Which equipment?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andrew Hodgson, May 27, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am upgrading our provider and changing several components of our
    home network. I am currently using a Linux box as a firewall and am
    changing to an ISP who are giving me a block of routible IP addresses
    with a couple of WAN side addresses also. This is only for a home
    network, but I want to get a bit more in-tune to what I am doing with
    firewall hardware, and as we use Cisco kit at work, I wanted to see
    which model would be the most appropriate model to get for such a home
    network?

    I have searched on Ebay and there are a lot to choose from, however,
    the prices also reflect quality. The Cisco site has given me some
    pointers, but a lot of the models are upgradable with different
    add-ons which makes it a bit confusing.

    I just want a basic firewall that will allow me to firewall the
    addresses on the LAN side of the routible IP block.

    My ISP can offer me a new Firebrick firewall for £400, or I can stick
    with the current hardware, which is working fine! I just wanted the
    challenge!

    If there is a more appropriate group then please direct me.

    Thanks,
    Andrew.
    My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

    Andrew Hodgson, May 27, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Have a look at the Cisco 800 series! In particular the 831 (or the newer 851
    or 871) routers. They have a lot of neat features (firewall, VPN, even
    wireless on the newer models) and support your setup. You should be able to
    get (a new) one for less than £400! My company buys them for ~ ?350 which is
    approx £250.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, May 28, 2005

  3. Andrew Hodgson

    jas0n Guest

    In article <d79a1d$tv3$1.ov.home.nl>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Have a look at the Cisco 800 series! In particular the 831 (or the newer 851
    > or 871) routers. They have a lot of neat features (firewall, VPN, even
    > wireless on the newer models) and support your setup. You should be able to
    > get (a new) one for less than £400! My company buys them for ~ ?350 which is
    > approx £250.
    >
    > Erik

    I am also looking for a router for this purpose and as we use
    them at work too ...

    I am down to either the 831 or the 851 model ... I dont seem
    able to find an online supplier of the 851 model in the UK at
    the moment - are they a very recent release/not in full supply
    yet?

    Other than price, is there any reason to opt for the 831
    instead of the 851 assuming I can find a supplier of both?

    jas0n, May 31, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Yes, the 850's and 870's are very very new. They appeared on the cisco site
    only a few weeks ago.
    The 850's are a complete new model/design, options for wireless and stuff.
    They support the latest in encryption protocols in hardware and are a more
    feature-complete than the 830's.
    I'd definitely go for the 850's if have to make a choice between 830 and 850
    and if you can get a hold on one (assuming the price is affordable). I've
    heard from other newsgroup postings that fabrication has started, don't know
    about shipping to resellers. Should happen soon now.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Andrew Hodgson

    jas0n Guest

    In article <d7l9gm$sdp$1.ov.home.nl>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes, the 850's and 870's are very very new. They appeared on the cisco site
    > only a few weeks ago.
    > The 850's are a complete new model/design, options for wireless and stuff.
    > They support the latest in encryption protocols in hardware and are a more
    > feature-complete than the 830's.
    > I'd definitely go for the 850's if have to make a choice between 830 and 850
    > and if you can get a hold on one (assuming the price is affordable). I've
    > heard from other newsgroup postings that fabrication has started, don't know
    > about shipping to resellers. Should happen soon now.
    >
    > Erik

    Ive ordered an 851, without wireless as I already have a
    wireless access point.

    They gave me a 2 week lead time before they'll get it at which
    point it will come out to me next day.

    jas0n, Jun 1, 2005