    track to complete my MCSE in windows 2003 given what I
    allready have?

    Regards

    Neil Proctor, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Neil Proctor

    S. O'Brien Guest

    IMHO, I think you need to sit back and really think about what you want to
    do. I am not saying that to be mean. However, you keep failing 217...
    Active Directory... an integral component for Windows 2k + 2k3. Upgrading
    to 2k3 at this point may not benefit you. I would advise that you inhale a
    few AD books... pass 217 and stay on the 2k track until finished. Once
    done, you can think about upgrading to 2k3 at that time.

    The reason I am saying wait for completion of 2k is due to the fact that the
    2k3 exams cover, extensively, the CHANGES of 2k3 (ie the differences between
    2k and 2k3) and that may confuse you if you are just starting out. I would
    say, stick with what you know... then look at upgrading. Besides... for
    only 2 upgrade exams you get 4 certs (MCSE 2K, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K3, MCSA
    2K3)...

    --
    Sue MCNGP #69
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
    enough people to make it worth the effort."
    Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

    S. O'Brien, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Neil Proctor

    Maestro Guest

    It seems to me that you should be focusing you energies on
    passing 70-217. You can worry about what to do after that
    once you crossed your more immediate hurdle.

    Maestro, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Neil Proctor

    Marko Guest

    I agree with Maestro that you should focus on the problem
    at hand rather than to allow other distractions to rob
    your attention from the immediate goal.

    My advice to you would be to assume nothing about 217 at
    this point. Start fresh by looking at the exam objectives
    and highlighting study that reflects extra time with your
    weaknesses. Pick your reading material (which you would
    read from start to finish, skimming only the blatantly
    obvious knowledge you are 100% confident on) and then
    determine the time you will set aside each day to meet
    your learning objectives.

    In other words: Plan. You have likely heard before that
    those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

    Now, put the following aside until you pass 217, then
    reflect on these thoughts:

    218 is your next step to MCSA and - YES - I think you are
    on the right track to think that the 292 exam would be a
    good logical choice after this for MCSA 2003.

    However, given that you can very easily build on the
    knowledge obtained from 210, 215, 216, 217 and 218 to
    quickly knock down some design exams, you can get from
    MCSA 2000 to get MCSE 2000 in a relatively short amount of
    time.

    SO - I would suggest you work towards some design exams
    (like 219,220 or 221; you only need 2) for your MCSE.
    Then do 292. Then 296 for MCSE 2003.

    And Good Luck!

    Marko, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Neil Proctor

    Guest Guest

    thanks for your help

    Guest, Oct 13, 2003
  6. I am going to give you very different advise than the
    previos posters.

    I find it very hard to believe that you passed 216 and
    have failed 217 three times. 217 was my first exam and I
    passed it fine. I am only not getting around to 216.

    OK enough of me and on to your situation. Take 218 and
    get the MCSA. 218 is essentially a very broad hybrid of
    215 and 217 with some 216 for flavor. Once you cover all
    of the AD stuff in 218, it will be a good base for 217.
    I highly recommend the Sybex Mark Minasi series book
    entitled Group Policy, Profiles and Intellimirror which
    should have most of what you are missing. Once you have
    the 217 up to the eyeballs and pass, go directly to 219,
    do not pass go, etc...

    Good Luck.

    RM

    Robert McDonnell, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Neil Proctor

    Guest Guest

    like my previous post, you may have to learn Indian.

    Guest, Oct 13, 2003