Which exam to take first.

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Gary, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    From the people who have taken the exams for the MCSD
    before, which exam would you start with if you had it to
    do over again?

    Gary, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Gary

    Curly Guest

    I haven't taken all the tests yet (passed 3 so far) - but
    what I did was start with what I was most familiar with,
    which in my case was SQL Server. What I would recommend
    to anyone is start with what you have the most familarity
    with.

    If you have a web-oriented background, do the web tests
    first, even if your expertise in areas other than .NET.
    If you're background in windows forms and/or client-
    server, do 70-305/306 first.

    One other thing - I did 70-300 before any of the other
    core tests but I'm not sure that was the best way. But
    if your background really does emphasize design and
    architecture, then go for it.

    The point is that it's all interrelated and what you
    learn for each test carries over to the next one. Build
    on your strengths.

    HTH

    Curly, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Gary

    Ian Ringrose Guest

    The best thing, is to think what you CV will look like at each stage.

    If you have got a little experance with something, do it's exam first.
    If you have being doing something for years, there is no point doing the
    exam, everyone can see from your CV that you know about it.
    If you have got no experance in something, the exam may not be enough to get
    you a job.

    If you are planning to do ASP.NET and SOAP, then do ASP.NET first as it will
    help with SOAP.

    70-300 ( emphasize design and architecture) is easy, but point less to have
    on you CV, so only do it when you have done all the rest - to get MCSD on
    your CV.

    Ian Ringrose, Nov 8, 2003