Which DVD has the most editions?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rich, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Evil Dead 1 or 2?
     
    Rich, Nov 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:59:49 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >Evil Dead 1 or 2?


    Damn.I thought it was a "which has the most" period.

    Blade Runner has a lot. I'm sure that LOTR has quite a few though.
    Probably more.

    Those you are referring to? I dunno.
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. There's a whole bunch of Independence Day versions out. Gotta be five or
    more.
     
    William Oertell, Nov 1, 2005
    #3
  4. Rich

    Jordan Guest

    Blade Runner technically only has one release. There's a collectors box
    set, but it's the exact same disc as the regular edition.

    The Evil Dead flicks are close to the top, but I'd also suggest Night
    of the Living Dead. The release rights are apparently a mess on those
    and everyone and their cousin has released a set.

    Night of the Living Dead Milennium Edition: (the one to get)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead Colorized/Black and White:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead Special Collectors Edition:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...4/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...5/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary Limited Edition:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Night of the Living Dead Survivor's Cut:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
     
    Jordan, Nov 1, 2005
    #4
  5. Rich

    Allan Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:03:49 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    <> wrote:

    >>Evil Dead 1 or 2?

    >
    > Blade Runner has a lot.


    Yeah one is a lot....






    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
     
    Allan, Nov 1, 2005
    #5
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On 31 Oct 2005 18:06:23 -0800, "Jordan" <> wrote:

    >Blade Runner technically only has one release. There's a collectors box
    >set, but it's the exact same disc as the regular edition.
    >
    >The Evil Dead flicks are close to the top, but I'd also suggest Night
    >of the Living Dead. The release rights are apparently a mess on those
    >and everyone and their cousin has released a set.
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead Milennium Edition: (the one to get)
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...2/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead Colorized/Black and White:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...3/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead Special Collectors Edition:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...4/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...5/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary Limited Edition:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...6/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846
    >
    >Night of the Living Dead Survivor's Cut:
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8/103-9875400-4977407?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846


    Does this include the crummy, hole-in-the-wall companies who released
    it too?
    -Rich
     
    Rich, Nov 1, 2005
    #6
  7. Rich

    karlpov Guest

    If you're talking about editions available in R1, it's probably
    something in the public domain like 'Charade', or the silent Lon
    Chaney 'Phantom of the Opera'. The 'Evil Dead' titles might have the
    greatest number of editions from the same publisher (Anchor Bay, I
    believe).

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:59:49 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >Evil Dead 1 or 2?
     
    karlpov, Nov 1, 2005
    #7
  8. Rich

    Biz Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Blade Runner technically only has one release. There's a collectors box
    > set, but it's the exact same disc as the regular edition.
    >
    > The Evil Dead flicks are close to the top, but I'd also suggest Night
    > of the Living Dead. The release rights are apparently a mess on those
    > and everyone and their cousin has released a set.



    I was gonna guess The Evil Dead releases as Jordan alludes to....
     
    Biz, Nov 1, 2005
    #8
  9. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:25:52 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:03:49 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>Evil Dead 1 or 2?

    >>
    >> Blade Runner has a lot.

    >
    >Yeah one is a lot....
    >

    You're an idiot.
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 1, 2005
    #9
  10. Rich

    anthony Guest

    The Wizard of Oz has now had three totally different transfers in
    Region One -- one under the MGM moniker, and two under Warner Brothers.
    Of course there's been a whole lot more different editions for
    marketing purposes, but I'm talking here about absolutely different
    transfers for DVD of the same movie, made by the same company (since
    MGM and Warner were really just different DVD house-tags for the Turner
    film property).
     
    anthony, Nov 3, 2005
    #10
  11. Rich

    Allan Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:13:32 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:25:52 -0500, Allan
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:03:49 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>Evil Dead 1 or 2?
    >>>
    >>> Blade Runner has a lot.

    >>
    >>Yeah one is a lot....
    >>

    > You're an idiot.



