    divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).

    I heard the one selling in Asda Pacific 1002w is good?

    Any feedback will be appreciated

    codeblue, Feb 20, 2004

  2. codeblue

    DVDfanatico Guest

    Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can since it
    went bankrupt. Try searching EBay or the web for a player that is region free
    because they're the best.
    (You can play DVD's from the US and elswhere).

    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Feb 20, 2004

  3. always check out epinions.com before you buy.

    codeblue <> wrote:

    >Im looking to spend upto £100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
    >Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
    >divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).
    >
    >I heard the one selling in Asda Pacific 1002w is good?
    >
    >Any feedback will be appreciated

    PL

    Paul Lefebvre
    plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
    Visit my website!
    http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

    Paul Lefebvre, Feb 20, 2004
  4. codeblue

    Binkley Guest

    DVDfanatico <> wrote:
    : Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can since it
    : went bankrupt.

    Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the reviewer in
    "Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning the Linn Unidisk
    unit in their current issue....)

    Binkley, Feb 20, 2004
  5. codeblue

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Binkley" <> wrote in message
    > DVDfanatico <> wrote:
    > : Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can

    since it
    > : went bankrupt.
    >
    > Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the reviewer in
    > "Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning the Linn Unidisk
    > unit in their current issue....)

    I hear that's an excellent player...if you have $8,000.00 laying around!

    Jay Stewart, Feb 20, 2004
  6. codeblue

    McQualude Guest

    Binkley <> said:

    >: Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can
    >: since it went bankrupt.
    >
    > Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the
    > reviewer in "Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning
    > the Linn Unidisk unit in their current issue....)

    Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
    brainer.

    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 22, 2004
  7. codeblue

    Jay Jay Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Im looking to spend upto £100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
    > Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
    > divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).
    >
    > Any feedback will be appreciated

    I have a kiss dp-450. It plays divx/xvid and I think it sells at around
    160 euro:

    http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=dp450&v=users

    PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead :)

    Jay Jay, Feb 22, 2004
  8. codeblue

    Binkley Guest

    McQualude <> wrote:
    : Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
    : brainer.

    DivX! is alive, well, and even has Microsoft worried. (Terrific
    compression rate . . .)

    Binkley, Feb 23, 2004
  9. codeblue

    McQualude Guest

    Jay Jay <> said:

    > PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead :)

    I said divx, not DivX; and no, your Kiss does not play divx, it plays
    DivX.

    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 23, 2004
  10. codeblue

    McQualude Guest

    Binkley <> said:

    >> Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX!

    > McQualude <> wrote:
    >: Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
    >: brainer.

    > DivX! is alive, well, and even has Microsoft worried. (Terrific
    > compression rate . . .)

    I said divx, not DivX. My point being that it is logical to assume that
    someone means DivX when they write divx, because divx doesn't exist
    anymore.
    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 23, 2004
  11. codeblue

    Jay Jay Guest

    In article <Xns9497EB9C39165mcqualude@24.25.9.41>,
    says...
    > > PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead :)

    > I said divx, not DivX; and no, your Kiss does not play divx, it plays
    > DivX.

    Let's take a bet to what the original poster is looking for: a player
    that reads mpeg-4 encoded files (DivX/xvid) or one that reads the
    limited-use dvd's you are refering too. I place my bets on the first.

    Anyway, here's a link about the bankrupt Divx company (with a capital)
    I'd never heard of before:

    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-227194.html

    The term DivX or divx is nowadays used for the immensely popular mpeg-4
    codec with the same name. Try downloading a movie on the internet and
    you'll notice that you need this codec. I'm amazed that DVDfanatico
    doesn't know this.

    Jay Jay, Feb 23, 2004
  12. codeblue

    McQualude Guest

    Jay Jay <> said:

    >> > PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead :)

    >> I said divx, not DivX; and no, your Kiss does not play divx, it plays
    >> DivX.

    > Let's take a bet to what the original poster is looking for: a player
    > that reads mpeg-4 encoded files (DivX/xvid) or one that reads the
    > limited-use dvd's you are refering too. I place my bets on the first.

    Hey you're starting to catch up.

    > Anyway, here's a link about the bankrupt Divx company (with a capital)
    > I'd never heard of before:
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1040-227194.html

    Next time check your facts BEFORE posting.
    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 25, 2004
  13. codeblue

    Jay Jay Guest

    In article <Xns9499EAE73F4A1mcqualude@24.25.9.41>,
    says...

    > >> I said divx, not DivX; and no, your Kiss does not play divx, it plays
    > >> DivX.

    You said divx, not Divx. The obscure dvd format Divx you are talking
    about is written with a capital. In your logic, you are adding to the
    confusion yourself by calling it divx.

    > > Let's take a bet to what the original poster is looking for: a player
    > > that reads mpeg-4 encoded files (DivX/xvid) or one that reads the
    > > limited-use dvd's you are refering too. I place my bets on the first.

    > Hey you're starting to catch up.

    Yes, but no thanks to you. And at least my post about the divx player
    helped the original poster a bit.

    > > Anyway, here's a link about the bankrupt Divx company (with a capital)
    > > I'd never heard of before:
    > > http://news.com.com/2100-1040-227194.html

    > Next time check your facts BEFORE posting.

    Why would I ever had heard of this obscure dvd company? You could've
    clarified things a lot, but you didn't. I couldn't catch what you were
    talking about. Please try to be more clear in the future.

    You and I clearly agree that everyone thinks of the mpeg-4 codec when
    you say divx. Lets keep it to that.

    Jay Jay, Feb 25, 2004
  14. codeblue

    McQualude Guest

    Jay Jay <> said:

    > You said divx, not Divx.

    Is there an echo?

    > Yes, but no thanks to you.

    Educate yourself next time before making insulting remarks.

    > Why would I ever had heard of this obscure dvd company? You could've
    > clarified things a lot, but you didn't. I couldn't catch what you
    > were talking about. Please try to be more clear in the future.

    I wasn't repying to you, I spelled divx [Divx to the recently informed]
    as I did because that is how the person I was replying to spelled it. I
    figured it would keep things simple. You jumped in calling my post
    idiotic while being ignorant that there have been two uses of the
    letters 'divx'.

    > You and I clearly agree that everyone thinks of the mpeg-4 codec when
    > you say divx. Lets keep it to that.

    Even better, confine your comments to what you know and don't be so rash
    to insult others.
    --
    McQualude

    McQualude, Feb 27, 2004