Which free webmail is safest?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Trevor Jakes, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. Trevor Jakes

    Trevor Jakes Guest

    I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    it's more of an intellectual curiousity.

    QUESTIONS:

    1.
    Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    free web e-mail?

    2.
    If so, what differences exist?

    -trev
    Trevor Jakes, Dec 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Trevor Jakes wrote:

    > I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    > scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    > reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only read


    Unless they work for Google as email readers, or Yahoo as "incoming email
    readers", they have no way to know any of this. None of us civilians do.

    Never trust armchair lawyers who claim X does Y but Z doesn't. They're
    only spreading the rumors they heard from the armchair lawyers they admire
    the most. Sure there's going to be a few isolated cases that let people
    say "told ya' so", but in the overall picture they're tiny, and
    meaningless. What you're seeing is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
    The unfortunate people who happen to have been caught.

    > mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    > privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    > it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    >
    > 1.
    > Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    > free web e-mail?


    No.

    It doesn't matter one bit what their "policy" is, or what little niggling
    things have been discovered to be true or untrue. The ONLY thing you can
    be assured of is that none of them are in any way private because email is
    in no way private and they're storing all of it for you. :)

    Human nature being what it is, if your email is being stored in the open
    by a company with any number of employees greater than zero, somewhere,
    some day, someone is going to read your mail and sell you name to the
    highest bidder.

    Welcome to reality. :)
    George Orwell, Dec 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Trevor Jakes

    Donnie Guest

    "Trevor Jakes" <> wrote in message
    news:6%Aqf.5655$xF6.1761@fed1read01...
    > I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    > scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    > reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    > read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    > privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    > it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    >
    > 1.
    > Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    > free web e-mail?
    >
    > 2.
    > If so, what differences exist?
    >
    > -trev

    #################################
    Probably, there isn't much of a difference. I've been using inbox.com for
    now until I get my computers setup again. All of them require that some
    scripting be run in the browser which I always block. You never know what's
    happening in the background. The bst thing to do is to have a separate
    machine just for that.
    donnie
    Donnie, Dec 23, 2005
    #3
  4. Trevor Jakes

    Donnie Guest


    > the most. Sure there's going to be a few isolated cases that let people
    > say "told ya' so", but in the overall picture they're tiny, and
    > meaningless.

    ##################################
    Isolated cases count too. They maybe tiny but I wouldn't say that they are
    meaningless.
    donnie
    Donnie, Dec 24, 2005
    #4
  5. Trevor Jakes

    David Guest

    Trevor Jakes wrote:
    > I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    > scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    > reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    > read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    > privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    > it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    >
    > 1.
    > Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    > free web e-mail?
    >
    > 2.
    > If so, what differences exist?
    >
    > -trev

    If you are storing mail on their systems, it can be, but probably won't be read. If "probably" is not good enough for you, the thing to do is use the account with an offline reader and an encryption package, make an strong (4096 bits, and use a strong hash) RSA or DSA/El Gamal encryption key pair, have your buddies do the same, and send everything encrypted. This way, even if it is stored on their systems, they cannot read it (unless maybe the NSA wants to). It mostly depends on the trouble you want to go through.

    ~David~
    David, Dec 25, 2005
    #5
  6. David wrote:

    >> Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    >> free web e-mail?
    >>
    >> 2.
    >> If so, what differences exist?
    >>
    >> -trev

    > If you are storing mail on their systems, it can be, but probably won't be
    > read. If "probably" is not good enough for you, the thing to do is use


    A lot of people would say that if it "could be" read, you have to assume
    it is. Assuming the best is sort of contradictory to everything security
    pros preach. ;)
    George Orwell, Dec 25, 2005
    #6
  7. Trevor Jakes

    traveler 66 Guest

    On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
    <> wrote:

    >I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    >scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    >reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    >read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    >privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    >it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >
    >QUESTIONS:
    >
    >1.
    >Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    >free web e-mail?
    >
    >2.
    >If so, what differences exist?
    >
    >-trev


    You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a
    proxy and at the least have java dissabled.
    traveler 66, Dec 26, 2005
    #7
  8. traveler 66 wrote:

    > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    >>scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    >>reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    >>read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    >>privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    >>it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >>
    >>QUESTIONS:
    >>
    >>1.
    >>Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    >>free web e-mail?
    >>
    >>2.
    >>If so, what differences exist?
    >>
    >>-trev

    >
    > You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a proxy
    > and at the least have java dissabled.


    What for? They can still read, archive, and sell you mail address to the
    highest bidder. That WAS what the OP was asking about.

    More totally useless information from a privacy.LIE idiot. Lemme guess, if
    the poor guy replies with "what do you mean by use a proxy", your next
    message will be.... ??

    Scumbag.
    Fritz Wuehler, Dec 26, 2005
    #8
  9. Trevor Jakes

    traveler 66 Guest

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:58:54 +0100, Fritz Wuehler wrote:

    > Path: news.privacy.li!dartmaster!s03-b11.iad01!s02-b11.iad01!63.218.45.11.MISMATCH!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!news.alt.net!anon.lcs.mit.edu!nym.alias.net!mail2news
    > From: Fritz Wuehler <>
    > Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above. It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software. Please report problems or inappropriate use to the remailer administrator at <>. Identifying the real sender is technically impossible.
    > Subject: Re: Which free webmail is safest?
    > Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
    > References: <6%Aqf.5655$xF6.1761@fed1read01>
    > Message-ID: <>
    > Precedence: anon
    > Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:58:54 +0100
    > Mail-To-News-Contact:
    > Organization:
    > Xref: news.privacy.li alt.computer.security:52577
    > Lines: 0
    >
    > traveler 66 wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    >>>scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    >>>reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
    >>>read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
    >>>privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
    >>>it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
    >>>
    >>>QUESTIONS:
    >>>
    >>>1.
    >>>Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    >>>free web e-mail?
    >>>
    >>>2.
    >>>If so, what differences exist?
    >>>
    >>>-trev

    >>
    >> You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a proxy
    >> and at the least have java dissabled.