    Grin.... wrong once again fool.

    Crawl away.






    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
     
    Allan, Nov 3, 2005
    #11
  12. Rich

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On 2 Nov 2005 17:44:14 -0800, "anthony"
    <> wrote:

    >The Wizard of Oz has now had three totally different transfers in
    >Region One -- one under the MGM moniker, and two under Warner Brothers.
    >Of course there's been a whole lot more different editions for
    >marketing purposes, but I'm talking here about absolutely different
    >transfers for DVD of the same movie, made by the same company (since
    >MGM and Warner were really just different DVD house-tags for the Turner
    >film property).



    Most editions? hmmmmm, are you including public domain stuff? If so,
    my vote is for "Night Of The Living Dead".
     
    Mr. Moe, Nov 3, 2005
    #12
  13. On 2 Nov 2005 17:44:14 -0800, "anthony"
    <> Gave us:

    >The Wizard of Oz has now had three totally different transfers in
    >Region One -- one under the MGM moniker, and two under Warner Brothers.
    >Of course there's been a whole lot more different editions for
    >marketing purposes, but I'm talking here about absolutely different
    >transfers for DVD of the same movie, made by the same company (since
    >MGM and Warner were really just different DVD house-tags for the Turner
    >film property).



    They also have a couple (Wizard of OZ) in the Laser disc form
    factor, and there is a Criterion disc set as well, that most closely
    matches the set(s) that just came out on DVD.

    The thing I find most interesting is the way the two ladies did the
    transfer.
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 3, 2005
    #13
  14. On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:03:28 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:13:32 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:25:52 -0500, Allan
    >><> Gave us:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:03:49 GMT, NunYa Bidness
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>>Evil Dead 1 or 2?
    >>>>
    >>>> Blade Runner has a lot.
    >>>
    >>>Yeah one is a lot....
    >>>

    >> You're an idiot.

    >
    >Grin.... wrong once again fool.


    There is more than one release of The Blade Runner out, idiot.
    >
    >Crawl away.


    Grow the **** up, retard.
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 3, 2005
    #14
  15. Rich

    jayembee Guest

    NunYa Bidness <> wrote:

    > They also have a couple (Wizard of OZ) in the Laser disc form
    > factor, and there is a Criterion disc set as well, that most closely
    > matches the set(s) that just came out on DVD.


    Actually, it's MGM's "The Ultimate Oz" LD box set that most
    closely matches the current DVD release, not the Criterion LD.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, Nov 3, 2005
    #15
  16. On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:24:17 GMT, jayembee
    <> Gave us:

    >NunYa Bidness <> wrote:
    >
    >> They also have a couple (Wizard of OZ) in the Laser disc form
    >> factor, and there is a Criterion disc set as well, that most closely
    >> matches the set(s) that just came out on DVD.

    >
    >Actually, it's MGM's "The Ultimate Oz" LD box set that most
    >closely matches the current DVD release, not the Criterion LD.
    >


    Content wise, yes. OK, I'll stab at saying that the Criterion set
    was better video quality, as it was 100% CAV, IIRC, and there was some
    claim about source stock or something, no?

    I didn't know about the other from the studio. It had all that, eh?
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 3, 2005
    #16
  17. Rich

    jayembee Guest

    NunYa Bidness <> wrote:

    > jayembee <> Gave us:
    >
    >> NunYa Bidness <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> They also have a couple (Wizard of OZ) in the Laser disc form
    >>> factor, and there is a Criterion disc set as well, that most closely
    >>> matches the set(s) that just came out on DVD.

    >>
    >> Actually, it's MGM's "The Ultimate Oz" LD box set that most
    >> closely matches the current DVD release, not the Criterion LD.

    >
    > Content wise, yes. OK, I'll stab at saying that the Criterion set
    > was better video quality, as it was 100% CAV, IIRC, and there was some
    > claim about source stock or something, no?


