    have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
    best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    rendering, thanks ."

    GraB, Jul 19, 2006

  2. GraB

    Daniel Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I got this e-mail from a friend:
    >
    > "I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
    > a laptop.
    > One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
    > other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
    > have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
    > best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    > rendering, thanks ."

    As I mentioned in an earlier post if your friend can wait just a little
    for prices to settle (they probably won't really settle for several
    months anyhow) due to the fallout from Conroe (read price war), that
    would be a wise move.

    If he still must buy one of those, then fair enough. However, might pay
    to prepare him for the price-performance loss he'll be seeing in the
    coming months. Then he can't say you never warned him about it in the
    first place.

    Daniel, Jul 19, 2006

  3. GraB

    Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >I got this e-mail from a friend:
    >
    >"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
    >a laptop.
    > One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
    >other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
    >have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
    >best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    >rendering, thanks ."

    And Shared Video ram..?

    go for some thing better ..

    , Jul 19, 2006
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:47:44 +1200, wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>I got this e-mail from a friend:
    >>
    >>"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
    >>a laptop.
    >> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
    >>other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
    >>have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
    >>best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    >>rendering, thanks ."
    >>

    >And Shared Video ram..?
    >

    >go for some thing better ..

    I thought he would be better with a PC. Hard drives in laptops are
    slow by comparison.

    GraB, Jul 19, 2006
  5. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I am wonder which processor would give the
    > best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    > rendering, thanks .

    Neither. IMHO.

    Laptop and Celeron type CPU and video don't really go together.
    P4Mobile AKA Centrino would be better. IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 19, 2006
  6. GraB

    JBS Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:05:56 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>I got this e-mail from a friend:
    >>
    >>"I am wondering if you could help me , I am thinking about purchasing
    >>a laptop.
    >> One is a HP intel pentium cortm Duo 2600 ( 1.66 Ghz) , the
    >>other is a Compaq presario AMD turion Duo (1.60 Ghz ). they both
    >>have 512 mb of ram, I am wonder which processor would give the
    >>best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    >>rendering, thanks ."
    >>

    > And Shared Video ram..?
    >

    > go for some thing better ..

    I think the Core Duo 2600 would be better for video editing. I suggest that
    128MB dedicated video memory is needed if you are doing a lot of video
    editing and if you want to upgrade to VISTA next year. Having said that, I
    have done video editing with a Celeron chip and shared video memory. But the
    rendering time is very slow with the lower specd laptops. If rendering time
    is not an issue, then you can get away with one of the processors referred
    to above.

    JBS, Jul 19, 2006
  7. GraB

    Jo Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> I am wonder which processor would give the
    >> best performance. Main use would be for dv video editing, and
    >> rendering, thanks .

    > Neither. IMHO.
    >
    > Laptop and Celeron type CPU and video don't really go together.
    > P4Mobile AKA Centrino would be better. IMHO.

    Agreed, unless you live in a very cold area like Antarctica and spend a
    great deal of time outdoors.

    Jo, Jul 21, 2006