which dvd drive ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
    holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    > Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them

    is

    Robert Bradshaw, Jul 12, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    Ben Perston Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
    > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
    change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
    scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
    was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
    completely different.

    Ben Perston, Jul 13, 2003
  4. "Ben Perston" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

    by
    > > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    > Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
    > change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
    > scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
    > was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
    > completely different.

    yeah I'v heard good things about Asus too, so that's probably the one unless
    anyone else has any other opinions?

    ---

    Robert Bradshaw, Jul 13, 2003
  5. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > ---

    There's a new AVG update available as of the 10th.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:28:29 +1200, "Robert Bradshaw" <>
    wrote:

    >"Ben Perston" <> wrote in message
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >> > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

    >by
    >> > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    >> Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
    >> change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
    >> scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
    >> was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
    >> completely different.
    >>

    >yeah I'v heard good things about Asus too, so that's probably the one unless
    >anyone else has any other opinions?

    Pleased with my Asus as well. It ripped a track from a scratched audio CD that
    my regular CDrom drive had problems with.

    Invisible, Jul 13, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    Brett Cooper Guest

    Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
    it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 13, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:42:40 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    >> ---

    > There's a new AVG update available as of the 10th.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Well, this must go down as a case of where the sig matches the posting, as
    far as the subjucet of the thread goes. :)

    Gordon, Jul 13, 2003
  9. cowboyz

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <> wrote:

    >Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
    >it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.

    Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
    Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

    Invisible, Jul 13, 2003
  10. cowboyz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:42:40 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    > > "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    > >> ---

    > > There's a new AVG update available as of the 10th.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > Well, this must go down as a case of where the sig matches the posting, as
    > far as the subjucet of the thread goes. :)

    :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2003
  11. cowboyz

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:31:45 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
    >>it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.
    >>

    >Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
    >Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

    Yes it handles +R find but -R is doesn't want to see. Model? ummm NEW,
    brought it this year from Advantage computers, cost a few $'s more than
    some other sites, but I could pick it up and they gave me a free bag of
    chocolate covered raisins. Oh the drive also has problems reading chocolate
    raisins =) <free raisins = free promotion> Oh it's a E616 with firmware
    V2.0 and it does the zone resetting sweetas.

    Well I just had a look at
    http://www.asus.com/products/optical/dvd-e616/overview.htm
    and it says, "Full Playability: accessing all format DVD-ROM/R/RW, DVD+RW
    and CD-ROM/R/RW discs"

    Maybe I just had a freaky disk, but it played ok in my brothers dvd-player.

    Strange ah
    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 14, 2003
  12. cowboyz

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:31:45 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:25:06 +1200, Brett Cooper <> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok I could say my ASUS is good but the only thing I found with it was that
    >>it doesn't read DVD-R disks. But apart from that, it's damb fine.
    >>

    >Which model have you got? Just chucked a DVD+R in and it read it no problem.
    >Haven't got any -R's lying around to test though.

    I see there is a new Frimware upgrade. 2.2
    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/dvdrom/e616/DVDROME616_22.exe
    It might fix my dvd-r feature.

    Brett Cooper, Jul 14, 2003
  13. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:24:12 +1200, "Robert Bradshaw" <>
    wrote:

    >Out of these which one should I get.. the price differences between them is
    >marginal
    >
    >Asus E616 16x48x Retail DVD-Rom Drive
    >LG DRD-8161B 16x48x oem DVD-Rom Drive
    >LiteOn 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
    >Mitsubishi 16x Black Retail DVD-Rom Drive
    >Pioneer DVD-120 16x Tray load oem DVD-Rom Drive
    >Sony DDU1621 16x40x oem DVD-Rom Drive
    >
    >any advice appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Rob
    >

    >---

    I see that CloneCD only recommend the Toshiba brand, Ascent & PP used to
    list them.

    To do with copying protected CD games.

    "Although all DVD/CD Readers work with CloneCD, only a few read subchannel
    data. We recommend TOSHIBA DVD-Readers for reading. "

    Master Tech ©, Jul 14, 2003
  14. cowboyz

    k y l e Guest

    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock

    by
    > > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    > Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
    > change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
    > scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
    > was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
    > completely different.

    I have the aforementioned slot-loading Pioneer drive and am very happy with
    it.

    k y l e, Jul 15, 2003
  15. In article <3f10ae50$>,
    says...
    > cowboyz wrote:
    > > i have the asus and very happy with it. you can reset the region lock by
    > > holding the buttons on front of the drive on bootup.

    > Another thumbs up for the Asus here - quiet, easy to reset the region
    > change counter, and it rips audio CDs very fast (provided they're not
    > scratched). My experience with a Pioneer slot loading drive (116 maybe)
    > was rather less pleasant, but the tray loading drives might be
    > completely different.

    The region resetting feature sounds good, gosh I wish that the damn
    music/movie companies got their fingers smacked for all that damn
    stupidity ...

    What I really wanted to say though is, that I am very happy with my slot
    Pioneer drive. Love it all to pieces. It doesn't like some badly copy
    protected CDs though - some Sierra games lead to headbanging like at a
    Motorhead concert. But so far it hasn't killed it yet... operating it is
    much nicer than a drive with a tray i.m.o. : you don't have the open tray
    waiting to be swiped by a swivel chair while you reach for that other
    disk or whatever ...

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 15, 2003
  16. cowboyz

    Mick0r Guest

    I've got a Pioneer Tray Load DVD drive. Its great. Seems to read
    everything. But, I've almost taken out the open tray with a swivel
    chair. The only reason I didn't buy the slot loading one is because
    they were out of stock :/

    Cheers

    Mick0r, Jul 27, 2003
  17. I ordered an Asus one from pp.co.nz last week because it is easy to change
    the regions on it and DMA100 rather then DMA33 or 66 (can't remember whcih)
    that the pioneer was limited at.

    Robert Bradshaw, Jul 27, 2003