    >
    > What for? They can still read, archive, and sell you mail address to the
    > highest bidder. That WAS what the OP was asking about.
    >
    > More totally useless information from a privacy.LIE idiot. Lemme guess, if
    > the poor guy replies with "what do you mean by use a proxy", your next
    > message will be.... ??
    >
    > Scumbag.


    The only idiot here is the one you see when you look in the mirror on any
    morning, the fact that you don't know what a proxy is tells me your an
    idiot who wouldn't know what staying anonymous using various means is,
    wether it's a public or private proxy. I bet you think these free e-mails
    don't copy your e-mail don't you.

    Why don't you go play "scumbag" somewhere else troll, like on a server with
    a black box on it, it suites you, take your friends with you "scumbag".
    traveler 66, Dec 27, 2005
    #9
  10. Trevor Jakes

    black hat Guest

    Get lost troll "scumbag", it's you...
    black hat, Dec 27, 2005
    #10
  11. **** off fritz, go stick your finger up your ass fucktard, your so
    full of shit it's comming ou your ears buddy, he's right, go find
    yourself a nice black box to play in looser
    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Dec 27, 2005
    #11
  12. traveler 66 wrote:

    > The only idiot here is <blah blah blah blubber blah>


    Well lets just find out, shall we?

    Do tell us how your proxy "solution" is going to prevent some Web Mail
    provider from doing the following things. Specifically, the exact things
    the original poster enumerated:

    1. Scanning-indexing/ad-targeting

    2. Reading all mail and attachments

    What's that you're blubbering about now? You say you can't answer this
    query? Golly heck Gilligan, do you suppose it might just be because no
    matter how many or what type of proxies you use to get to your Web Mail
    provider your emails and attachments are still stored in the clear on
    their servers?

    Naaaaaa...... couldn't be. <guffaw>

    Traveler you ignorant, misguided, slut, you can't even understand the
    question let alone come up with an intelligent answer. Now belly crawl
    your useless ass back under your dung heap before I uncork a bitch slap
    session on your ass the likes of which you've only imagined in your worst
    nightmares.
    Fritz Wuehler, Dec 27, 2005
    #12
  13. Hey Fritz, still posting anonymously and reading off idiot cards I
    see, don't loose your place troll, how many nyms is this? What a
    joke! **** you asshole
    George Orwell, Dec 27, 2005
    #13
  14. Trevor Jakes

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    black hat wrote:

    <snip 4 year old pantie soaking rants>

    What a surprise.... a privacy.LIE shill gets busted in another bout of
    cranial rectumitis and tries to "fix" it by trotting out his little sock
    puppets.

    Good job kid, drive home another casket nail like practiced expert. And
    do it from behind a remailer no less. Whatsammata, your precious
    privacy.LIE not as anonymous as you pretend it is? Are ya' SCARED?

    ROTFLMAO!

    And don't think for a second that anyone didn't notice how you substituted
    your juvenile BS for answering a question. AGAIN.
    Nomen Nescio, Dec 28, 2005
    #14
  15. Trevor Jakes

    traveler 66 Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:40:05 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio wrote:

    > Borked Pseudo Mailed wrote:
    > black hat wrote:
    >
    > <snip 4 year old pantie soaking rants>
    >
    > What a surprise.... a privacy.LIE shill gets busted in another bout of
    > cranial rectumitis and tries to "fix" it by trotting out his little sock
    > puppets.
    >
    > Good job kid, drive home another casket nail like practiced expert. And
    > do it from behind a remailer no less. Whatsammata, your precious
    > privacy.LIE not as anonymous as you pretend it is? Are ya' SCARED?
    >
    > ROTFLMAO!
    >
    > And don't think for a second that anyone didn't notice how you substituted
    > your juvenile BS for answering a question. AGAIN.


    Get your head checked out troll.
    traveler 66, Dec 28, 2005
    #15
  16. Trevor Jakes

    vernon Guest

    "Trevor Jakes" <> wrote in message
    news:6%Aqf.5655$xF6.1761@fed1read01...
    >I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
    >scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
    >reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only read
    >mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted privacy
    >policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so it's more of
    >an intellectual curiousity.
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    >
    > 1.
    > Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
    > free web e-mail?
    >
    > 2.
    > If so, what differences exist?
    >
    > -trev


    Free and safe OR free and effective are both oxymoron's.
    vernon, Dec 30, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=

    Safest Way to Share Files?

    =?Utf-8?B?THVpcw==?=, Nov 19, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    879
  2. Max Quordlepleen

    Re: The worlds safest downloader?

    Max Quordlepleen, Aug 4, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,445
    miss calm
    Aug 5, 2003
  3. °Mike°

    Re: The worlds safest downloader?

    °Mike°, Aug 4, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    533
    °Mike°
    Aug 4, 2003
  4. Barry Plant Doherty

    The safest airline in the world

    Barry Plant Doherty, Jul 27, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    7,440
    Blinky the Shark
    Jul 29, 2004
  5. Freddo
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    451
    Freddo
    Nov 1, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page