    interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?

    Thank you for any information and advice.

    BT

    Ben Theil, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Ben Theil

    john Guest

    Hi Ben

    check out this link:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    gives you a good idea of how fast or slow the cards perform on different
    cameras. so it does depend a little on which camera you are using.

    cheers!
    john

    john, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Ben Theil

    y_p_w Guest

    "john" <> wrote in message news:<brr4q6$sqd$>...
    > Hi Ben
    >
    > check out this link:
    >
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >
    > gives you a good idea of how fast or slow the cards perform on different
    > cameras. so it does depend a little on which camera you are using.

    The big caveat would be the following question on the front page:

    "How Can I Be Sure the Card I Buy is the Same One Tested in this Report?"

    Some Compact Flash sellers just slap their labels on cards purchased as
    commodity items. They may switch suppliers. However - the report
    does seem to hint at some re-branders having stable suppliers.

    y_p_w, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Ben Theil

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ben Theil wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
    > additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
    > tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
    > will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
    > interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
    >
    > Thank you for any information and advice.
    >
    > BT

    Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
    cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
    camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
    'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
    wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
    Canon Digital Rebel category.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Ben Theil

    Ben Theil Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    > Ben Theil wrote:
    >
    >> Hello again,
    >>
    >> Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to
    >> buy additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards,
    >> there are tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I
    >> know my camera will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive
    >> I am not really interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand
    >> is better?
    >>
    >> Thank you for any information and advice.
    >>

    > Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
    > cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
    > camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
    > 'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
    > wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
    > Canon Digital Rebel category.

    Thank you for your repost and advice.

    My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
    cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find that
    Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
    256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
    seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.

    Any advice.

    BT

    Ben Theil, Dec 18, 2003
  6. > My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
    > cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find

    that
    > Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
    > 256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
    > seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.
    >
    > Any advice.
    >
    > BT

    I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
    card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Ben Theil

    y_p_w Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in message news:<xXiEb.161$>...
    > > My older camera had 64 Type II from SanDisk? The 256MB and 512MB CF
    > > cards are coming out in Type I. Reading a little about them, I find

    > that
    > > Type I cards are slimmer and are little bit more delicate. Do they make
    > > 256MB and 512MB CF cards in Type II model? Type II is more sturdier and
    > > seems to be more modern/newer in CF technology.
    > >
    > > Any advice.
    > >
    > > BT

    > I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
    > card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

    I believe Microdrive CF cards are Type II. Some people have been
    stung because they bought a Type II card when they needed Type I.

    y_p_w, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Ben Theil

    y_p_w Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Ben Theil wrote:
    >
    > > Hello again,
    > >
    > > Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
    > > additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there are
    > > tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
    > > will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
    > > interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
    > >
    > > Thank you for any information and advice.
    > >
    > > BT

    > Type doesn't matter. Look for the size and speed you need. Faster
    > cards probably won't make much difference in the performance of your
    > camera, but will pay dividends when used in your card reader. The
    > 'sweet spot' in size vs. cost is around 256 meg now, but you probably
    > wont' need that large a card unless you are buying something in the
    > Canon Digital Rebel category.

    Most people don't need "faster". I do know someone who uses a Canon
    1D for sports photography, and sometimes he needs the extra speed
    for when he takes those 10-20 shot bursts. A faster card reduces the
    chances that a shot is going to be missed because the camera is still
    writing to the card. I guess most people don't have his needs though.

    y_p_w, Dec 18, 2003
  9. > > I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
    > > card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

    > I believe Microdrive CF cards are Type II. Some people have been
    > stung because they bought a Type II card when they needed Type I.

    I meant "solid-state memory" as opposed to "disk".

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 18, 2003
  10. "Ron Hunter" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Ben Theil wrote:
    >
    > > Hello again,
    > >
    > > Now that my new camera is almost close to delivery, I am looking to buy
    > > additional Compact Flash. When I started search about CF cards, there

    are
    > > tons of them out there. Type I and Type II and on... I know my camera
    > > will take Type 1/II and Microdrive. As for Microdrive I am not really
    > > interested. Which CF Type should I buy? Which brand is better?
    > >
    > > Thank you for any information and advice.
    > >
    > > BT

    > Type doesn't matter.

    Yes it does. But prize doesn't give anything better. Make shure the card is
    known to operate well tegether with your digicam, that's all that matters.

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Dec 19, 2003
  11. >I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
    >card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

    They are out there, especially in the larger size cards. 1, 2, 4 gig. I have
    a 512 meg card that is type II here. It does not work in my Canon A80, of
    course.

    -----
    Kerry Sanders
    http://photos.pshack.com/

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 22, 2003
  12. "Kerry Sanders" <> wrote in message
    > >I have _never_ seen a thick CF card - i.e. type II. Check your 64MB
    > >card - if the connector edge is 3mm thick, it is type I.

    > They are out there, especially in the larger size cards. 1, 2, 4 gig.

    I have
    > a 512 meg card that is type II here. It does not work in my Canon A80,

    of
    > course.

    Thanks, Kerry. I still have never seen one, out in the wild, though.

    It does seem unlikely that the OP's 64MB card was type II though.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2003