    phone which works best with VOIP?

    Cheers,
    Rajil

    Rajil Saraswat, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Rajil Saraswat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Rajil Saraswat" <> wrote in message
    news:YIBTg.33790$
    > I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a
    > select a DECT phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my
    > asterisk server. Is there recommended DECT phone which
    > works best with VOIP?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rajil

    Please yourself. A phone is a phone is a phone as far as the ATA is
    concerned.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Rajil Saraswat

    Graham Guest

    >I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT phone. My
    > plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there recommended DECT
    > phone which works best with VOIP?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rajil

    I also have a PAP2 and an Asterisk box.
    I have two dect bases, one on each port (his and hers)
    When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
    each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

    My only slight regret is the caller display is rather basic, only displaying
    digits,
    and as most voip numbers get truncated as the display cant show a full
    length
    international number.

    When I plugged a stand-alone BT Caller Display unit into the PAP2
    I was suprised to see that the station name and the number were passed
    from Asterisk on internal calls, I imagine a better DECT phone would
    display these too.

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
    > I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
    > phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
    > recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rajil

    Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.

    I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller Display
    on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find which phones
    had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a loud handsfree
    that doesn't cut in and out.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 1, 2006
  5. Rajil Saraswat

    Mr Man Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
    >> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
    >> phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
    >> recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Rajil

    > Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
    >
    > I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller Display
    > on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find which phones
    > had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a loud handsfree
    > that doesn't cut in and out.

    I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller ID
    etc. works fine!

    Mr Man, Oct 1, 2006
  6. Thus spaketh Mr Man:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:
    >>> I ordered a Linksys PAP2T today and now I need to a select a DECT
    >>> phone. My plan is to hook the PAP2T to my asterisk server. Is there
    >>> recommended DECT phone which works best with VOIP?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Rajil

    >> Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
    >>
    >> I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller
    >> Display on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find
    >> which phones had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a
    >> loud handsfree that doesn't cut in and out.
    >>

    > I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller
    > ID etc. works fine!

    A couple of friends had Panasonics, I found the ear-piece volume was
    very low, are the ones you have fine in this respect?

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 1, 2006
  7. Rajil Saraswat

    Mr Man Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh Mr Man:
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>> Thus spaketh Rajil Saraswat:

    >>> Which ever you find fine on PSTN will be fine on VoIP.
    >>>
    >>> I use a BT Diverse X10, as it has CWID (Call Waiting ID (Caller
    >>> Display on Waiting Call)), it was (at the time) difficult to find
    >>> which phones had CWID and which didn't and also had as this does a
    >>> loud handsfree that doesn't cut in and out.
    >>>

    >> I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting caller
    >> ID etc. works fine!

    > A couple of friends had Panasonics, I found the ear-piece volume was
    > very low, are the ones you have fine in this respect?

    Yes, i find the ear-piece fine. I also use them with a headset at times,
    Very handy!

    Handsfree on them is loud, if your just listeninging to things, but i
    dont think anyone knows of a phone which does handsfree very well for
    conversations! Thats why i have a headset!

    Mr Man, Oct 1, 2006
  8. Rajil Saraswat

    Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <> wrote:

    >When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
    > each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

    And total crap .

    , Oct 1, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <> wrote:
    >

    >>When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
    >> each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

    >And total crap .

    I got a BT Studio 1100 recently when testing some things in the office, and
    I have to say for £19.99 out of my local Euronics shop it's bloody good!

    No answering machine, but caller ID works fine, and it passes
    alpha calling ID through too when hooked up to my asterisk system
    on a Digium card. Speech quality is excellent, and it also has a
    message-waiting-indicator, (little reel-to-reel tape icon in the display)
    and I've absolutely no idea how it's working, but my asterisk system
    manages to set it when there is voicemail waiting for that extension.

    The only down-side, and it's not really an issue is that it's a shade
    warm when used right off the cradle, but otherwise, (and much as I hate
    BT!) I'd give it top marks.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 1, 2006
  10. Rajil Saraswat

    Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:29:12 +0000 (UTC),
    (Gordon Henderson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 23:44:30 +0100, "Graham" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>When I bought the phones I went for the cheapest I could find, IIRC 19GBP
    >>> each, (discontinued Binatone lines from Comet).

    >>And total crap .

    >I got a BT Studio 1100 recently when testing some things in the office, and
    >I have to say for £19.99 out of my local Euronics shop it's bloody good!

    I have the BT Diverse X10 and again very good I also know quite a few
    people who have various models of BT phones and say they are good
    also.

    , Oct 1, 2006
  11. Thus spaketh Mr Man:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Thus spaketh Mr Man:

    >>> I like the panasonics, Name and Number caller ID, call waiting
    >>> caller ID etc. works fine!

    >> A couple of friends had Panasonics, I found the ear-piece volume was
    >> very low, are the ones you have fine in this respect?
    >>

    > Yes, i find the ear-piece fine. I also use them with a headset at
    > times, Very handy!
    >
    > Handsfree on them is loud, if your just listeninging to things, but i
    > dont think anyone knows of a phone which does handsfree very well for
    > conversations! Thats why i have a headset!

