a little over $100, the
    Sigma is easily found discounted for less than $200
    and only the Tamron carries a much higher price
    (about $350), due to huge ad investments and the
    resulting hype created around their XR technology
    (which, IMHO, is a complete turkey.)

    In truth (what published tests revealed), they
    all perform poorly and the funny thing is that
    the Tamron isn't any better than its competitors
    (actually, according to several reviews, the
    Sigma is even marginally sharper.)

    I guess if all you want is 6x4 prints, you can
    live with the softness of these lenses, but I find
    the distortion completely unacceptable. Unless
    you only shoot people and pets with neutral
    backgrounds, sooner or later you will notice
    that every straight line in your pictures isn't
    exactly straight...
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 23, 2003
  11. No Spam

    Don Guest

    Paolo

    I assume from your comments that you actually own the Tamron? As I
    indicated in my post I have one on my 10D and regularly shoot with it. When
    using the mid range and comparing it to my two canon lenses I am pushed to
    see the difference when printed out on A4 size prints from an I950. My
    Canon lenses are the 50mm 1.8 and the 20 to 35mm. I have shot the same shot
    with the 50mm Canon followed by the Tamron set on 50mm and as I say above,
    no real discernable difference. It is only when you push it out to the far
    end (300mm) do you start to have real world problems. However, I have
    managed to take a lot of good bird shots with it and as I cant afford L
    Canon lenses, it will do for now whilst I develop my technique and skills.
    In other words, its a good tool for a learner. Just as an aside the current
    prices here in Oz for a 35 to 350 Canon is $3,071.00 (oz$) to the Tamron 28
    to 300 $688 (oz$). In my view this makes the Tamron good value for us
    beginners. Yes, one day I will get the equivalent range by buying Canon's
    but whilst I develop as a photographer having the 28 to 300 is very useful
    and I recommend it for the above reasons.

    regards
    Don

    Don, Nov 23, 2003
  12. No Spam

    Randy Rhine Guest

    Re: WHICH LENS? - SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AF SuperZoom 4 - for Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?

    I'll add my .02 worth.

    I bought a 300D a few weeks ago and then bought a Tamron 28-300. I was
    reasonably happy with it until it got cloudy and I found that because it was so
    slow, the shutter needed to be open a LOT longer than I was used to with my
    C2100...and I was getting fuzzy shots (and I didn't wwant to drag a tripod with
    me all the time). So..I rented a Canon 28-135 IS and took some comparison
    shots...same thing, same length (to the 135 max) and in EVERY case, the 28-135
    was noticeable sharper. I have to admit...when people said the 28-300 was a poor
    performer, I didn't beleive them...but...I returned the Tamron and bought the
    Canon 28-135. At some point, I'll get a longer lens as well.

    I'm not anti-Tamron...I also have the 90 macro and like it a lot. But...as
    people have said, 28-300 is just too wide a range for good performance.

    rr

    Randy Rhine, Nov 23, 2003
  13. No Spam

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Don wrote:

    > I assume from your comments that you actually own
    > the Tamron?

    No, but I've toyed with it for a whole week and extensively
    evaluated with both my F100 and D100 through a couple
    dozen prints (chemical and electronic) in various formats.
    Same with the Sigma (which I also agree, is slightly sharper,
    but still unacceptable.) I can't vouch for the Vivitar/Tokina,
    but I believe it's safe to assume that it's even worse than
    Sigma and Tamron.

    I love my Nikkor 24-120VR and it's a very useful lens,
    considered one of the best long-excursion zooms on the
    market. This is only a 5x zoom and made with some of
    the finest 35mm optics. Still, it's no match for any of my
    Nikkor primes and I only use it for snapshots.

    > Just as an aside the current prices here in Oz for a 35 to 350
    > Canon is $3,071.00 (oz$) to the Tamron 28 to 300 $688
    > (oz$).

    I agree, the Canon 35-350 and the Nikkor 28-200
    are poor attempts to do pro-level long-excursion
    zooms. I believe they are failures in that their quality
    (or lack thereof...) is not appealing to professionals
    and their price is outside the reach of amateurs
    (especially the Canon.) This is proof enough that,
    with today's technology, a pro-level 28-200/300
    simply can't be done.

    > Yes, one day I will get the equivalent range by buying
    > Canon's but whilst I develop as a photographer having
    > the 28 to 300 is very useful and I recommend it for the
    > above reasons.

    IMHO such a lens lowers the expectations of a budding
    shutterbug and it fails to develop the photographer's ability
    to judge what's "sharp and straight" and what's not. Besides,
    knowing what lens is best for a particular job is one of the
    key elements to become a good photographer.
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 23, 2003
  14. I've never used the 28-300, but here is a shot from my 70-300 DL Macro @
    300mm...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23540341/original

    It's even cheaper (per lens) if you buy it in the Zoom-set, and the 24-70 HF
    included in the set (a 28-70 is included in some sets) is a tremendous lens
    for the money. Both are super values, mine are good sharp lenses for their
    focal ranges from corner to corner, but they aren't as rich or contrasty as
    my EX glass. The budget-minded DSLR owner can fix both of those things, to
    some degree, these days.

