    -- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    -- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

    , Sep 24, 2005

  2. Darren3 Guest

    Edmonton_Guy () wrote message
    news:lAaZe.547971$s54.120334@pd7tw2no:

    > Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best
    > firewall security software?
    > I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall
    > eats up more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily
    > mean it's a worse program?

    Outpost.
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php

    Darren3, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Edmonton_Guy () wrote:
    > Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
    > security software?

    Kerio.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 25, 2005
  4. Kenneth Guest

    On 25 Sep 2005 01:44:37 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    <> wrote:

    >Edmonton_Guy () wrote:
    >> Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
    >> security software?

    >Kerio.

    Howdy,

    Few reading this know less than I about Firewalls, but...

    I had ZA installed on a few of our systems and had
    incredible networking difficulties even when it was OFF.

    Eventually, we uninstalled Zone Alarm and our networking
    problems were resolved.

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Sep 25, 2005
  5. zonealarm is the better firewall.

    no_fancy_name, Sep 25, 2005
  6. no_fancy_name wrote:

    > zonealarm is the better firewall.

    I'm using iptables and shorewall, since you saw fit to respond to my
    post and not OPs.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 25, 2005
  7. Edmonton_Guy () wrote:

    > Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
    > security software?
    > I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall eats up
    > more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily mean it's a worse
    > program?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Suppose you are running XP - then the XP builtin firewall shall suffice. It
    does the basic functions (blocking incoming requests that are not related
    to outgoing ones) just fine.
    Everything else is not a firewall anymore, instead it's cheatable and
    exploitable but leaves the user in wrong feeling of security, spiced with
    occasional warnings, most of them just like useless information.

    No desktop firewall can reliably distinguish the http request initiated by a
    trojan you got via mail or active x download from a hostile website,
    opening a tunnel, still using ms windows standard connection services, from
    a legit websearch.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 25, 2005
  8. elaich Guest

    Edmonton_Guy () wrote in news:lAaZe.547971
    $s54.120334@pd7tw2no:

    > I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall eats up
    > more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily mean it's a worse
    > program?

    Never install anything from Symantec on your computer if you don't want big
    problems.

    elaich, Sep 25, 2005
  9. Guest

    I've been hearing that a lot about both Zonelabs & Symantec
    products... Ahh well. Speaking of Symantec problems, I recently got
    Norton AV 2005 and installed it on my system and have a drive cleaner
    that I like to use to clean up and get rid of empty directories. It
    cleaned up Norton's directories and erased empty ones and next thing I
    know I got all these errors "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support
    the repair features" so I looked into it and I was getting all these
    errors because I deleted some EMPTY dirs in the Quarantine dir. I
    guess the same thing happens if you move the nav shortcuts on the
    start menu as well... For av I have to say that I'll stick with Norton
    though, it's always cleaned anything I've ever had. But I'll take your
    advice and stay away from it's firewall then,

    Thanks,

    Edmonton_Guy
    -- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
    -- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet