    Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)

    vs

    Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    Deck, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Deck wrote:
    > Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >
    > vs
    >
    > Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    This cannot be answered without more information. It depends what you
    are doing, and other factors such as the chipsets with which these
    processors are paired.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Deck

    Deck Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Deck wrote:
    >> Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >>
    >> vs
    >>
    >> Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    > This cannot be answered without more information. It depends what you are
    > doing, and other factors such as the chipsets with which these processors
    > are paired.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    well, specifically i'm trying to compare these two:

    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKTOS7073
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKHNB4108

    no gaming, just for programming.

    Deck, Mar 15, 2006
  4. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:29:55 +1300, Deck wrote:

    > Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >
    > vs
    >
    > Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    Well...

    The first of the two has a faster CPU, but a slower FSB.

    The second of the two has a slower CPU and a faster FSB.

    If you are genuinely wanting a machine that can do more work, then why are
    you not considering AMD processors? They are by far the most productive on
    the market at the moment.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Deck wrote:
    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Deck wrote:
    >>> Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >>>
    >>> vs
    >>>
    >>> Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    >> This cannot be answered without more information. It depends what you are
    >> doing, and other factors such as the chipsets with which these processors
    >> are paired.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > well, specifically i'm trying to compare these two:
    >
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKTOS7073
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKHNB4108

    I am a programmer myself, and almost purchased a Presario last year. I
    didn't in the end because I couldn't get one, instead purchasing a
    smaller MSI notebook (12.1").

    Assuming you're going to be doing straight C compilation, neither will
    likely perform significantly better than the other. Both have 5400 RPM
    drives, but I'd favour the higher memory speed on the Duo however. From
    my experience, cache and memory performance are significant factors in
    compilation speed.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Deck

    Deck Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:29:55 +1300, Deck wrote:
    >
    >> Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >>
    >> vs
    >>
    >> Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    > Well...
    >
    > The first of the two has a faster CPU, but a slower FSB.
    >
    > The second of the two has a slower CPU and a faster FSB.
    >
    > If you are genuinely wanting a machine that can do more work, then why are
    > you not considering AMD processors? They are by far the most productive on
    > the market at the moment.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    ok, which AMD notebook would you recommend that's
    got more grunt in the same price range, 2500ish ?

    Deck, Mar 15, 2006
  7. On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:23:08 +1300, Deck wrote:

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:29:55 +1300, Deck wrote:
    >>
    >>> Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >>>
    >>> vs
    >>>
    >>> Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    >> Well...
    >>
    >> The first of the two has a faster CPU, but a slower FSB.
    >>
    >> The second of the two has a slower CPU and a faster FSB.
    >>
    >> If you are genuinely wanting a machine that can do more work, then why are
    >> you not considering AMD processors? They are by far the most productive on
    >> the market at the moment.

    > ok, which AMD notebook would you recommend that's
    > got more grunt in the same price range, 2500ish ?

    I wasn't commenting on "notebooks" - I was commenting on CPUs. Your
    question was about CPU and FSB speeds was it not?

    But generally, I would say if you are concerned about "grunt" then you
    should not be concerned about price. If you are concerned about price,
    then you should not be concerned about "grunt".

    But that said, I would have thought that "grunt" is something that you'd
    be more likely to find at a rugby match than in a computer store, unless
    you come across a particularly noisy shop assistant when lifting a heavy
    box. ;o)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Deck

    SNOman Guest

    Deck wrote:
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:29:55 +1300, Deck wrote:
    >>
    >>> Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >>>
    >>> vs
    >>>
    >>> Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    >> Well...
    >>
    >> The first of the two has a faster CPU, but a slower FSB.
    >>
    >> The second of the two has a slower CPU and a faster FSB.
    >>
    >> If you are genuinely wanting a machine that can do more work, then why are
    >> you not considering AMD processors? They are by far the most productive on
    >> the market at the moment.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    >> forever.
    >> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    >> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    >>

    > ok, which AMD notebook would you recommend that's
    > got more grunt in the same price range, 2500ish ?

    I've got an HP NX6125 for around $2200 +GST from memory

    64 bit capable 2.2GHZ

    SNOman, Mar 16, 2006
  9. Deck

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Deck" <> wrote in news:dva4h2$3u9$:

    > Intel Pentium M processor 760 (2.0GHz, 2Mb L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
    >
    > vs
    >
    > Intel Core Duo Proc T2300 (1.66GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB )

    The one that has the fastest hard drive.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 16, 2006