    George Preddy, Nov 23, 2003
  15. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    Thanks for that George

    The sharpness of the tiger image is very good.
    (Similar to the animal I photographed in Vegas the week before last?)

    Which of the photographs in the gallery were taken with the lens?
    Are the macro shots with the lens?
    What 'MP' camera took the images?
    Is the lens shown on the camera the 70-300?

    Yes the Lens Kit with wide angle/tele zoom looks a good deal,
    unfortunately I live in the UK, but will be back in LA in January.
    I wonder where these can be obtained at the best price?

    For the time being having forked out nearly $1000 for the Rebel
    the canon Lenses are out of my reach.

    In the uk I can get the 70-300 for the equivalent to $175

    No Spam, Nov 23, 2003
  16. "No Spam" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that George
    >
    > The sharpness of the tiger image is very good.
    > (Similar to the animal I photographed in Vegas the week before last?)
    >
    > Which of the photographs in the gallery were taken with the lens?

    The Tiger-face and the Moon shot are from the 70-300 DL at 300mm
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23540341
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23550330

    The house cat close-up is the 70-300 in full zoom macro mode (taken from
    about 3 feet away)...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23010761/original

    > Are the macro shots with the lens?

    The cat face is the only macro shot in the gallery, the rest are from
    non-macro lenses shots at normal focus distances.

    > What 'MP' camera took the images?

    An SD9 which is either 3.43MP or 10.3MP depending on how you measure. The
    pics might be a bit deceiving for you, the SD9 has been called a lot of
    things, but one thing its never been called is soft.

    > Is the lens shown on the camera the 70-300?

    No, this is the 600mm mirror...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23237723

    This is the 15-30 EX...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23256593

    I added these to show the lenses in the Sigma Zoom-set fully extended and
    also buttoned up...
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23550332
    http://www.pbase.com/image/23550331

    You can see the 70-300 is a lot longer than the 28-300. Also consider that
    24mm is a fairly significant WA difference from 28mm.

    > Yes the Lens Kit with wide angle/tele zoom looks a good deal,
    > unfortunately I live in the UK, but will be back in LA in January.
    > I wonder where these can be obtained at the best price?
    >
    > For the time being having forked out nearly $1000 for the Rebel
    > the canon Lenses are out of my reach.
    >
    > In the uk I can get the 70-300 for the equivalent to $175

    That's reasonable, about $150 in the States for a Canon mount. You also
    might want to consider the better APO version which is only about $50
    more...
    http://sigma-photo.com/html/pages/70_300_ams2.htm
    http://sigma-photo.com/html/pages/70_300_ms2.htm

    Both are really great lenses for the cash, with the APO being the best
    value, I think, close to a pro caliber lens. Here is a nice comparison of
    the 70-300 APO to the 70-200 EX, which is generally considered one of the
    best, if not the best, pro 70-200...
    http://www.lightreflection.com/lenstests/lenstests70300/lenstests.70300.htm
    George Preddy, Nov 23, 2003
  17. No Spam

    Phil Guest

    Re: WHICH LENS? - SIGMA 70-300mm DL MACRO Super-II or 28-300mm AFSuper Zoom 4 - for Canon 300d Rebel Digital SLR?

    Sigma 70-300 APO is a better choice than the 70-300 DL.

    Phil

    Phil, Nov 23, 2003
  18. No Spam

    Phil Guest

    Paolo Pizzi wrote:

    >The Vivitar/Tokina (the same lens is sold under two
    > different labels) only sells for a little over $100, the
    > Sigma is easily found discounted for less than $200
    > and only the Tamron carries a much higher price
    > (about $350), due to huge ad investments and the
    > resulting hype created around their XR technology
    > (which, IMHO, is a complete turkey.)

    I paid $250 for my Tamron 28-200XR and it works like a champ with my
    300D digicam.

    The digicams are more forgiving of these lenses, since the smaller focal
    plane means that the peripheral areas of the lenses are not imaged.

    I also have the Sigma 70-300APO (a better choice chromatically than the DL).

    Phil
    Phil, Nov 23, 2003
  19. No Spam

    No Spam Guest

    A good point Phil

    With only the centre portion of the lens used by the digital version,
    perhaps this will result in improved results at longer focal lenths of
    the zoom range?

    Possibly many of the adverse comments made refer to use on 35mm
    cameras where all of the lens element is used.

    I gave my Digital Rebel it's first run out today. The results are
    excellent with the Canon 18-55 lens.

    The only drawback I have found with the Canon Rebel 300d so far is the
    lack of availability of a Motordrive for this particular model.

    No Spam, Nov 23, 2003
  20. No Spam

    Phil Guest

    No Spam wrote:

    > The only drawback I have found with the Canon Rebel 300d so far is the
    > lack of availability of a Motordrive for this particular model.

    What is a "motor drive" for a digicam? They do support image sequences
    up to some speed limit, but you must mean something else.

    Phil
    Phil, Nov 23, 2003