    That's great to know thanks, which model is it you are happy with?

    I've found the X10 on handsfree to be very good, I've had others and
    they had been dreadful, though I also have a headset I use with it when
    needed.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Oct 1, 2006
  12. Rajil Saraswat

    alexd Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > When I plugged a stand-alone BT Caller Display unit into the PAP2
    > I was suprised to see that the station name and the number were passed
    > from Asterisk on internal calls, I imagine a better DECT phone would
    > display these too.

    You imagine correctly.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:44:02 up 36 days, 49 min, 4 users, load average: 0.53, 0.43, 0.28

    alexd, Oct 1, 2006
  13. Rajil Saraswat

    Mr Man Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    > That's great to know thanks, which model is it you are happy with?
    >
    > I've found the X10 on handsfree to be very good, I've had others and
    > they had been dreadful, though I also have a headset I use with it when
    > needed.

    I've a couple of KX-TCD515 / KX-TCA151EM 's....... Think they are the
    same thing!

    First one i got i paid £90 for at a silly catalogue shop we all know!
    Second one i picked up on ebay for under 30 quid

    Mr Man, Oct 1, 2006
  14. Rajil Saraswat

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:35:15 GMT, Mr Man
    <> wrote:

    >{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >
    >> That's great to know thanks, which model is it you are happy with?
    >>
    >> I've found the X10 on handsfree to be very good, I've had others and
    >> they had been dreadful, though I also have a headset I use with it when
    >> needed.

    Best around pity they cannot be bought easly now in the UK only one
    outlet I think called UK phones or something plus quite a few on Ebay
    or there was .

    , Oct 1, 2006
  15. Rajil Saraswat

    Nick B. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:35:15 GMT, Mr Man
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's great to know thanks, which model is it you are happy with?
    >>>
    >>> I've found the X10 on handsfree to be very good, I've had others and
    >>> they had been dreadful, though I also have a headset I use with it when
    >>> needed.

    > Best around pity they cannot be bought easly now in the UK only one
    > outlet I think called UK phones or something plus quite a few on Ebay
    > or there was .

    I use a Motorola (without answerphone) that I found in Asda a few months
    ago. Blue backlight not my cup of tea but audio quality is OK and it
    handles CLID from my SPA3000. Handsfree is OK. Keys are fairly large
    compared with other models and easy to operate with my phat phingers.

    --
    Nick B.

    Nick B., Oct 1, 2006
  16. Rajil Saraswat

    Guest

    On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:17:28 +0100, "Nick B." <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 19:35:15 GMT, Mr Man
    >> <> wrote:

    >> Best around pity they cannot be bought easly now in the UK only one
    >> outlet I think called UK phones or something plus quite a few on Ebay
    >> or there was .

    >I use a Motorola (without answerphone) that I found in Asda a few months
    >ago. Blue backlight not my cup of tea but audio quality is OK and it
    >handles CLID from my SPA3000. Handsfree is OK. Keys are fairly large
    >compared with other models and easy to operate with my phat phingers.

    I bought a BT Zenith ( flip phone ) in January it went faulty a couple
    of weeks ago so took it back to Curry's on instructions from BT tech
    support , seems the Zenith is no longer available so Currys let me
    swap it for a Motorola twin no answerphone . Yes the audio quality is
    good and it handles CLID with my PAP 2 but just like you not really my
    cup of tea either not bothered about the back light but the handset is
    a little on the small side for me not a good handful like the BT
    Diverse X10's .Just why are manufactures insisting on making phones
    smaller and smaller it took me two months to find a replacement mobile
    earlier in the year that I didn't need to buy a microscope along with
    it to see it :)) .

    , Oct 1, 2006
  17. Rajil Saraswat

    Daviey Guest

    On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 22:17 +0100, Nick B. wrote:

    > I use a Motorola (without answerphone) that I found in Asda a few months
    > ago. Blue backlight not my cup of tea but audio quality is OK and it
    > handles CLID from my SPA3000. Handsfree is OK. Keys are fairly large
    > compared with other models and easy to operate with my phat phingers.

    Did the caller display show caller's name (CNAM) passed from asterisk or
    just the telephone number?

    TIA

    Daviey, Oct 4, 2006
  18. Rajil Saraswat

    Nick B. Guest

    Daviey wrote:
    > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 22:17 +0100, Nick B. wrote:
    >
    >> I use a Motorola (without answerphone) that I found in Asda a few months
    >> ago. Blue backlight not my cup of tea but audio quality is OK and it
    >> handles CLID from my SPA3000. Handsfree is OK. Keys are fairly large
    >> compared with other models and easy to operate with my phat phingers.
    >>

    > Did the caller display show caller's name (CNAM) passed from asterisk or
    > just the telephone number?

    Not using with *, only SPA-3000. Passes number from PSTN and SIP account
    (Sipgate).

    HTH
    --
    Nick B.