Which is it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ingeborg, May 29, 2006.

  1. Ingeborg

    Ingeborg Guest

    pinchee wrote:

    > Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    > My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >
    > What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    > making it one and the same thing

    It's the AMD naming way. It's called an Athlon 2600+, and runs on 1.9GHz.
    In fact, there are several procs called 2600+, and the one with the
    'Barton' core runs at 1.9GHz.
    Ingeborg, May 29, 2006

  2. Ingeborg

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 12:22:11 -0700, pinchee wrote:

    > Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU. My system reports an AMD
    > Athlon 2600.
    >
    > What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's making it one
    > and the same thing

    According to AMD it's supposed to perform as fast as an intel 2.6 ghz cpu.

    Meat Plow, May 29, 2006

  3. Ingeborg

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 12:22:11 -0700, "pinchee" <> wrote:

    >Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    >Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    >My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >
    >What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    >making it one and the same thing

    Please fix your clock.

    --
    "You must be smarter than ->|<- this stick to ride the Internet."
    --SleepyOne
    Mara, May 29, 2006
  4. Ingeborg

    7 Guest

    pinchee wrote:

    > Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    > My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >
    > What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    > making it one and the same thing

    SystemRescueCD is a liveCD that has many utilities
    tells you a lot of things about your PC including your CPU
    It boots off of the CD so no need to run up other operating
    systems or install it in order to run it - particularly
    handy when building systems and you haven't installed an OS yet.
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    All open source, free and comes with source code.
    7, May 29, 2006
  5. Ingeborg

    Dan Evans Guest

    "pinchee" <> wrote in message
    > Win XP Pro SP2
    >
    > Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    > My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >
    > What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    > making it one and the same thing

    Yep, name and speed are not the same thing. AMD's names are the Intel speed
    equivalents.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 29, 2006
  6. Ingeborg

    pinchee Guest

    Mara:
    I thought that my clock was OK but you are a cut above!
    I was wondering why my posts were not showing up - I had
    posted this question earlier in the day but I could find no post
    when I checked later. I tried several items then discovered one
    of my twin great-granddaughter at 4 years old had some how
    reset my clock to Jan, 2002. I have no idea how you knew but
    you were right even though that incorrect time was not visible
    (at least to me) in my post.

    pinchee, May 29, 2006
  7. Ingeborg

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:10:51 -0700, "pinchee" <> wrote:

    >Mara:
    >I thought that my clock was OK but you are a cut above!
    >I was wondering why my posts were not showing up - I had
    >posted this question earlier in the day but I could find no post
    >when I checked later. I tried several items then discovered one
    >of my twin great-granddaughter at 4 years old had some how
    >reset my clock to Jan, 2002. I have no idea how you knew but
    >you were right even though that incorrect time was not visible
    >(at least to me) in my post.

    I knew because, had your machine been set to the correct local time for *you,*
    it would have shown up in my client as being the correct local time for *me,*
    also. It didn't; it was ahead. When timezones/clock settings are wrong on
    someone's machine, it will almost certainly be *someone else* who notices it,
    and not the poster with the problem.

    "Looks like you got it fixed. Thanks. :)"

    <snip>

    pinchee, May 29, 2006
  9. 7 wrote:
    > pinchee wrote:
    >

    >>Win XP Pro SP2
    >>
    >>Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    >>My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >>
    >>What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    >>making it one and the same thing

    > SystemRescueCD is a liveCD that has many utilities
    > tells you a lot of things about your PC including your CPU
    > It boots off of the CD so no need to run up other operating
    > systems or install it in order to run it - particularly
    > handy when building systems and you haven't installed an OS yet.
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > All open source, free and comes with source code.

    *squaaawk* LiveCD, LiveCD *squaaaawwwk*
    --
    No matter the problem, LiveCD is the answer.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 30, 2006
  10. Ingeborg

    Mikey Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    > > pinchee wrote:
    > >

    > >>Win XP Pro SP2
    > >>
    > >>Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    > >>My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    > >>
    > >>What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    > >>making it one and the same thing

    > > SystemRescueCD is a liveCD that has many utilities
    > > tells you a lot of things about your PC including your CPU
    > > It boots off of the CD so no need to run up other operating
    > > systems or install it in order to run it - particularly
    > > handy when building systems and you haven't installed an OS yet.
    > > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > > All open source, free and comes with source code.

    > *squaaawk* LiveCD, LiveCD *squaaaawwwk*
    > --
    > No matter the problem, LiveCD is the answer.

    Even the problem of world hunger?
    Mikey, May 30, 2006
  11. Ingeborg

    Guest

    Mikey <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:

    |>Rôgêr wrote:

    |>> *squaaawk* LiveCD, LiveCD *squaaaawwwk*
    |>> --
    |>> No matter the problem, LiveCD is the answer.

    |>Even the problem of world hunger?

    You throw a bunch of liveCD's into a large pot of water, some onions
    for flavor, potatoes, meat, little spice and serve. - variation of
    stone stew.

    --
    Quantum Physics Double Slit Experiment
    http://tinyurl.com/pd9gy
  12. Ingeborg

    Plato Guest

    pinchee wrote:

    > Belarc says I have an AMD 1900 megahertz CPU.
    > My system reports an AMD Athlon 2600.
    >
    > What is what or is it because AMD's method of naming CPU's
    > making it one and the same thing

    Learn the difference between acual cpu times and cpu marketing names.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 1, 2006