    Actually, the Criterion LD doesn't have much to recommend it, except
    perhaps a couple of exclusive extras that aren't on any later editions,
    LD or DVD. At the time of its release, it was considerably better than
    any other release of that title in any home video format. But compared
    to "The Ultimate Oz" LD set -- let alone the new DVD -- it looks terrible.

    (In much the same way as their LD of, say, CITIZEN KANE was State
    of the Art at the time it was released, but has been surpassed since.)

    > I didn't know about the other from the studio. It had all that, eh?


    Oh, yeah. It didn't have everything that's in the current DVD set,
    but it was pretty deserving of the moniker "The Ultimate Oz".

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, Nov 4, 2005
    #17
  18. Rich

    Allan Guest


    >>
    >>Grin.... wrong once again fool.

    >
    > There is more than one release of The Blade Runner out, idiot.


    Ah... nope. Wrong again fool.

    >>
    >>Crawl away.

    >
    > Grow the **** up, retard.


    Only one "Retard"..... your father would be proud.






    "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable from
    -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
     
    Allan, Nov 4, 2005
    #18
  19. On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 03:27:33 GMT, jayembee
    <> Gave us:

    >NunYa Bidness <> wrote:
    >
    >> jayembee <> Gave us:
    >>
    >>> NunYa Bidness <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> They also have a couple (Wizard of OZ) in the Laser disc form
    >>>> factor, and there is a Criterion disc set as well, that most closely
    >>>> matches the set(s) that just came out on DVD.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, it's MGM's "The Ultimate Oz" LD box set that most
    >>> closely matches the current DVD release, not the Criterion LD.

    >>
    >> Content wise, yes. OK, I'll stab at saying that the Criterion set
    >> was better video quality, as it was 100% CAV, IIRC, and there was some
    >> claim about source stock or something, no?

    >
    >Actually, the Criterion LD doesn't have much to recommend it, except
    >perhaps a couple of exclusive extras that aren't on any later editions,
    >LD or DVD. At the time of its release, it was considerably better than
    >any other release of that title in any home video format. But compared
    >to "The Ultimate Oz" LD set -- let alone the new DVD -- it looks terrible.
    >
    >(In much the same way as their LD of, say, CITIZEN KANE was State
    >of the Art at the time it was released, but has been surpassed since.)
    >
    >> I didn't know about the other from the studio. It had all that, eh?

    >
    >Oh, yeah. It didn't have everything that's in the current DVD set,
    >but it was pretty deserving of the moniker "The Ultimate Oz".
    >
    >-- jayembee


    I am currently checking out my new OZ 3 Disc set. Pretty good so
    far. Rusty tin man more evident.. :-]

    I also have the 2001 ASO from Criterion. Six freakin' discs to flip
    around! Ahhhhhh!

    I LOVE DVD!
     
    NunYa Bidness, Nov 5, 2005
    #19
  20. "William Oertell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > There's a whole bunch of Independence Day versions out. Gotta be five or
    > more.


    Lemme see... just off from the top of my head.....

    2 Disc SE
    1 Disc Widescreen
    1 Disc P&S
    1 Disc "Deluxe Edition" released to tie in with "Day After Tommorow."
    Region 3 (I think) DTS Extended Edition

    Yeah you are pretty close.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
     
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Nov 10, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tom Meyer

    Battle Royale DVD: Too many editions!!

    Tom Meyer, Jul 1, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,844
    Shrapnel
    Jul 1, 2003
  2. J. Alfred Prufrock

    Animal House - 1-DVD or 2-DVD Editions???????

    J. Alfred Prufrock, Sep 3, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    454
    Eric R.
    Sep 4, 2003
  3. James
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    698
    Joshua Zyber
    Jan 17, 2004
  4. kevins_news
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    581
    Eric R.
    Feb 2, 2004
  5. Knowledge

    Which database has the most horsepower?

    Knowledge, May 1, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    484
    Aardvark
    May 2, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page