Which free Zone Alarm (4 or 5) uses less power?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jane P, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Jane P

    Jane P Guest

    Which version of free Zone Alarm should I go for if I am concerned
    about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?

    I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature (mail checking, etc)
    except the main firewall feature.

    I hope someone here can advise. Thank you.

    jane

    ---------------

    Here are some background details ....

    I have used only ever used FREE firewalls. I used to use Zone Alarm
    when it was version 2 and 3 but I found it sucked up too much power
    on my rather basic PC (700 MHz with 768 MB).

    Back then I replaced Zone Alarm with Kerio 2.1.5 but over time I
    found Kerio's reporting to be a bit too basic so I went over to the
    free version of Sygate. I like Sygate.

    Somehow Sygate has got all tangled up in my XP Pro's registry and
    System Internal's RegMon shows Sygate is probably slowing down other
    processes on the PC, notably Win Explorer.

    In order to sort this out, I removed Sygate and I enable XP's own
    rudimentary firewall.

    I might have installed Free Agnitum Outpost or Free Kerio 5 but they
    have had some unenthusiastic reviews.

    So I am now thinking of installing the free version of Zone Alarm 4
    or 5 but I am concerned about making my PC too slow. I will image
    the whole system as a backup before I do this.

    As I said earlier, I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature
    (mail checking, etc) except the main firewall feature.

    Which version of Zone Alarm (version 4 or 5) should I go for if I am
    concerned about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?

    Jane P, Jan 1, 2005

  2. "Jane P" <> wrote in message
    > Which version of free Zone Alarm should I go for if I am concerned
    > about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?
    >
    > I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature (mail checking, etc)
    > except the main firewall feature.
    >
    > I hope someone here can advise. Thank you.
    >
    > jane

    You don't say anything about why you think you need a firewall and what you
    want it to do.
    Are you using XP SP2 with all Windows updates?
    My advice would be to turn on the built in firewall in XP SP2 if it isn't on
    already. I might then want to get some information about whether any
    Internet communication can take place which I want to block. So I'd run some
    of these
    http://www.google.com/search?&q="security scan" to see how I look to the
    outside world. I might also want to know something about outgoing
    connections so I'd use netstat or
    http://www.google.com/search?&q=tcpview
    and perhaps also ipconfig /displaydns to see what has been contacted.
    I'd then be in a better position to decide whether additional firewall
    software is going to be of benefit or is simply going to increase the
    complexity of the system while providing no real benefit.

    You should block unwanted incoming connection requests with an external box
    not with a software firewall. There are many good reasons for this.
    Reinstalling XP without an external firewall is risky because it's likely to
    get a worm infection before you have a chance to get the updates.
    An external firewall cannot easily be compromised by other software on your
    PC.

    Something like this is suitable
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=433
    It is simple to configure (in many cases just plug it in and it works).
    It also makes it easy to get additional PC online.
    In some cases a broadband modem may need to be power cycled or set up to
    recognise a different MAC address.
    If you are happy to pay more and learn how to configure it yourself then get
    something better.

    A good self updating anti-virus solution is essential, far more essential
    than firewall software. You may also need an anti-adware/spyware solution if
    you are using Internet Explorer.

    Jason

    Jason Edwards, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Jane P

    Roger Abell Guest

    The choice also depends on what it is that you do
    on the machine. For example, I had a full license
    of the Pro version of these on one of my client XPs
    from 4.0 onward, but found I had to uninstall it when
    the changes of 5.0 came along as it interferred with
    use of the machine as web development client with
    local IIS.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    Roger Abell, Jan 1, 2005
  4. I have used the free version of Sygate with no problem on XP computers. If
    you are having all those problems it might be time to do a fresh install and
    start over. The free version of Zone Alarm is fine, easier for most users,
    but not near as powerful as Sygate for logging. I don't believe any is a
    drag on the system and you can use Task Manager to get a basic idea about
    that.

