    which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?

    Thanks

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    First Last Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
    > which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > dj tuchler

    GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.

    --
    Comedy, philosophy, my wish list, and alternative applications:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~e-group/homepage.html

    First Last, Sep 17, 2004

  3. Dennis J. Tuchler

    .brian. Guest

    (On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
    >> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
    >>

    > GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.

    There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
    version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did
    not help answer their question.

    Also, you do realize their is a GTK version for Windows right?

    --
    Brian

    version 0.8 (20040916)
    2.6.8-gentoo-r3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ GNU/Linux
    Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org

    .brian., Sep 18, 2004
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    First Last Guest

    ..brian. wrote:
    > (On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
    >>> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
    >>>

    >> GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.
    >>

    > There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
    > version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did
    > not help answer their question.
    >
    > Also, you do realize their is a GTK version for Windows right?

    no, thanks.

    First Last, Sep 18, 2004
  5. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:31:21 -0400, .brian. wrote:

    > (On 09/17/04 18:16) First Last wrote:
    >> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >>> I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
    >>> which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?
    >>>

    >> GTK is for Linux. GTK2 + XFT is the Linux installer.
    >>

    > There are two *different* versions of GTK. The OP wants to know which
    > version of Firefox they need to download. So your response really did not
    > help answer their question.

    Right. I use Linux (SuSE 9.0 on one machine and SuSe 9.1 on another) and
    I suppose it would be a bad idea to install the GTK2 version if I only
    have GTK operating in my system. Is there a way to find out which I have?

    Thanks

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > I would like to download and install the current Firefox but don't know
    > which one to get. How do I know whether I have GTK or GTK2 + XFT?

    GTK2 is newer than GTK. GTK2 has better internationalization and more
    modern widgets. GTK is older and looks like Motif (the scroll bars look
    like they're carved in stone). Xft is available for GTK2 and allows for
    true-type fonts (smooth, like on Mac and 'doze).

    Try typing the following in a console (like xterm):
    rpm -qa | grep -i gtk

    If you see something beginning with gtk2, then you have it.

    Keith Bowes, Oct 4, 2004