    http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
    page file
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

    Acetyldehyde, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Acetyldehyde wrote:
    > I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
    > for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
    > Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its away
    > from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
    > access.
    > note: the raid volume is VERY fast.

    Personally I always keep the pagefile on the fastest drive.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 19, 2004

  3. "Acetyldehyde" <> wrote in message
    > I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
    > for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
    >
    > Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its

    away
    > from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
    > access.
    >
    > note: the raid volume is VERY fast.
    >
    > While trying to find out why XP indexing is so horrible I came across this
    > great site which also had lots a good stuff about page files like how to
    > defrag them.
    >
    > indexing
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
    > page file
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

    I use PageDefrag from www.sysinternals.com. It keeps the pagefile in order,
    plus the registry and event files.

    I also have the indexing service disabled and removed the Index attribute
    from my hard drive.

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Acetyldehyde

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:26:41 +1300, Acetyldehyde wrote:

    > I have an XP box with a pair of SATA 60 gb drives set up as a raid0 volume
    > for my primary drive, and a ATA 133 drive as a backup/storage drive.
    >
    > Will moving my page file off my primary drive be an improvement as its away
    > from the OS system files, or will the speed difference degrade page file
    > access.
    >
    > note: the raid volume is VERY fast.
    >
    > While trying to find out why XP indexing is so horrible I came across this
    > great site which also had lots a good stuff about page files like how to
    > defrag them.
    >
    > indexing
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm
    > page file
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

    If you ever get to the bottom of that indexing problem please post the
    answers here.

    Like Maurico I turned it off, and I turned off the stupid dog ....
    but file find runs like a dog. 90%+ of processing power and slow slow slow
    slow.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Acetyldehyde

    Acetyldehyde Guest

    I occasionally (when I remeber) turn on indexing when I'm off for the
    day/night and leave the ba5tard to do it's thing. It's only horrible when
    it's building the index. When it's done the disk thrashing stops and you are
    allowed to use your computer again...

    Acetyldehyde, Feb 19, 2004