    pron to breaking from overclocking?

    thanks heaps

    , Aug 2, 2007

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > should i get Intel e6550, or AMD 6000 same price.
    > or
    > should i pay $120 and get a e6850?
    >
    > what is going to go the fastest and address the fastest speed ram?
    > obviously 6850 is the fastest but i see that i can get the other
    > models to that speed anyway, so how much further could i push the
    > 6850. Or is that the same processor as the 6550 just bumped up. I
    > have not heard of anyone taking the 6850 much faster than stock
    > speed???
    >
    > Which is easier to overclock for idiots? intel or AMD? Which is less
    > pron to breaking from overclocking?
    >
    > thanks heaps

    There is a 6850 here, Priming at 4GHz. But the overclocker here is
    using a fair amount of Vcore.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150589&page=3

    This E6550 is at 3.2GHz. The first post in the second thread seems
    to be doing better, and got 3.8GHz. Obviously, a high FSB motherboard
    helps with the E6550.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153644&highlight=e6550
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147890&highlight=e6550

    Prone to breaking ? You never know, until it happens. There were some
    Athlon64's that demonstrated what appeared to me to be electromigration.
    (Steadily reduced overclock with time.) There have been some Intel chips,
    that suffered "sudden death" based on applied voltage. But every time
    a new part comes out, the results could be different. It is not something
    I would be particularly worried about. If you can handle the heat from
    your high overclock, then maybe it makes sense for daily use. If your
    high overclock kicks out a lot of heat, that makes it less desirable.
    You'll probably decide to crank it down a few notches, to keep
    the temps reasonable, and then you're less likely to have a problem.

    Running the E6850 at 1.57V, doesn't sound like a good "everyday" overclock.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 2, 2007