Which Decade are we in ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *Less*, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    Happy new Year to everyone!

    I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.

    Thanks

    *Less*
     
    *Less*, Jan 4, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hello,

    In light of the fact that there was no 0 AD, 2010 is the last year of the
    first decade of the 21st century.

    HTH!

    IHT

    "*Less*" <**> wrote in message
    news:1Sc0n.1464$...
    > Happy new Year to everyone!
    >
    > I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    > I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >
    > Thanks
    > *Less*
    >
    >
    >
     
    Internet Highway Traveler, Jan 4, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    Hello IHT.

    Thanks for Your reply, I see it exactly the same way.
    The following Link is trying to confuse me and it not even April fool yet.

    See for yourself:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100102/world/us_twins_two_decades

    *Less*

    "Internet Highway Traveler" <>
    wrote in message..
    > Hello,
    >
    > In light of the fact that there was no 0 AD, 2010 is the last year of
    > the first decade of the 21st century.
    >
    > HTH!
    >
    > IHT
    >
    > "*Less*" <**> wrote in message
    > news:1Sc0n.1464$...
    >> Happy new Year to everyone!
    >>
    >> I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    >> I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> *Less*
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
     
    *Less*, Jan 4, 2010
    #3
  4. *Less*

    lugnut Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:09:22 -0500, "Internet Highway
    Traveler" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >In light of the fact that there was no 0 AD, 2010 is the last year of the
    >first decade of the 21st century.
    >
    >HTH!
    >
    >IHT
    >
    >"*Less*" <**> wrote in message
    >news:1Sc0n.1464$...
    >> Happy new Year to everyone!
    >>
    >> I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    >> I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> *Less*
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >



    I think it has something to do with the new math wherein
    they start counting with "0" instead of "1". This is a
    method commonly used by those in middle age to be a bit
    younger than they are delaying each birthday by a year. For
    those using regular old fashioned math, this would be the
    10th or last year of the first decade of the century.

    Lugnut
     
    lugnut, Jan 4, 2010
    #4
  5. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    "lugnut" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:09:22 -0500, "Internet Highway
    > Traveler" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>In light of the fact that there was no 0 AD, 2010 is the last year of
    >>the
    >>first decade of the 21st century.


    <snip>

    >
    > I think it has something to do with the new math wherein
    > they start counting with "0" instead of "1". This is a
    > method commonly used by those in middle age to be a bit
    > younger than they are delaying each birthday by a year. For
    > those using regular old fashioned math, this would be the
    > 10th or last year of the first decade of the century.
    >
    > Lugnut


    Thanks for sharing, I am for the Old Fashion math.
    I wonder how the rest of the World are doing with math.

    Decade Translations

    decade in Afrikaans is dekade
    decade in Dutch is decennium
    decade in German is Dekade, Jahrzehnt, Dekade
    decade in Italian is decennio

    *Less*
     
    *Less*, Jan 4, 2010
    #5
  6. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    *Less* wrote:
    > Happy new Year to everyone!


    You are correct. Monday - today - is the first day of the ISO year
    which is based on weeks which iso weeks start on Monday. 2009 had what
    some people call a 'leap week' which is the 53rd week of the year. 2009
    ran from 2008 Dec 29 to 2009 Jan 3, including the leap week.

    > I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000


    It depends on how you want to talk about the decades. You can have any
    kind of decade you want to have. Currently a lot of people are talking
    about the 'aughties' (or noughties) which was the decade which just
    finished of the years starting with '0x', 2000-2009. I don't know what
    you call the decade 2010-2019. I understand about twenties thru'
    nineties. I'll have to go look that tensies/teensies thing up.

    > I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.


    Well, you can have more than one kind of century just like you can have
    more than one kind of decade. A century is 100 years. Group them up
    any way you like.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 4, 2010
    #6
  7. *Less*

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:01:27 -0600, *Less* wrote:

    > Happy new Year to everyone!
    >
    > I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000 I recall in
    > Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > *Less*


    Second decade starts next Jan 1.



    --
    Las autoridades sanitarias advierten:
    Fumar perjudica gravemente su salud
    y la de los que están a su alrededor
     
    Aardvark, Jan 4, 2010
    #7
  8. *Less*

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:01:27 -0600, *Less* wrote:

    > Happy new Year to everyone!
    >
    > I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000 I recall in
    > Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > *Less*


    Second decade starts next Jan 1.



    --
    Las autoridades sanitarias advierten:
    Fumar perjudica gravemente su salud
    y la de los que están a su alrededor
     
    Aardvark, Jan 4, 2010
    #8
  9. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message ..
    > *Less* wrote:
    >> Happy new Year to everyone!

