which DVD players support DL media?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by def456, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. def456

    def456 Guest

    I'm in process of backing up my extensive DVD movie collection. I have an
    internal LG GSA-4167B DVD-RW drive in my computer, which has worked fine to
    burn movies using Taiyo Yuden 4.7G media, which also play OK on my TV via my
    standalone Emerson EWD7003 DVD player.

    So I decided to give the Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL 8.5G media a try, and the
    result has been mostly coasters. They play generally OK on my computer's LG
    drive, but won't play on my standalone Emerson. That Emerson model was
    manufactured in August 2003, and it has always worked very well to play
    commercial DVDs. All commercial DVD movies I've tried have played OK on it,
    skips are very rare, and I've never had a freezeup. I guess it just doesn't
    like the Verbatim disc brand(?), or something, I don't know. To be more
    specific, it won't recognize more than one title on the DVD. It plays the
    first title, then freezes. It won't make the transition to the next title.
    Thus typically it freezes on the opening menu. I have been able to burn a
    movie that works by reauthoring with DVD Shrink to remove everything except
    the movie itself, but I'm not happy with that limitation. I'd like to be
    able to duplicate the original exactly, including fully functional menus and
    extras.

    So I would like to use DL media, and need to find a cure for this problem.
    One solution would be to get a different standalone DVD player, to replace
    my 3+ year old Emerson model. Can you recommend DVD players in the
    under-$100 (US) price range that will work better in that regard? In looking
    at the many DVD players offered by Walmart, I see that most don't mention
    anything about compatibility with DL media. Of course they all say they're
    compatible with DVD video, DVD+R, DVD-R, which doesn't help me decide
    anything.

    Another solution might be to find a more compatible media, rather than the
    Verbatim brand. I wonder what kind of media the movie studios use to burn
    their movies on DVDs, whether it is available, and where to buy it?
    Thanx.
    def456, Feb 19, 2007

  2. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:35:34 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >I'm in process

    ALL DVD players play dual layer media as nearly ALL DVDs are DL.

    DOH!

    However, all DVD players may not be happy with all recordable
    formats.
    MassiveProng, Feb 20, 2007

  3. def456

    def456 Guest

    > ALL DVD players play dual layer media as nearly ALL DVDs are DL.
    >
    > DOH!
    >
    > However, all DVD players may not be happy with all recordable
    > formats.

    Would you care to elaborate?
    def456, Feb 22, 2007
  4. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:49:49 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >> ALL DVD players play dual layer media as nearly ALL DVDs are DL.
    >>
    >> DOH!
    >>
    >> However, all DVD players may not be happy with all recordable
    >> formats.

    >Would you care to elaborate?

    Commercial DVDs (those made by the film studios) are NOT burned.
    They are stamped out in a factory. There is NO laser involved once
    the master mold is burned, and that is a glass plate.

    A DVD player was initially intended to play these discs, and many
    also played audio CDs.

    When they started to include things like MP3 playback capability
    (only comes from burned media), and the capacity to play back content
    on customer recorded media, not every maker jumped on board, and not
    all that did applied it to every model, nor did they include every
    type of burned media available at that time. Also, said burned media
    has morphed several times since then, and many DVD players are
    designed months ahead of their actual manufacture and release into the
    market.
    MassiveProng, Feb 22, 2007
  5. def456

    def456 Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 06:49:49 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:
    >
    >>> ALL DVD players play dual layer media as nearly ALL DVDs are DL.
    >>>
    >>> DOH!
    >>>
    >>> However, all DVD players may not be happy with all recordable
    >>> formats.

    >>Would you care to elaborate?
    >>

    > Commercial DVDs (those made by the film studios) are NOT burned.
    > They are stamped out in a factory. There is NO laser involved once
    > the master mold is burned, and that is a glass plate.
    >
    > A DVD player was initially intended to play these discs, and many
    > also played audio CDs.
    >
    > When they started to include things like MP3 playback capability
    > (only comes from burned media), and the capacity to play back content
    > on customer recorded media, not every maker jumped on board, and not
    > all that did applied it to every model, nor did they include every
    > type of burned media available at that time. Also, said burned media
    > has morphed several times since then, and many DVD players are
    > designed months ahead of their actual manufacture and release into the
    > market.

    Thanks for that very interesting historical info! I was wondering how
    commercial DL DVDs managed to be compatible with virtually all DVD players.
    Now that mystery is clarified. I'm curious whether the "universal" film
    studio format is entirely public knowledge or do they keep some aspect(s) of
    it secret?

    If I understand correctly then, from a personal point of view, re backing up
    movies (only)... it becomes a matter of finding a DVD reader, DVD burner,
    DVD media (including DL and single layer discs), and DVD player which are
    most nearly compatible with each other. At least that's my objective.

