Which Gitzo tripod/head for trekking?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. I'm thinking of buying a small Gitzo tripod to take on treks, but
    would also like to use it for general purpose use (simply because of
    the expense!).

    I've got Canon 10D and a number of lenses, the heaviest ones being
    the Canon 28-135mm IS, and a Canon 75-300mm (1:4-5.6 II). Plus I'd
    use a battery grip (not always), so the combo isn't exactly
    lightweight!

    I've had a look at the Gitzo website but I couldn't get all the
    information that I wanted. The tripod that seems suited for my needs
    is the G1227G. I'm also tempted by their "Explorer" range with their
    offset centre columns, but I can't find any technical specs like
    height, weight, materials (carbon, aluminium), etc. Frankly, the
    website could be a little more "user friendly"!

    Anyway, I was thinking of using the G1227G tripod with the G1276 M or
    G1378 M heads (with quick release). But I would like to find out more
    on the "Explorer" range. Does anyone have any experience and advice
    on what to go for? Ideally I'd like to go to a dealer in London and
    have a hands-on. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Regards,

    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu
    Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm

    "It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Bowser Guest

    I have an 1127 that I've used with a Nikon F100/80-400VR lens, as well as a
    Pentax 645 camera. Key to the stability is the choice of head. I use a Kirk
    ball head (the smaller model) and it's very good.

    Bowser, Sep 26, 2003

  3. On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:41:18 -0400, "Bowser" <> wrote:

    >I have an 1127 that I've used with a Nikon F100/80-400VR lens, as well as a
    >Pentax 645 camera. Key to the stability is the choice of head. I use a Kirk
    >ball head (the smaller model) and it's very good.

    Thanks for that. I eventually bought the carbon-fibre Gitzo G2227
    tripod with a G1276M head. The combo is a bit heavier than my older
    aluminium tripod and it isn't quite as fast in setting up. But it is
    rock solid and that's one thing that my old tripod lacked...and
    that's the most important thing.

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Oct 1, 2003
  4. On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:26:17 +0100, Kulvinder Singh Matharu
    <> wrote:
    [snip]
    >Thanks for that. I eventually bought the carbon-fibre Gitzo G2227
    >tripod with a G1276M head. The combo is a bit heavier than my older

    Follow-up to my post! Luminous Landscape have just put up a review of
    the Gitzo G1227 if you're interested...

    <http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/gitzo-2227.shtml>

    Here, Alain Briot says that setting it up isn't as easy as it could
    be, but generally the tripod is excellent and opens up several new
    opportunities.

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Oct 4, 2003