Which is the better?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Andy, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    G'day all.

    It's time to upgrade the ol' MCSE from NT4 to 2003 and I would like to get a
    handle on the changes to the exam formats. I know the topic, having been a
    2003 sys admin since beta, it's just that the way the exam questions are
    phrased always seem to throw me a bit. So I am going to buy a pack of
    practice exams to help get me in the right frame of mind and to bring me up
    to speed on those areas that I don't normally work with (AD, VPN, RAS for
    e.g.).

    I am looking at packs from either Measureup or Ucertify (Transcender is too
    expensive). I would appreciate your feedback on which product you think is
    the best for exam feel, explanations, study guide material, ease of use,
    value for money and post exam use as reference material.

    Thanks for your advice.

    Andy
    MCP+I, MCSE.

    Andy, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Andy

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Andy" <> say in

    > It's time to upgrade the ol' MCSE from NT4 to 2003 and I would like to
    > get a handle on the changes to the exam formats.

    not really much has changed, you can still get the questions either
    "right or wrong". Microsoft felt the switch to getting the questions
    either "right or left", though I have heard rumblings that they may be
    going to a "correct or incorrect" format. The "positive or negative"
    movement from the early 90's seems to have completely died out
    (thankfully) though there still seems to be a group pushing for "really
    good!" vs "oh, so close! try again next time".

    oh, seriously? ok, well there is some of that info on the ms learning
    page. some exams have sims now. go have a peak at
    www.microsoft.com/learning

    > I know the topic,
    > having been a 2003 sys admin since beta, it's just that the way the
    > exam questions are phrased always seem to throw me a bit. So I am
    > going to buy a pack of practice exams to help get me in the right
    > frame of mind and to bring me up to speed on those areas that I don't
    > normally work with (AD, VPN, RAS for e.g.).

    books are also good, but you know what's even better? Hands on. build
    yourself a lab using virtual machines and eval copies of the software.
    try stuff, break stuff, fix stuff, learn tons.

    > I am looking at packs from either Measureup or Ucertify (Transcender
    > is too expensive). I would appreciate your feedback on which product
    > you think is the best for exam feel, explanations, study guide
    > material, ease of use, value for money and post exam use as reference
    > material.

    I would recommend either measureup or selftest software as alternatives
    to transcender since those are the official MS recommendations

    HTH,HAND

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - (A)bort, (R)etry, (S)mack the frigging thing...

    Neil, Oct 6, 2005

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thanks Neil, that helps alot.