    Exactly what kind of hood 'fitting' do I need?

    Will a polarizing filter help? I take a lot of shots over water.

    TIA!
    Mark, Jul 17, 2010

  2. Mark

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 17/07/2010 22:04, Mark wrote:
    > I've just bought one of these for a Sony A100:
    > Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony/
    > Minolta (Link to it on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s)
    >
    > Exactly what kind of hood 'fitting' do I need?
    >
    > Will a polarizing filter help? I take a lot of shots over water.

    Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    with a slit for the PLC filter finger).

    PLC filters are also difficult to use when the front element rotates
    with focus (or zoom). They can be useful at times though (but a hood is
    cheaper and always useful).

    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Jul 17, 2010

  3. Mark

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:58:11 +0200, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    : On 17/07/2010 22:04, Mark wrote:
    : > I've just bought one of these for a Sony A100:
    : > Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony/
    : > Minolta (Link to it on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s)
    : >
    :
    : Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    : all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    : with a slit for the PLC filter finger).
    :
    : PLC filters are also difficult to use when the front element rotates
    : with focus (or zoom). They can be useful at times though (but a hood is
    : cheaper and always useful).

    What "protruding finger"? The only protrusion I ever heard of on a polarizing
    filter was on the polarizers they used to make for rangefinder cameras. Those
    had an arm with a second filter attached, so that you could see the effect the
    filter on the lens was going to have.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 18, 2010
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On 17 July, 21:58, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    > On 17/07/2010 22:04, Mark wrote:
    >
    > > I've just bought one of these for a Sony A100:
    > > Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony/
    > > Minolta (Link to it on Amazon:http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s)

    > > Will a polarizing filter help? I take a lot of shots over water.

    > Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    > all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    > with a slit for the PLC filter finger).

    So will any 62mm hood fit it? (http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s) Or is there
    a specific fitting I need to look for?
    Mark, Jul 18, 2010
  5. Mark

    me Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 04:35:15 -0700 (PDT), Mark <>
    wrote:

    >On 17 July, 21:58, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    >> On 17/07/2010 22:04, Mark wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've just bought one of these for a Sony A100:
    >> > Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony/
    >> > Minolta (Link to it on Amazon:http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s)

    >> > Will a polarizing filter help? I take a lot of shots over water.

    >> Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    >> all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    >> with a slit for the PLC filter finger).

    >So will any 62mm hood fit it? (http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s) Or is there
    >a specific fitting I need to look for?

    According to the B&H page it comes with a hood:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...700_AF_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3_Di_II.html#features

    For an aftermarket one see
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._AF_18_250mm_f_3_5_6_3_Di_II.html#accessories
    for some possible help.
    me, Jul 18, 2010
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Jul 18, 1:46 pm, me <> wrote:

    > According to the B&H page it comes with a hood:

    Thanks for the links, very helpful. I've checked, and it does come
    with a hood.
    Mark, Jul 18, 2010
  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    On Jul 18, 1:46 pm, me <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 04:35:15 -0700 (PDT), Mark <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    > >> all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    > >> with a slit for the PLC filter finger).

    > >So will any 62mm hood fit it? (http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s) Or is there
    > >a specific fitting I need to look for?

    > According to the B&H page it comes with a hood:
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477062-REG/Tamron_AF018S700_AF_...
    >
    > For an aftermarket one seehttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477062-REG/Tamron_AF018S700_AF_...
    > for some possible help.

    Many thanks for the link, I've checked and it does come with a hood.
    You've saved me some hassle and money.
    Mark, Jul 18, 2010
  8. Mark

    krishnananda Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Mark <> wrote:

    > On 17 July, 21:58, Ofnuts <> wrote:
    > > On 17/07/2010 22:04, Mark wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've just bought one of these for a Sony A100:
    > > > Tamron AF 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Sony/
    > > > Minolta (Link to it on Amazon:http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s)

    > > > Will a polarizing filter help? I take a lot of shots over water.

    > > Hoods an PLC filters are difficult to use together (when they work at
    > > all, due to the protruding finger on the filter)(except on some hoods
    > > with a slit for the PLC filter finger).

    > So will any 62mm hood fit it? (http://tinyurl.com/36fpe7s) Or is there
    > a specific fitting I need to look for?

    B&H recommends this one:

    <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=
    kitInfo&Q=&sku=684841&is=REG>

    <http://tinyurl.com/39zn8kh>

    Pearstone 62mm Snap-on Tulip Lens Hood

    "The Pearstone 62mm Snap-on Tulip Lens Hood is designed to fit lenses
    with a 62mm filter thread. The hood works best with lenses with an 18 to
    105mm focal length. With wider lenses, especially on full frame cameras,
    some slight vignetting might occur. The "petal" shape of this lens hood
    maximizes the amount of hood coverage with the minimum amount of weight
    and hood area."
    krishnananda, Jul 18, 2010