    I could name dozens, but I'll start out with Animal House and The Blues Brothers. How John Landis found time to sit down to do commentary for Kentucky Fried Movie but not these two is still a mystery to me.

    Next?

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004

  2. David Byrne and co-writers-"True Stories"

    Philip Kaufman-"Henry and June"

    John Dahl-"The Last Seduction"

    Richard Rich-"The Black Cauldron"

    Vlvetmorning98, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    Wow, thanks for the John Dahl reminder. I just went ahead and ordered Red
    Rock West from amazon.com :)

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Spookshow

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Spookshow, says...
    > Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

    Generally speaking, the only commentary tracks I listen to are the ones
    by the visual effects supervisor on the film. Only a relatively few DVDs
    have such tracks (off the top of my head I can think of Contact, Lost in
    Space). I'd like to see pretty much any big summer blockbuster with a
    VFX Supervisor track.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    I'm not a big VFX maven, so commentaries that feature those kinds of guys
    generally send me off to la-la land. Cast Away, Jurassic Park III, The
    Matrix and Twister are ones that come readily to mind. Got any suggestions
    for VFX-oriented commentaries that feature really interesting and
    entertaining personalities?

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Spookshow

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Spookshow, says...
    > Got any suggestions
    > for VFX-oriented commentaries that feature really interesting and
    > entertaining personalities?

    Unfortunately, no. There might be some, but frankly I never noticed. For
    me, it's not about the entertainment value. I listen to learn more about
    my craft.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Spookshow

    Bexley Guest

    1 - The Bedford Incident
    2 - Patton
    3 - Blue Velvet

    I think it should be mandatory that all DVDs come with commentary. Bruce Campbell should be put on stand-by to do commentary for any movie where the director isn't available. Rober Ebert should never be allowed to do commentary -- "Matte Drawing" Jeeze.

    --Bex.

    --
    Duckman - I've seen plenty of guys with smaller bills than me....
    not that I look at other guys bills.
    I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

    Bexley, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Spookshow

    Mike Kohary Guest

    >I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally

    skewed towards releases that >include them. Which DVDs that currently don't
    include commentary would you like to see re-released with >commentary?

    I would love to hear Spielberg do commentaries on his films. He's an
    extremely articulate speaker, and I'm sure an analysis of his own films
    would be fascinating. However, I understand the reason he doesn't want to
    do them and respect it.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Spookshow

    Mike Kohary Guest

    >I think it should be mandatory that all DVDs come with commentary. Bruce

    Campbell should be put on stand->by to do commentary for any movie where the
    director isn't available. Rober Ebert should never be allowed >to do
    commentary

    Why? Ebert's commentary on "Dark City" is one of the best commentaries out
    there.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 14, 2004
  10. Spookshow wrote:

    > I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally
    > skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently
    > don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

    None. Out of the upwards of a thousand or more
    dvds I own I've never listened to one nor ever
    will and don't think I even know anyone who gives
    a flip. I'd rather they use the wasted space so
    that the regular soundtracks didn't have to be
    compressed.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Apr 14, 2004
  11. Mark Spatny wrote:

    > Spookshow, says...
    >
    >>Which DVDs that currently don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with commentary?

    > Generally speaking, the only commentary tracks I listen to are the ones
    > by the visual effects supervisor on the film. Only a relatively few DVDs
    > have such tracks (off the top of my head I can think of Contact, Lost in
    > Space). I'd like to see pretty much any big summer blockbuster with a
    > VFX Supervisor track.

    Well don't listen to Jurassic Park 3's track, it's a snoozer. I thought
    I was going to hear a lot about CG, animatronics, etc., but instead all
    I got was a bunch of babbling that had little to do with special and
    visual effects.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 14, 2004
  12. Spookshow

    Dennis Kuhn Guest

    "Spookshow" <> wrote in message news:<407c75c7$0$17257$>...
    > I'm a big fan of DVD commentary tracks and my DVD collection is totally
    > skewed towards releases that include them. Which DVDs that currently
    > don't include commentary would you like to see re-released with
    > commentary?

