Which is best and EASIEST

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Carol, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Carol

    Carol Guest

    I'm going to get new dsl/cable, wireless router and I don't know which is
    the best for my needs.
    I'm currently using a 4 port 802.11a/b/g Microsoft router. all my computers
    have different wireless network cards. I have a computer that has difficulty
    getting to the router all the time because of the mirrored and tiled wall
    between them. There is no place to put a bridge between them. So I was
    looking for something with a little more strength than the one I have.
    I have:
    1 hard wired computer
    4 802.11g
    2 802.11b
    1 cable modem
    2 cable VOIP phone services
    (3 devices hard wired and 6 connect wirelessly b/g and the cable modem)

    All computer need to have file and printer sharing with each of the other
    computers (I've been using simple file sharing. I use MAC filtering and WEP
    128.)
    2 computers have WinXP Pro and 3 have WinXP Home, 1 has WMC 2005 and 1 has
    Windows ME

    MOST IMPORTANT, I want it to be easy to switch over to. The only reason I
    never switched before is because I was afraid to change and get everything
    set up so that the computer all connect without a problem. At least now I
    can get most of the computer on at one time, but at worst I shut down one
    computer to get another connected. But I can get them all connected when I
    need them.

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Carol

    Carol, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Carol

    Kevin Guest

    If I understand what you are saying, you are thinking about getting a new
    router, not new internet service? Linksys makes good routers and they have
    good broadcasting strength. Place your router/wireless gateway at the
    highest position you can reasonably get it. It needs to be centrally
    located.

    Kevin, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Thanks Kevin, you are correct... it is the router I'm looking to replace. Is
    a 4 port router enough or should I get one with more ports?

    Carol, Nov 11, 2005