    I'm still a relative newbie with DVD video, and my interest started less
    than 30 days ago. Before that, DVDs were just a way to backup my important
    computer data so I could recover after a crash. All of my prior video
    experience was with VHS and S-VHS. I decided that DVDs were the wave of the
    future, so here I am. :)

    In just the last few days, I've realized that the main part of my problem
    was my 3-4 year old Emerson DVD player (EWD7003), which won't play the
    Verbatim DL discs. If I understand correctly, those are the best DL discs
    available at reasonable cost ($2 or less), so I'm redesigning my system
    around them. After a fair amount of reading and research, I've just ordered
    a new standalone Sony DVD player (DVP-NS57P) in hopes it will be more
    compatible. I'm still happy with my computer's LG DVD burner (GSA-4167B)
    which is only about a year old. So far the Taiyo Yuden single sided discs
    seem compatible with everything, so it's mostly a problem with DL disc
    compatibility. Any suggestions appreciated in those regards...
    def456, Feb 22, 2007
  6. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:41:36 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >I'm still a relative newbie with DVD video, and my interest started less
    >than 30 days ago.

    Best advice is that you do not need to invest your time or money in
    "back ups" of you collection. It is a waste of time and money.

    You discs will remain in pristine condition if you merely maintain
    them that way.

    This means NO cleaning devices.

    The best way to keep mint condition DVDs in your collection is to
    follow a simple rule.

    NEVER touch the optical read side of the disc... EVER!

    That means there are only two places the disc belongs. In the DVD
    caddy it was sold in, or in the player's tray.

    Transferred between the two only by hand, and by only the disc
    edges. Never to be placed on a surface, and if done this way, that
    read surface NEVER needs cleaning.

    PLastic is much softer than most paper towel, etc. cleaning
    products, and even the cleaning machines collect debris which is
    typically harder than the plastic surface.

    What this means is that a disc cleaner device is really a disc
    scratcher device.

    A properly maintained disc never need to be contacted by anything
    other than light.

    There went the need for a backup. Don't give me that "I have kids"
    crap either.

    IF you have kids, YOU need to educate them, or refrain from allowing
    them to be the operator of the player.

    It is that simple.
    MassiveProng, Feb 23, 2007
  7. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:41:36 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >, so it's mostly a problem with DL disc
    >compatibility. Any suggestions appreciated in those regards...

    Stick to data backups, and BUY DVDs for you library of film media,
    and keep them in top condition. Unlike magnetic tape. DVDs do not
    degrade with use as long as said use is proper use.
    MassiveProng, Feb 23, 2007
  8. def456

    def456 Guest

    > Best advice is that you do not need to invest your time or money in
    > "back ups" of you collection. It is a waste of time and money.

    I'm dedicated to it, so can't accept your advice in that regard. Like a lot
    of other people, I want backups - for a lot of reasons. Also the backups (or
    originals) should be stored at a different address/location. For example
    natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornados can wipe out everything.
    We had a big tornado here last year around St Louis which trashed a lot of
    houses, and I was just lucky. My sister's house in Florida was totally
    trashed by one of the hurricanes a couple of years ago. And consider what
    the hurricane did to all those poor people in New Orleans who lost
    everything. I didn't mention kids, but the fact is that DVDs can get damaged
    in many ways. Sometimes DVD drawers catch the edge of the DVD when they
    close, etc. So the moral is -- backitup or loseit!
    def456, Feb 23, 2007
  9. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:28:25 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >I'm dedicated to it, so can't accept your advice in that regard.

    I think of all the things you could do with your time, and all the
    things that money could buy.

    You must be a total liar, and really be no more than a pirate
    fucktard looking for a fix to your "problem".
    MassiveProng, Feb 24, 2007
  10. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:28:25 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    > For example
    >natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornados can wipe out everything.

    That's what insurance is for, dipshit.
    MassiveProng, Feb 24, 2007
  11. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:28:25 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    > I didn't mention kids, but the fact is that DVDs can get damaged
    >in many ways.

    Nope. Only your recordable types. Pressed discs ONLY get damaged
    one way. That being mishandling.
    MassiveProng, Feb 24, 2007
  12. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:28:25 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    >Sometimes DVD drawers catch the edge of the DVD when they
    >close, etc.

    Bullshit. If you press "close" or "play" with a disc not in the
    placeholder correctly, you have your reward.

    Stop playing movies when you are drunk off your ass.
    MassiveProng, Feb 24, 2007
  13. def456

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:28:25 GMT, "def456" <> Gave us:

    > So the moral is -- backitup or loseit!

    Several hundred discs in my collection spanning several years, and not
    one that is not in mint condition.

    You probably smoke too, and pitch your refuse onto the world around
    you like an asswipe as well.

    Every idiot has an excuse.
    MassiveProng, Feb 24, 2007