  1. doS2k5

    doS2k5 Guest

    3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

    doS2k5, Jan 4, 2005

  2. doS2k5

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "doS2k5" <> wrote in message
    news:snnCd.53665$...
    | 3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

    You probably won't notice a signficant difference. It needs to match your
    board/CPU. If your motherboard is gonna run the memory at 333MHz, why bother
    with 400MHz RAM? The only exception would be if you have plans to upgrade
    soon.

    Unless you're seriously editing video or heavy gaming or other killer work,
    the amount of RAM your talking about is probably excessive anyway.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 4, 2005

  3. doS2k5

    SgtMinor Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "doS2k5" <> wrote in message
    > | 3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400
    > |
    > You probably won't notice a signficant difference. It needs to match your
    > board/CPU. If your motherboard is gonna run the memory at 333MHz, why bother
    > with 400MHz RAM? The only exception would be if you have plans to upgrade
    > soon.
    >
    > Unless you're seriously editing video or heavy gaming or other killer work,
    > the amount of RAM your talking about is probably excessive anyway.

    doS's plans involve world domination. Three Gigs of RAM ain't gonna be
    nearly enough...

    --
    "I woulda gone for the MMV extension."

    SgtMinor, Jan 4, 2005
  4. doS2k5

    Ron Martell Guest

    "doS2k5" <> wrote:

    >3GB memory when using DDR333 or 2 GB memory when using DDR400

    Depends on your application load.

    If the computer is actually using the paging file with 2 gb of DDR400
    - that is it is moving active memory content from RAM to the paging
    file so as to free up that RAM for other, currently more important,
    uses then the 3 gb will reduce or even eliminate this paging activity
    and therefore the computer will perform faster.

    On the other hand if there is no or minimal actual use of the paging
    file with 2 gb of RAM then the 3 gb will not provide any additional
    benefit and the change from DDR400 to DDR333 will slow things down
    slighty.

    A free utility written by MVP Bill James to report on actual usage of
    the paging file in Windows XP can be downloaded from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 4, 2005
  5. doS2k5

    doS2k5 Guest

    Thanks Ron, I have an AMD64 3400+ cpu,I forgot to mention that.
    TIA

    doS2k5, Jan 4, 2005
  6. doS2k5

    doS2k5 Guest