    Having said that I much prefer using a NAT router/firewall device if using
    cable/dsl. Then you don't run into problems with the operating system. Of
    course you can supplement a hardware device with a host firewall if you have
    the need to protect yourself from other computers on your lan or need to
    control which applications can access the internet [lockdown other users].
    Personally I find the built in ICF firewall in XP to be very good for what
    it does. It is easy to configure, built in, has logging, and seems to be
    failry robust. It does not of course manage outbound traffic but I don't
    need it for that. If you can trust your self to do "safe browsing" and are
    good upbout keeping current with critical updates, using hard to guess
    passwords, and use a virus scan program that is kep up to date and scans all
    emails you may well find that the XP ICF firewall is all you need. I don't
    need my host firewall to be an "malware indicator". --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Jane P

    Woody Guest

    Any firewall will use up resources depending on how much traffic it has to
    process from the internet. You don't say if you are on broadband or dial-up.
    If broadband get a router/firewall. It will block most of the traffic before
    it gets to your PC. Install one of the free firewalls to monitor any
    outgoing traffic. Also install AdAware or SpyBot or both and clean up the
    tracking cookies as they eat up processor cycles. Also use a cookie blocking
    program to prevent them being installed. ZAPro has the option of blocking
    the cookies, ads, and mobile code. It works for me on my desktop and on my
    750 meg laptop..

    Woody, Jan 1, 2005
  6. Jane P

    Christo Guest

    "Jane P" <> wrote in message
    > Which version of free Zone Alarm should I go for if I am concerned
    > about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?
    >
    > I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature (mail checking, etc)
    > except the main firewall feature.
    >
    > I hope someone here can advise. Thank you.
    >
    > jane
    >
    > ---------------
    >
    > Here are some background details ....
    >
    > I have used only ever used FREE firewalls. I used to use Zone Alarm
    > when it was version 2 and 3 but I found it sucked up too much power
    > on my rather basic PC (700 MHz with 768 MB).
    >
    > Back then I replaced Zone Alarm with Kerio 2.1.5 but over time I
    > found Kerio's reporting to be a bit too basic so I went over to the
    > free version of Sygate. I like Sygate.
    >
    > Somehow Sygate has got all tangled up in my XP Pro's registry and
    > System Internal's RegMon shows Sygate is probably slowing down other
    > processes on the PC, notably Win Explorer.
    >
    > In order to sort this out, I removed Sygate and I enable XP's own
    > rudimentary firewall.
    >
    > I might have installed Free Agnitum Outpost or Free Kerio 5 but they
    > have had some unenthusiastic reviews.
    >
    > So I am now thinking of installing the free version of Zone Alarm 4
    > or 5 but I am concerned about making my PC too slow. I will image
    > the whole system as a backup before I do this.
    >
    > As I said earlier, I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature
    > (mail checking, etc) except the main firewall feature.
    >
    > Which version of Zone Alarm (version 4 or 5) should I go for if I am
    > concerned about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?

    i have read that zonealarm 4 is probably better, seen as how isreali's took
    over the company that produce ZA and later releases may allow isreali mossad
    nerds looking at your info etc etc

    i read it on this NG i think.... besides that i am running ZA 4.5 and it is
    fine i have ran 5 but can see no real difference between speed and CPU
    utlization. I have used sygate in the past but i do prefer ZoneAlarm it has
    an east to use GUI and a few neat features.

    Go for 4.5 it is older but that doesn't mean its obselete, 5.xx well its as
    good as 4.5 and is probably a bit better, but i prefer to have piece of mind
    which i do with 4.5

    HTH

    chris

    Christo, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Jane P

    Penguin_X Guest

    Christo wrote:
    > "Jane P" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Which version of free Zone Alarm should I go for if I am concerned
    >>about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?
    >>
    >>I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature (mail checking, etc)
    >>except the main firewall feature.
    >>
    >>I hope someone here can advise. Thank you.
    >>
    >>jane
    >>
    >>---------------
    >>
    >>Here are some background details ....
    >>
    >>I have used only ever used FREE firewalls. I used to use Zone Alarm
    >>when it was version 2 and 3 but I found it sucked up too much power
    >>on my rather basic PC (700 MHz with 768 MB).
    >>
    >>Back then I replaced Zone Alarm with Kerio 2.1.5 but over time I
    >>found Kerio's reporting to be a bit too basic so I went over to the
    >>free version of Sygate. I like Sygate.
    >>
    >>Somehow Sygate has got all tangled up in my XP Pro's registry and
    >>System Internal's RegMon shows Sygate is probably slowing down other
    >>processes on the PC, notably Win Explorer.
    >>
    >>In order to sort this out, I removed Sygate and I enable XP's own
    >>rudimentary firewall.
    >>
    >>I might have installed Free Agnitum Outpost or Free Kerio 5 but they
    >>have had some unenthusiastic reviews.
    >>
    >>So I am now thinking of installing the free version of Zone Alarm 4
    >>or 5 but I am concerned about making my PC too slow. I will image
    >>the whole system as a backup before I do this.
    >>
    >>As I said earlier, I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature
    >>(mail checking, etc) except the main firewall feature.
    >>
    >>Which version of Zone Alarm (version 4 or 5) should I go for if I am
    >>concerned about losing too much PC power to running the firewall?
    >>

