Which Dual ethernet Cisco router for Cable modem <--> LAN ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jaap Hubert, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Jaap Hubert

    Jaap Hubert Guest

    I am fortunate enough to have an ISP which offers unmetered Internet access
    using Motorola cable modems and offers a subscription which guarantees 10
    Mbit/sec download and 1.2 Mbit/sec upload.

    The unfortunate situation is that my Cisco 1605R is unable to cope with the
    current download speed of 6 Mbit/sec..

    I am looking for a Cisco router which is able to route at least 10 Mbit/sec
    between two Ethernet ports.

    I want to connect my LAN (some 12 computers) to one Ethernet port and
    connect the cable modem to another Ethernet port.

    Which Cisco router can I use to do this?

    There are only a few native dual ethernet routers but is it also possible to
    use a router with a WIC port and install an WIC Ethernet adapter?

    Thanks in advance.

    Jaap Hubert

    Jaap Hubert, Feb 9, 2005

  2. Jaap Hubert

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Feb 9, 2005

  3. Jaap Hubert

    Ben Guest

    Jaap Hubert wrote:
    > I am fortunate enough to have an ISP which offers unmetered Internet access
    > using Motorola cable modems and offers a subscription which guarantees 10
    > Mbit/sec download and 1.2 Mbit/sec upload.
    >
    > The unfortunate situation is that my Cisco 1605R is unable to cope with the
    > current download speed of 6 Mbit/sec..
    >
    > I am looking for a Cisco router which is able to route at least 10 Mbit/sec
    > between two Ethernet ports.
    >
    > I want to connect my LAN (some 12 computers) to one Ethernet port and
    > connect the cable modem to another Ethernet port.
    >
    > Which Cisco router can I use to do this?
    >
    > There are only a few native dual ethernet routers but is it also possible to
    > use a router with a WIC port and install an WIC Ethernet adapter?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Jaap Hubert

    I had the exact same situation - I upgraded to a 1721 (better than the
    discontinued 1720) and bought a 10baseT WIC to go with it. Works like a
    charm and no performance problems like the 1605. Should come with a VPN
    card aswell.

    I wouldn't bother getting any of the dual ethernet 2600 versions unless
    you find a v. good deal - they're also a good deal noisier.

    Ben, Feb 10, 2005
  4. Ben wrote:
    > I had the exact same situation - I upgraded to a 1721 (better than the
    > discontinued 1720) and bought a 10baseT WIC to go with it. Works like a
    > charm and no performance problems like the 1605. Should come with a VPN
    > card aswell.

    What about the 1712? Cheaper than a 1721+WIC1ENET, and comes with 4port
    switch and a BRI port ... haven't checked on the performance yet ...

    Garry Glendown, Feb 10, 2005
  5. Jaap Hubert

    Ben Guest

    Garry Glendown wrote:
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> I had the exact same situation - I upgraded to a 1721 (better than the
    >> discontinued 1720) and bought a 10baseT WIC to go with it. Works like
    >> a charm and no performance problems like the 1605. Should come with a
    >> VPN card aswell.

    > What about the 1712? Cheaper than a 1721+WIC1ENET, and comes with 4port
    > switch and a BRI port ... haven't checked on the performance yet ...

    Actually these look pretty good.

    They were announcing after the EOS for the 1720 so they are probably the
    same performance specs as the 1721.

    The 1712 has an ISDN BRI for backup, the 1711 has an analogue modem port.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_bulletin09186a00801ae96d.html

    Ben, Feb 10, 2005