    They just re-released Labyrinth. Again. Looks like most of the effort
    in the "extras" department was geared towards printed material stuck
    in the box. The picture was re-mastered as well, but this movie is
    really crying out for a commentary... from any number of
    possibilities.

    It'd be fascinating to hear Jennifer talking about what it was like
    working as a 14-15 year old on a set with a bunch of puppeteers and a
    rock star. Or hear David Bowie tell stories about all the women who
    ask him if he still owns those tights. Or hear some of the puppeteers
    talk about the unique challenges of things like the Escher set, or the
    Helping Hands, etc.

    At least the Behind The Scenes documentary is there. It's hilarious
    to see stuff like the future Doctor Crusher from Star Trek as the
    choreographer.

    Dennis

    Dennis Kuhn, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Spookshow

    Jeffy3 Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message news:<c5jgno$5i1$>...

    > I would love to hear Spielberg do commentaries on his films. He's an
    > extremely articulate speaker, and I'm sure an analysis of his own films
    > would be fascinating. However, I understand the reason he doesn't want to
    > do them and respect it.
    >
    > Mike

    What's the reason? I never heard.

    Jeffy3, Apr 14, 2004
  14. Spookshow

    Mike Kohary Guest

    > > I would love to hear Spielberg do commentaries on his films. He's an
    > > extremely articulate speaker, and I'm sure an analysis of his own films
    > > would be fascinating. However, I understand the reason he doesn't want

    > > do them and respect it.

    > What's the reason? I never heard.

    He feels it would be akin to revealing magician's tricks, and prefers to
    limit discussion of his films to what you see on the screen, not what might
    have been. I think he feels it would be distracting to have too much
    technical/artistic analysis out there. "Make it and move on." That's the
    nutshell version, anyway...I can't seem to dig up an exact quote right now.
    There are other directors that feel the same way (it was the same reason Sam
    Mendes nixed the idea of putting deleted scenes on the American Beauty
    release, especially an alternate ending. He didn't want people reading
    different things into the movie than what he intended.)

    If Spielberg was discussing this with me, I'd tell him that commentaries can
    have great historical and technical value, and he might want to reconsider
    on those grounds. But I understand his point as well.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 14, 2004
  15. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    It's a valid reason I guess, but if he doesn't want to reveal the secrets
    "behind the curtain" he could certainly craft the commentary some other way.
    Some of the commentaries that I like the best are the least technical and
    analytical and basically consist of a few entertaining people swapping
    stories and having a good time.

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  16. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    Hi, Darrel, I'm Mark - pleased to meet you! There, now you know one person
    who gives a flip :)

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  17. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    I'm not a big fan of VFX-oriented commentaries. That stuff can be really
    interesting when presented in a "making of" documentary, but (for me,
    anyway) has limited appeal in the context of a commentary. As I recall the
    JP3 commentary basically consists of people pointing out which dinos are
    animatronic and which are CGI and not much else...

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  18. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    Ditto on all three. The existing "commentary" for Patton was a huge disappointment. If you're going to bring in a GSP "expert" to do commentary, why not have him do feature-length, scene-specific commentary that compares the movie to the facts? (as opposed to the included 15 minute bio that plays over the beginning of the film).

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  19. Spookshow

    Spookshow Guest

    I don't mind Roger Ebert. I thought his commentary for Citizen Kane was OK
    (not as good as Bogdanovich, but whatever). He's certainly leaps and bounds
    ahead of some of these film historian guys whose droning commentary is the
    equivalent of listening to somebody read the encyclopedia out loud for two
    hours.

    I gotta agree about Bruce Campbell, though. The commentaries for the Evil
    Dead movies are among the best.

    -Mark

    Spookshow, Apr 14, 2004
  20. >They just re-released Labyrinth. Again. Looks like most of the effort
    >in the "extras" department was geared towards printed material stuck
    >in the box. The picture was re-mastered as well, but this movie is
    >really crying out for a commentary...

    as is "Dark Crystal". How about Brian Froud or Terry Jones?

    Vlvetmorning98, Apr 14, 2004