    >
    > You are correct. Monday - today - is the first day of the ISO year
    > which is based on weeks which iso weeks start on Monday. 2009 had what
    > some people call a 'leap week' which is the 53rd week of the year. 2009
    > ran from 2008 Dec 29 to 2009 Jan 3, including the leap week.


    Hello Mike,
    Sorry I am not so familiar with the ISO Year, all I recall when I was
    working
    our paycheque was biweekly, and in certain Month not so often
    we were getting 3 Paycheques instead of two.

    >
    >> I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000

    >
    > It depends on how you want to talk about the decades. You can have any
    > kind of decade you want to have. Currently a lot of people are talking
    > about the 'aughties' (or noughties) which was the decade which just
    > finished of the years starting with '0x', 2000-2009. I don't know what
    > you call the decade 2010-2019. I understand about twenties thru'
    > nineties. I'll have to go look that tensies/teensies thing up.


    The way I see a Decade is a period of measure for Time in Years starting
    A.D. January 1st.
    Our present Calendar.
    Decade comes fron the Greek word "Dekade" meaning 10. "I am not Greek"
    2000 : by 10 =200.0 Decades, 2009 :by 10 =200.9 Decades, 2010 : by 10 =
    201.0 Decades.

    >
    >> I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.

    >
    > Well, you can have more than one kind of century just like you can have
    > more than one kind of decade. A century is 100 years. Group them up
    > any way you like.


    Yes I agree with You fully we can pick any period of time since A.D. day
    one, or before A.D.
    and use to mark Historical and Event Periods, in Decades, Centuries, or
    Millenniums.
    I wish we would be in the 1960sties and not in the 2010tennies that would
    make me
    feel younger.

    Nice to talk to You again,
    Thanks for sharing on the Subject.

    *Less*
    -
    > Mike Easter
     
    *Less*, Jan 4, 2010
    #9
  10. *Less*

    *Less* Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message ..
    > On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:01:27 -0600, *Less* wrote:
    >
    >> Happy new Year to everyone!
    >>
    >> I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000 I recall
    >> in
    >> Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> *Less*

    >
    > Second decade starts next Jan 1.



    I see it exactly the same way, some Media like to mess it up like the one
    here: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100102/world/us_twins_two_decades

    Yes the second Decade of the 21st Century will start Jan. 1st. 2011

    Thanks for sharing,

    *Less*


    > Las autoridades sanitarias advierten:
    > Fumar perjudica gravemente su salud
    > y la de los que están a su alrededor
     
    *Less*, Jan 4, 2010
    #10
  11. *Less*

    OG Guest

    "*Less*" <**> wrote in message
    news:1Sc0n.1464$...
    > Happy new Year to everyone!
    >
    > I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    > I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.
    >


    That may be true, but the 'noughties' included year 2000, just as the
    twenties will include 2020.
    The names of the decades don't overlap with the formal definition of "the
    X-th decade of the century".

    I'm not sure we really know how to name the decade between the 'noughties'
    and the 'twenties'.
     
    OG, Jan 4, 2010
    #11
  12. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    OG wrote:

    > I'm not sure we really know how to name the decade between the
    > 'noughties' and the 'twenties'.


    Apparently some have called it the 'teens' in the last century, but that
    doesn't seem like an accurate term to me - this year isn't a teen, next
    year won't be a teen, the year after that won't be a teen, according to
    our language.

    Maybe whatever turns up next will turn out to be worse than aughties or
    noughties.

    If we use some other language for the numbers (that works) then the
    discrepancy of the various languages for ten, eleven, and twelve won't
    be a problem.

    In Esperanto they all start with dek -- we could call 2010-2019 the
    'dekkies'. The Esperanto fans would love that.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 4, 2010
    #12
  13. philo wrote:

    > *Less* wrote:
    >> I think we are still in the first Decade after the Year 2000
    >> I recall in Jan.1/2000 some were claiming it 21st Century.

    >
    > I don't care WTF anyone says
    > but the year before the year ONE
    > was the year ZERO


    I think it was the year 1 BC. So there!

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 5, 2010
    #13
  14. *Less*

    philo Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 19:54:27 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think it was the year 1 BC. So there!

    >
    > So when people wrote checks back then, did they write BC on the
    > checks?


    I think so

    I bought some rare coins dated 455 BC
     
    philo, Jan 5, 2010
    #14
  15. philo wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> I think it was the year 1 BC. So there!

    >>
    >> So when people wrote checks back then, did they write BC on the
    >> checks?

    >
    > I think so


    No, they didn't have to write the date. Checks were pre-chiseled then.

    > I bought some rare coins dated 455 BC


    I was born in 29 BC. I'd show you my birth certificate, but the papyrus
    is too crumbly to scan.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 5, 2010
    #15
  16. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:

    > I don't care WTF anyone says
    >
    > but the year before the year ONE
    >
    >
    > was the year ZERO


    The Anno Domini system of numbering the years started in the 6th
    century, so during all of those hundreds of years (before that AD
    system), including the 'theoretical' or arbitrary year one, that
    numbering system didn't exist.

