    Anyway advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Mike Dymon

    Mike Dymon, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Mike Dymon

    Eric Guest

    Mike Dymon wrote:

    > I am also confused about which language to go for Visual Basic .NET or
    > C# .NET ?

    It depends on your background. Descibe your background programming
    experience.

    Eric

    Eric, Aug 20, 2004

  3. > I am also confused about which language to go for Visual Basic .NET or
    > C# .NET ?

    That is the question the answer to which will determine which tests you
    should take. If you are wanting to specialize in VB.NET then you will
    want to take the 70-305 and 70-306 combination. If you want to
    specialize in C# then you will want to take the 70-315 and 70-316
    combination.

    Now, I don't want to start a religion war here, but C# is the language
    that was written expressly for the .NET framework. It is the language
    of the future and the language that I believe will be the most valuable.
    Hiring manager dorks look for C# experience more than they do VB.NET
    experience. And I'll bet you can't find one that will tell you a good
    reason why.

    That said, One of the benefits of .NET is that it pretty much
    neutralizes the language war. You should use what you are most
    comfortable with. If you are an old VB programer, then you will feel
    most comfortable with VB. If you are just starting out, then you will
    want to learn C#. The differences are mostly syntatic. Once you learn
    one, you will know most of the other. You will just have to learn the
    different syntax thingies of each language. The APIs are 95% identical
    (or maybe even 99.9%).

    > What I had in mind was: 70-315 * 70-316 * 70-320 but is that
    > combination any good? If yes which books do you should recommend i
    > should get?

    That is a good combination for the C# track. As I am pretty much a
    newbie to the certification thing, I cannot give you a good suggestion
    for books at this time. Maybe in a couple months...

    --
    Phillip H. Blanton

    Phillip H. Blanton, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Hi Phillip,

    "...the most valuable..."

    Language value depends a lot on the situation.

    Visual Studio Tools for Office uses VB.NET code, so anyone who wants to or
    will work with Office apps will benefit from knowing VB.NET.

    www.cindywinegarden.com

    Cindy Winegarden, Aug 24, 2004