    > i have read that zonealarm 4 is probably better, seen as how isreali's took
    > over the company that produce ZA and later releases may allow isreali mossad
    > nerds looking at your info etc etc
    >
    > i read it on this NG i think.... besides that i am running ZA 4.5 and it is
    > fine i have ran 5 but can see no real difference between speed and CPU
    > utlization. I have used sygate in the past but i do prefer ZoneAlarm it has
    > an east to use GUI and a few neat features.
    >
    > Go for 4.5 it is older but that doesn't mean its obselete, 5.xx well its as
    > good as 4.5 and is probably a bit better, but i prefer to have piece of mind
    > which i do with 4.5
    >

    > HTH
    >
    > chris

    Hi !

    On my windows box, i use zone alarm 4.x. Zone Alarm 4.x isn't obsolete
    if you setup it correctly. If you need firewall setting tutorials or
    more info about "free" firewall mail-me. I'm not sure, but i think
    open-source firewalls exist for windows. I will search about that, i
    write you back..

    See ya !

    Penguin_X, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Jane P

    Sam Guest

    Christo said ...
    > i have read that zonealarm 4 is probably better, seen as how isreali's took
    > over the company that produce ZA and later releases may allow isreali mossad
    > nerds looking at your info etc etc

    oh dear, statements like that make me laugh out loud! We'll hear next
    how those nasty Zionists are plotting to take over the world ... no ...
    they already have done ;-)
    --
    Sam

    Sam, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Jane P

    Jane P Guest

    On 01 Jan 2005, Jason Edwards wrote:

    > Something like this is suitable
    > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=433
    > It is simple to configure (in many cases just plug it in and it
    > works). It also makes it easy to get additional PC online.
    > In some cases a broadband modem may need to be power cycled or
    > set up to recognise a different MAC address.

    Jason, that looks like a bargain. The best I found was £44 (inc Vat
    but not delivery) from Simply.

    > If you are happy to pay more and learn how to configure it
    > yourself then get something better.

    What would the next model up from a Linksys BEFSX41 be? I use NTL
    cable but might go over to ADSL some time.

    I'm a novice but I am prepared, as you suggest, to make the effort to
    configure the Firewall/Router device

    Of course, I won't become a data comms expert no matter how much time
    I devote but I can do what an intelligent (?) amateur might attempt.

    Jane P, Jan 10, 2005
  10. "Jane P" <> wrote in message
    > On 01 Jan 2005, Jason Edwards wrote:
    >
    > > Something like this is suitable
    > > http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=433
    > > It is simple to configure (in many cases just plug it in and it
    > > works). It also makes it easy to get additional PC online.
    > > In some cases a broadband modem may need to be power cycled or
    > > set up to recognise a different MAC address.

    > Jason, that looks like a bargain. The best I found was £44 (inc Vat
    > but not delivery) from Simply.
    >

    > > If you are happy to pay more and learn how to configure it
    > > yourself then get something better.

    > What would the next model up from a Linksys BEFSX41 be?

    It depends on what you want it to do that the Linksys doesn't do.
    If learning is your goal then consider making your own firewall
    http://www.google.com/search?&q="linux firewall
    If you want something easy to configure then start with the linksys and
    consider moving to something better when you have a better picture of what
    you want it to do.

    Jason

    Jason Edwards, Jan 13, 2005
  11. Jane P

    OldCoyote Guest

    I personally use Zone Alarm 5.5 along side of AVG 7 AntiVirus. Both are the
    freeware versions I haven't had any problems with either one. I didn't
    like XP SP2 firewall although I admit I didn't take the time to tweak it
    like I should have. With Zone Alarm I've had minimal system degradation. I
    run a 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 256 Meg of RAM. I haven't gotten into heavy
    duty program development but do some small SQL 2000/ASP development projects
    and they run fine.

    OldCoyote, Jan 16, 2005