    So, the transition went from such as the Diocletian year of 247 to the
    Anno Domini year of 532.

    There have been a lot of calendar reforms since 532 AD, which time was
    using the Julian calendar, such as the signficant Gregorian calendar
    which was adopted by various countries at different times spanning from
    the 16th century to the 20th century.

    Those various calendar reforms didn't (arbitrarily) create a year zero
    either, and the calendars which existed before then didn't even do zero,
    nor did a lot of number systems of those ages.

    Think of Roman numerals if it helps. How would you write the year zero?


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2010
    #16
  17. *Less*

    philo Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> I don't care WTF anyone says
    >>
    >> but the year before the year ONE
    >>
    >>
    >> was the year ZERO

    >
    > The Anno Domini system of numbering the years started in the 6th
    > century, so during all of those hundreds of years (before that AD
    > system), including the 'theoretical' or arbitrary year one, that
    > numbering system didn't exist.
    >
    > So, the transition went from such as the Diocletian year of 247 to the
    > Anno Domini year of 532.
    >
    > There have been a lot of calendar reforms since 532 AD, which time was
    > using the Julian calendar, such as the signficant Gregorian calendar
    > which was adopted by various countries at different times spanning from
    > the 16th century to the 20th century.
    >
    > Those various calendar reforms didn't (arbitrarily) create a year zero
    > either, and the calendars which existed before then didn't even do zero,
    > nor did a lot of number systems of those ages.
    >
    > Think of Roman numerals if it helps. How would you write the year zero?
    >
    >


    The inability of a numbering system to express the zeroth year is not
    evidence that it did not exist.

    How would one express "pi" in Roman Numerals?
     
    philo, Jan 5, 2010
    #17
  18. *Less*

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:36:18 -0600, philo wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't care WTF anyone says
    >>>
    >>> but the year before the year ONE
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> was the year ZERO

    >>
    >> The Anno Domini system of numbering the years started in the 6th
    >> century, so during all of those hundreds of years (before that AD
    >> system), including the 'theoretical' or arbitrary year one, that
    >> numbering system didn't exist.
    >>
    >> So, the transition went from such as the Diocletian year of 247 to the
    >> Anno Domini year of 532.
    >>
    >> There have been a lot of calendar reforms since 532 AD, which time was
    >> using the Julian calendar, such as the signficant Gregorian calendar
    >> which was adopted by various countries at different times spanning from
    >> the 16th century to the 20th century.
    >>
    >> Those various calendar reforms didn't (arbitrarily) create a year zero
    >> either, and the calendars which existed before then didn't even do
    >> zero, nor did a lot of number systems of those ages.
    >>
    >> Think of Roman numerals if it helps. How would you write the year
    >> zero?
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > The inability of a numbering system to express the zeroth year is not
    > evidence that it did not exist.
    >
    > How would one express "pi" in Roman Numerals?


    XXII/VII ?



    --
    Las autoridades sanitarias advierten:
    Fumar perjudica gravemente su salud
    y la de los que están a su alrededor
     
    Aardvark, Jan 5, 2010
    #18
  19. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I don't care WTF anyone says
    >>>
    >>> but the year before the year ONE
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> was the year ZERO

    >>
    >> The Anno Domini system


    >> Those various calendar reforms didn't (arbitrarily) create a year zero
    >> either,


    > The inability of a numbering system to express the zeroth year is not
    > evidence that it did not exist.
    >
    > How would one express "pi" in Roman Numerals?


    We could do it pictorially/graphically. Draw a circle with a diameter
    and label the diameter I and label the circumference with the pi symbol.


    OTOH, putting on my pro-year-zero hat...

    The most modern calendar standard 'reform' is the ISO 8601 system,
    specifically ISO 8601:2004, which is a standard I favor. Among other
    things it specifies that Jan 4 be written 2010.01.04, which is a logical
    construction.

    The ISO 8601:2400 system says that there is a year zero, and so do a few
    other calendar systems.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2010
    #19
  20. *Less*

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jan 4 be written 2010.01.04,


    Oops. I meant to say 2010-01-04

    I got my punctuation wrong.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 5, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    381
    DVD Verdict
    Sep 24, 2003
  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    RSA: 256 Bits Per Decade

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 8, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,085
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jan 8, 2010
  3. Mr. Strat

    Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

    Mr. Strat, May 14, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    38
    Views:
    977
    nospam
    May 18, 2010
  4. nospam

    Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

    nospam, May 14, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    301
    Ray Fischer
    May 15, 2010
  5. SMS

    Re: Steve Jobs: Funniest line of the decade

    SMS, May 16, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    591
    nospam
    May 17, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page