    experience out there?
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Alan F Cross <> wrote:

    > Would like to know which is faster for transfer to PC - a USB-enabled
    > Lexar card ("850kB/s") with a Jumpshot cable, or conventional USB2 card
    > reader?

    My *tests* with a Lexar 2Gb 40x card show that the Jumpshot USB
    "reader" has a transfer rate of 775kb/sec. My cheapo PNY USB 1.1
    reader manages 932kb/sec with the same card. I don't have USB 2.0 but
    I do have Firewire and my Addonics Firewire Mini Digidrive reads at
    5898kb/sec or 7.6x the Jumpshot.

    You might want to review this review of card readers.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6191-6217

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Pat Chaney <> wrote:

    > Note also that the JumpShot cable doesn't actually come with the Lexar
    > cards

    My 2Gb 40X did.

    All the "Professional" series are provided with the Jumpshot USB
    reader as far as I can tell.

    http://store.digitalfilm.com/index.cfm?category=8

    "Includes free JumpShot cable" (and Image Rescue BTW)
    1Gb CF Pro Series 32x WA
    256Mb CF Pro Series 40x WA
    512Mb CF Pro Series 40x WA
    2Gb CF Pro Series 40x WA

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Alan F Cross

    Pat Chaney Guest

    Re: Which is faster - USB-enabled Lexar card with Jumpshot, orconventional USB2 card reader?

    On 15/7/03 2:40 am, "Stuart Middleton-White" <>
    wrote:

    >> Note also that the JumpShot cable doesn't actually come with the Lexar
    >> cards

    > My 2Gb 40X did.
    >
    > All the "Professional" series are provided with the Jumpshot USB
    > reader as far as I can tell.

    In the US maybe, but not here in the UK - at least mine wasn't. The box
    contained a card that referenced an URL from where the free JumpShot cable
    could be ordered (which annoyingly doesn't work outside the US anyway).

    I only mentioned this because I happen to know that Alan (who I was replying
    to) is also in the UK.

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

    Pat Chaney, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Pat Chaney <> wrote:

    > In the US maybe, but not here in the UK - at least mine wasn't. The box
    > contained a card that referenced an URL from where the free JumpShot cable
    > could be ordered (which annoyingly doesn't work outside the US anyway).

    I assume you mean that the URL doesn't work outside the US, not the
    Jumpshot (a standard USB device). Have you asked Lexar about it? Their
    Image Rescue software only works with the Jumpshot reader so if you
    bought a "Pro" card I'd make a fuss about it.

    I can only think that their Jumpshot lacks patent protection in the UK
    or infringes someones UK patent. Strange stuff like that happens
    sometimes. I read that the Canon A2-E lacked the manual mode LED
    bargraph available in the international EOS 5 version because it
    infringed a US patent at the time. This no longer seems to be an issue
    because my D60 has it (as does my A2 after it was EOS 5'ed--a firmware
    update--by Horizon Electronis in California).

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!

    Stuart Middleton-White, Jul 15, 2003