Which ISP/Hosting services are Linux-friendly

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pochino, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. pochino

    pochino Guest

    Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So I
    need another ISP.

    I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with Newsgroups) and webhosting
    (15MB min) and am finding it a little hard to check the ISPs out. I
    suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered about Linux-friendly ones.

    I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.

    I've had some recent dialup problems with Paradise, possibly a combination
    of my PPPdriver and their mail server setup. The problem is from a few
    months ago I can't access their SMTP server and send mail - using their
    0867 line.

    Paradise first said I should upgrade my modem driver (Windows naturally).
    Well, I tried many recommended Init strings. Yet I am easily able to (have
    been for years) using their local AK phone line. Fetch yes, but no SMTP
    access. Amazing. Soon as I disconnect and re-dial their local no I can
    send ok. Repeatable. If I use an earlier my RISC OS model with a different
    PPPdriver I can fetch and send ok.

    contenders so far:
    i4u - newsgroups 'in a cou[le of weeks'
    webworld - newsgroups?
    quicksilver

    Any comments/recomendations?

    Thanks

    Brian

    --
    Brian Adam
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

    pochino, Sep 27, 2004

  2. pochino

    thing Guest

    pochino wrote:
    > Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So I
    > need another ISP.
    >
    > I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with Newsgroups) and webhosting
    > (15MB min) and am finding it a little hard to check the ISPs out. I
    > suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered about Linux-friendly ones.
    >
    > I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.
    >
    > I've had some recent dialup problems with Paradise, possibly a combination
    > of my PPPdriver and their mail server setup. The problem is from a few
    > months ago I can't access their SMTP server and send mail - using their
    > 0867 line.
    >
    > Paradise first said I should upgrade my modem driver (Windows naturally).
    > Well, I tried many recommended Init strings. Yet I am easily able to (have
    > been for years) using their local AK phone line. Fetch yes, but no SMTP
    > access. Amazing. Soon as I disconnect and re-dial their local no I can
    > send ok. Repeatable. If I use an earlier my RISC OS model with a different
    > PPPdriver I can fetch and send ok.
    >
    > contenders so far:
    > i4u - newsgroups 'in a cou[le of weeks'
    > webworld - newsgroups?
    > quicksilver
    >
    > Any comments/recomendations?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    I have used Paradise in and out on cable all Linux and Mac OSx,
    sendmail, fetchmail no problems, have used them for 3 odd years.

    It is possible that Paradise's dailin connections have only now been
    merged into Clear's setup, so I certainly would not bother with Clear,
    either. I have "vague problems" with NT4 and Win2k with them and get
    this "update your drivers" crap, I think its a shove off to keep you
    occupied while what ever has broken yet again gets fixed.

    I did this as a solution for a quicksilver client about 2 years ago,

    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/dialup.htm

    It is pretty standard stuff for ppp.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 27, 2004

  3. pochino

    pochino Guest

    In article <MFN5d.5545$>,
    thing <> wrote:
    > pochino wrote:
    >> Paradise/Telstra are quitting their local AKL number from this week. So
    >> I need another ISP. I'm after a dialup account (150hr/mth min, with
    >> Newsgroups) and webhosting (15MB min) and am finding it a little hard
    >> to check the ISPs out. I suppose I'll get there, but then I wondered
    >> about Linux-friendly ones. I know RISC OS is not Linux, but I'm
    >> slightly wary of MS-centred ISPs.

    > I did this as a solution for a quicksilver client about 2 years ago,
    > http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/dialup.htm
    > It is pretty standard stuff for ppp.
    > regards
    > Thing

    Thanks for that. Duly archived. Though it's just a tensy bit OS-related
    info. When I investigate debian for RISC OS which is avaiable now ...

    I'd better find another ISP if I am having problems with Paradise. Next
    question is how to tell the hosting services apart. That's in another
    post.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Adam