    I have researched most of them and, of course, their advertising claims
    promises fantastic results. I need one in the 200 to 300-gig range. What
    would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
    John R. Pickett, May 16, 2005

  2. John R. Pickett

    Wizard Guest

    Maxtor is the ONLY option as far as I am concern.

    Wizard, May 16, 2005

  3. "Wizard" <> wrote in message
    > Maxtor is the ONLY option as far as I am concern.

    I quite fancy a 250GB Iomega Firewire 800/1394b drive myself! Can't afford
    one though :-(

    Brian Wescombe, May 16, 2005
  4. John R. Pickett

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "John R. Pickett" <> wrote in message
    >I am searching for a reliable external hard drive for my Dell PC, OS 98se.
    > I did not know that so many brands existed. I am considering:
    > 1. Toshiba
    > 2. Iomega
    > 3. LaCie
    > 4. Seagate
    > 5. Western Digital
    > 6. Maxtor
    > 7. Iogear
    > 8. Fantom
    > I have researched most of them and, of course, their advertising claims
    > promises fantastic results. I need one in the 200 to 300-gig range. What
    > would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

    I like(or have had good experience with)the Seagate and Western Digital.

    Mark Mandell, May 17, 2005
  5. John R. Pickett

    Dan Jensen Guest

    When deciding, I asked a guy that worked at a Circuit City which ones they
    see come back. He indicated that they have unreal amount of Iomega that get
    brought back due to problems. He said that they did not see many of the
    Western Digital or Maxtor come back with problems. I then asked a number of
    people and decided to go with USB 2.0 Western Digital. I liked my first so
    much that I now have 4 (3 80 GB and 250 GB ). My oldest is 2 years and
    newest is couple of months. All have worked with no problems.

    Dan Jensen, May 20, 2005
  6. John R. Pickett

    Ron Smith Guest

    Go with Western Digital in a SATA drive fire wire sux compaired to that and
    its just 2 dang expsensive

    Ron Smith, May 20, 2005
  7. John R. Pickett

    Berty Guest

    Just be careful with WD SATA as I bought one and than learn that it was
    not "true SATA" but rather an IDE with adapter to it can be
    connected to the SATA bus but the HD itself is not.

    Despite the above I have two 160G one IDE and one "SATA" and both
    work just fine.

    Have fun.
    Berty, May 20, 2005