Which DVD Software?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Dec 3, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Can anyone recommend any alternatives to Nero?

    At the moment I have the Nero 6 reloaded suite, which includes Nero
    Burning Rom, Nero Vision Express etc.

    Unfortunately I've had a couple of problems with Nero 6, one of my
    files that I saved for a project wont open any more so I've lost a
    load of saved work and not best impressed with Nero. Tried
    uninstalling and reinstalling numerous to the latest version of Nero 6
    but file still wont open.

    I heard a lot of bad things about Nero 7 being buggy so never upgraded
    to that one. Was considering going with Nero 8 the newest version just
    out now, but if I did that there is no guarantee this project I saved
    in Nero 6 is going to work in Nero 8 after I've splashed out a load of
    money on it.

    Speaking of which, when I have been to the Nero site in the last month
    or so and chosen the upgrade option I have a huge complaint against
    Nero for discriminating and ripping off British consumers.

    {When I go to the Nero site and check the link to upgrade to Nero 8
    and I enter my serial number it says that I am a loyal customer and
    get it for a discount at €47.99 instead of €59.99.

    When I then click on the add to cart button it takes me to a new
    webpage. On this page it has converted all the Euro currency to
    British Pounds, but it has either done so at an incorrect rate of
    exchange, or it has based it on the full price, not the discounted
    price for being a loyal customer.

    The reason it has to have done this is because the price it gives me
    in Pounds just for Nero 8 is £39.99.

    On 24/11/2007 when I checked Nero site for this upgrade the rate of
    exchange was 1.3887711157 € to £1 therefore the €47.99 should only be
    working out at approximately £34.56 not £39.99.

    This is a £5.43 they are making on the currency exchange or an almost
    16% profit margin. What gives?

    If I am so loyal why is Nero trying to deceive and rip off people who
    live in the UK on the exchange rate?

    One month ago the exchange rate was 1.4297520824 € to £1 and it was an
    even greater rip off and a profit of about 20% that Nero were making
    on the currency exchange and ripping off British consumers.

    Would you not consider this as discriminatory, anti-competitive
    behaviour by Nero? I mean it's not as if it is costing anymore to
    provide a download to the UK than the rest of the EU or World is it???
    This is clearly false and misleading advertising by Nero designed to
    deceive and rip off British consumers wishing to buy and download
    optical disc burning software for their computer systems.

    Almost three years ago I purchased Nero 6 for $39.99 in US dollars,
    which would have worked out at about £21.22 in UK Pounds with the
    exchange rate at the time being 1.8844249613. It seems that since then
    they have started charging more to British consumers for something
    that is more bulky and unstable than what they were selling three and
    more years ago.}

    So, now I am considering just going with a completely different
    product altogether and trying to remember as many of the details of my
    project that I appear to have lost as possible and starting over.

    As for the alternative product I would appreciate your advice on this.
    I need something that I can use for burning CDs and DVDs and also to
    make and edit my own home movies with.

    Have looked at reviews for a few other products. Pinnacle Studio, one
    of my friends from work first suggested this, however I have seen
    quite a lot of people on the net saying to avoid it at all costs
    because it is full of bugs and crashes frequently.

    Is any Avid product worth looking at given that they kind of
    integrated with Pinnacle didn't they? They seem to offer a few
    different products.

    In the past I've tried TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD Lab. TDA didn't work
    too well for me, and DVD Lab I just couldn't get used to that.

    Would love Adobe Premium Pro, my sisters husband has that one
    fantastic software, but unfortunately I don't have the cash for that
    and couldn't justify spending that much.

    There are also Ulead (Corel) products, Sony Vegas and Roxio as well to
    consider. Then there is Nero 8. Is it worth it with all of its bulk
    plus the premium for British consumers?

    What do you recommend? Any advice appreciated.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Dec 3, 2007

  2. John

    Guest

    On Dec 3, 11:25 pm, John <> wrote:
> [...]
    > of my friends from work first suggested this, however I have seen
    > quite a lot of people on the net saying to avoid it at all costs
    > because it is full of bugs and crashes frequently.
    >
    > Is any Avid product worth looking at given that they kind of
    > integrated with Pinnacle didn't they? They seem to offer a few
    > different products.
    >
    > In the past I've tried TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVD Lab. TDA didn't work
    > too well for me, and DVD Lab I just couldn't get used to that.
    >
    > Would love Adobe Premium Pro, my sisters husband has that one
    > fantastic software, but unfortunately I don't have the cash for that
    > and couldn't justify spending that much.
    >
    > There are also Ulead (Corel) products, Sony Vegas and Roxio as well to
    > consider. Then there is Nero 8. Is it worth it with all of its bulk
    > plus the premium for British consumers?
    >
    > What do you recommend? Any advice appreciated.

    I reduced the crossposting. google has a limit of 5 anyway

    I left Nero
    to burn CDs and DVDs,
    I use CD Burner XP
    I heard good things about a program called imgburn

    look to other software for mouting an iso (like a virtual cd drive),
    or editting an ISO.

    for mounting an iso, apparently Daemon Tools does it. as freeware.
    (there is a payware called virtual drive). And for editting an ISO and
    extracting an iso from a cd, there is a payware called MagicISO.
    (I don`t know what freeware is good. . Last time i tried WinISO it
    corrupted bootable isos making them non bootable).

    , Dec 6, 2007