    which encryption algorithm I want to use. I don't really know what
    would be best, so I figured I should ask people who know. Thanks for
    your help...

    rinmanb70, Jun 22, 2006

  2. rinmanb70

    cypher Guest

    cypher, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Re: Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecrypt volume?

    "rinmanb70" <> wrote:

    > Our family computer is a laptop, and since it would be very easy and
    > desireable to steal if someone broke into our house, I figured I
    > should get some encryption to protect our data. So I downloaded and
    > installed Truecrypt. But during the setup of my first volume, it's
    > asking about which encryption algorithm I want to use. I don't
    > really know what would be best, so I figured I should ask people who
    > know. Thanks for your help...

    They're all good, plenty good enough to thwart your common street thug.
    The main difference is going to be in speed, which unless you're doing
    some drive intense operations like real time video editing you're not
    going to notice anyway.

    George Orwell, Jun 23, 2006
  4. rinmanb70

    rinmanb70 Guest

    George Orwell wrote:
    > They're all good, plenty good enough to thwart your common street thug.
    > The main difference is going to be in speed, which unless you're doing
    > some drive intense operations like real time video editing you're not
    > going to notice anyway.

    Speed is important. Which one(s) are fastest?

    rinmanb70, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Re: Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecryptvolume?

    rinmanb70 wrote:
    > George Orwell wrote:
    >> They're all good, plenty good enough to thwart your common street thug.
    >> The main difference is going to be in speed, which unless you're doing
    >> some drive intense operations like real time video editing you're not
    >> going to notice anyway.

    > Speed is important. Which one(s) are fastest?

    Security is important as well. Which one(s) have been proven resistent
    towards Saturation Attack?

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jun 23, 2006
  6. rinmanb70

    rinmanb70 Guest

    Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Security is important as well. Which one(s) have been proven resistent
    > towards Saturation Attack?

    I've been told that any of the Truecrypt encryption methods should
    provide adequate security for my needs. I'm now asking about speed.

    If you have a question of your own, post your own thread Sebastian.

    rinmanb70, Jun 23, 2006
  7. Re: Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecryptvolume?

    rinmanb70 wrote:
    > Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >> Security is important as well. Which one(s) have been proven resistent
    >> towards Saturation Attack?

    > I've been told that any of the Truecrypt encryption methods should
    > provide adequate security for my needs.

    True. However, some algorithms are well more analyzed and proven. That's
    why Rijndael became AES even thought it's not the fastest.

    > If you have a question of your own, post your own thread Sebastian.

    It's a rhetoric question with the obvious answer: Blowfish has no prove
    for resistence against saturation attack whereas all AES candidates have
    one, especially the one for Rijndael is exceptionally elegant.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jun 23, 2006
  8. Re: Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecrypt volume?

    "rinmanb70" <> wrote:

    > George Orwell wrote:
    > > They're all good, plenty good enough to thwart your common street
    > > thug. The main difference is going to be in speed, which unless
    > > you're doing some drive intense operations like real time video
    > > editing you're not going to notice anyway.

    > Speed is important. Which one(s) are fastest?

    First of all, if speed is your thing than you need to seriously
    consider the container type. File containers will typically be slower
    than entire encrypted partitions. A *lot* slower in some cases. This
    decision alone will have a much bigger impact on throughput than
    algorithm choice.

    That said, speed comparisons are going to be system dependant and
    arbitrary. Any flat comparison might be misleading. And I think the
    differences are going to be so minute in the real world that they're
    insignificant. I'll offer a specific opinion later on, but first some
    examples of why they're arbitrary.

    Key size shouldn't directly directly impact speed, but it may change
    the algorithm's "rank" among its constituents from a 32 bit to a 64 bit
    environment.

    Your specific usage can also affect speed. Encryption almost always
    takes more clock cycles than decryption. For some algorithms the
    difference is more pronounced. If your activity is more "write
    oriented" you might want to consider an algorithm with a
    better encrypt/decrypt "ratio".

    There's a lot of other little gotchas that might make one algorithm
    perform better than another on your system, and with your usage. But if
    you really *must* know which algorithms are considered "faster"...

    Rijndael (AES) and Twofish are two of the best performers on a
    "standardized" Pentium Pro, in a standardized implementation. Twofish
    is slightly faster at encryption, but Rijndael takes the checkered in
    key setup. I think overall, Rijndael would be the "winner" in a
    standard usage scenario. CAST is not so far behind these two. I'd say
    you'd be good with any of the three. On the other end, 3DES is probably
    going to be one of the slowest.

    FWIW, if you get down to the nitpicking "what if" of the thing, Twofish
    is thought to be slightly more secure than Rijndael too. <grin>

    Non scrivetemi, Jun 23, 2006
  9. Re: Which encryption algorithm should I use setting up Truecryptvolume?

    Non scrivetemi wrote:

    > Rijndael (AES) and Twofish are two of the best performers on a
    > "standardized" Pentium Pro, in a standardized implementation. Twofish
    > is slightly faster at encryption, but Rijndael takes the checkered in
    > key setup. I think overall, Rijndael would be the "winner" in a
    > standard usage scenario. CAST is not so far behind these two. I'd say
    > you'd be good with any of the three. On the other end, 3DES is probably
    > going to be one of the slowest.

    Blowfish is usually noticeably faster than AES. However, it also has a
    low security margin.

    > FWIW, if you get down to the nitpicking "what if" of the thing, Twofish
    > is thought to be slightly more secure than Rijndael too. <grin>

    Sure? AFAICS some Chinese researchers have shown significant
    improvements on cryptoanalysis of slightly simplified and/or modified
    TwoFish.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jun 23, 2006
  10. rinmanb70

    rinmanb70 Guest

    Thanks for your help everybody.
    I used the default, AES, and I'll see how it goes. If it seems too
    slow then I'll try another alogorithm or consider using an encrypted
    partition instead of an encrypted file.

    rinmanb70, Jun 24, 2006
  11. rinmanb70

    TwistyCreek Guest

    rinmanb70 wrote:

    > Thanks for your help everybody.

    Not a problem. :)

    > I used the default, AES, and I'll see how it goes. If it seems too
    > slow then I'll try another alogorithm or consider using an encrypted
    > partition instead of an encrypted file.

    If you have performance issues, definitely go with the encrypted
    partition option no matter what. A change in algorithm (twofish or CAST
    would be the only two others I'd try) won't have anywhere near the
    impact the difference between file- and partition-based volumes will.

    TwistyCreek, Jun 24, 2006
  12. rinmanb70

    crgs

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    AES is one of the fastest, and is quite secure against nearly everyone, except the NSA. Serpent is probably the most secure individual encryption scheme (and slowest-albeit still pretty fast) Mixtures of encryption are even more secure, but probably overkill at this point.

    crgs, Aug 14, 2010