    2) prepare and pass the 5 exams of MCPD from scratch, the 2 exams I have
    passed are useless for MCPD.

    Which choice is better? or there are any better solutions?
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Carol:
    While it is true that "1.1 is kind of old now," most employers know nothing
    about the MCPD - after all, there's less than 1,500 of us. I would recommend
    taking the 70-320 exam to get your MCAD, then decide at that point what exams
    to take.
    Remember that eventually your MCPD will expire, but an MCAD or MCSD won't
    expire.
    Perhaps by then the MCPD will be better known.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Mar 21, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=

    Cerebrus Guest

    On Mar 22, 1:48 am, LarryWestMCSD <LarryWest-at-hotmail-dot-com>
    wrote:

    > Remember that eventually your MCPD will expire, but an MCAD or MCSD won't
    > expire.

    Larry,

    Kindly elaborate on that. Why would the MCPD expire ??

    ----------
    Cerebrus.
    MCNGP #LIV (LIVewire ! Please hug !)

    Join the blitzkrieg against Br@indumps
    http://www.certguard.com/forums/
    Cerebrus, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Yes, please.

    I would be fascinated to read about the case in which the older MCAD & MCSD
    certifications (many of which were awarded based on VB6 exams and are may be
    approaching 10 years old) will remain in good standing, yet the shiny new
    MCTS & MCPD tracks (which are .Net 2.0 & [shortly] 3.0 & 3.5) would expire.

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, Microsoft C# MVP
    http://www.coversant.com/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Mar 27, 2007
  5. Perhaps Microsoft tried lifetime certification with MCSD and MCAD to compete
    with CompTIA and others that offered it.
    Perhaps they have realized the error of their ways.

    Frankly, I like the idea that Certified Public Accountants use -- require
    continuing education. You don't have to retake the CPA exams every few years.
    In order to keep your MCSD, for example, you should show that you have
    attended 50 webcasts, taken 12 semester hours of college courses, gone to 30
    hours of seminars, or something similar each year.

    Eventually, however, the older certifications will fade away.
    How often do you hear about MCP+I or MCP+SB anymore?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Mar 27, 2007
  6. "Carol" wrote:

    > I have to say I am quite slow at preparing for certification. I passed only 2
    > exams last year, 70-229(sql 2000) and 70-316(C# windows application). It
    > seems .net1.1 is kind of old now, and I think I should work on MCPD instead
    > of MCSD.
    > It seems I have only 2 choices to get MCPD:
    > 1) pass the other 3 exams to get MCSD, then pass the 2 upgrade exams to get
    > MCPD.
    > 2) prepare and pass the 5 exams of MCPD from scratch, the 2 exams I have
    > passed are useless for MCPD.
    >
    > Which choice is better? or there are any better solutions?

    hi Carol
    i was very happ to read your post
    As i am facing the same problem like you
    i ve bought all the Microsoft press books
    in order to become a MCSD like you i am a little
    bit slow in training
    Presentl i ve got
    70_229
    70_305
    70_306
    i am preparing exam 70_310(to become MCAD) and i am not too motivated
    as i will need to go through Exam 70_300 after
    and then proceed with update to VB 2005
    its too much to do as Firm are eager to hired
    people with some knowledge of VS 2005
    Finall i decided to be busy
    i stud both web services with VB 2003 and Winforms 2005
    i am using ebook of mspress about new certificates(i mean
    exam 70_528 and exam 70_526)
    i am coding and deploing VB 1.1 on VS 2005(in order to discover new
    features of the IDE)
    its a lot of work i dont have choice
    as i can not lost all the investment i have made on
    books ,training file,software related to VB 2003
    Its hard to make up once mind
    but anyway my dear Carol just sign in for sleepless nights
    i dont know if a such advise s helpul

    Armand()
    =?Utf-8?B?TGFiYXM=?=, Mar 28, 2007
  7. See http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/faq/default.mspx

    It's a pretty good FAQ, although the pictures are misleading since it
    implies that to get an MCA you have to have all the certifications below it.
    [But who reads things for the pictures, anyway.]

    We might want to bookmark it and present it on about 50% of the questions
    asked here. (Perhaps that's why its called "Frequently Asked Questions.")

    Anyway, one of the questions in the FAQ is:

    Q. Will the new certifications expire?
    A. The Technology Series certifications will expire soon after mainstream
    support for the version of the product ends. The Professional Series
    certifications will require recertification every three years from the date
    of issue. Get more information about the Microsoft Product Support lifecycle.

    I take it to mean that if you don't "recertify" that your certification will
    expire.
    I assume "date of issue" means the date that they notified you that you were
    added to the database, which for me and my MCPD was Jan. 11th of this year,
    so my MCPD will expire Jan. 11, 2010. I passed the last exam on Dec. 29,
    2006, which means I earned the certification on that date. [Note the FAQ does
    not state "date earned."] I assume my delay was due to my passing the 548
    exam in Beta, and I didn't follow the traditional route of getting an MCTS
    first. The notified me of my MCTS on Jan. 5th, but that life of that depends
    on the life of Visual Studio 2005 and the definition of "soon after," not on
    the date the certification was issued.

    Hopefully Microsoft will get a little more specific on recertification soon
    since the current rules state that you cannot retake an exam you have already
    passed, but then I've got an out because I passed 71-548, not 70-548, right?
    :).

    Perhaps if Microsoft would put the FAQs in a more prominent spot, these
    newsgroups would have a lot less traffic, but then those who try to stroke
    their egos by insulting and accusing people will have to find another place
    to go to. :)

    =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnlXZXN0TUNTRA==?=, Mar 28, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=

    Carol Guest

    Thank you so much for your detailed explanation, Larry.

    As there're no "short cuts" to get the MCPD, I think I should get MCAD
    first, then MCSD, and upgrade to 2005 later.

    Carol, Mar 28, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2w=?=

    Carol Guest

    Nice to see your reply, Labas. Now I know I'm not the only one who is
    facing this issue :)
    I started to work on 70-320 now, hopefully I could finish it and pass
    the exam next month...

    Good luck in your study!

    Carol, Mar 28, 2007
  10. Expiring MCPD [was: Re: which exams should I take after I got 70-229 and 70-316]

    "Chris Mullins [MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > I would be fascinated to read about the case in which the older MCAD &
    > MCSD certifications (many of which were awarded based on VB6 exams and are
    > may be approaching 10 years old) will remain in good standing, yet the
    > shiny new MCTS & MCPD tracks (which are .Net 2.0 & [shortly] 3.0 & 3.5)
    > would expire.

    Upon further investigation, it turns out the original poster was right, and
    the MCPD certs do expire 3 years from their issue date.

    From the FAQ at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/faq/default.mspx

    > The Technology Series certifications will expire soon after mainstream
    > support for the version of the product ends. The Professional Series
    > certifications will require recertification every three years from the
    > date of issue.

    So there ya have it. I've got 2 years left on my MCPD before I need to
    recertify. I've no idea what to do for recertification, what tests are
    required, or how else to go about it. Hopefully it won't be too bad. It is
    (honestly) kind of a bummer though...

    Chris Mullins [MVP], Mar 30, 2007