Which database has the most horsepower?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knowledge, May 1, 2008.

  1. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Hi,

    I have two databases that I can use at my discretion. One of them is
    Microsoft Access 2007.

    The other is Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.1

    Which one has the most horsepower?

    "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of
    God"

    http://clyde.buildlastingsuccess.com

    P.S. I have been on 64 bit vista Ultimate for five or six months now,
    and it has been a very smooth trip so far. The only thing I can't find
    is some Adobe Acrobat plugin, Java, or ActiveX . A few radio stations,
    or other websites won't work because some of the content is missing.

    I try different browsers until I find one that works, or I just reboot
    into 32 bit mode for a while if it is necessary.

    So I can assure you there is nothing to fear about 64 bit processing.
    It is much faster, and more stabile. If your computer will handle it,
    don't bother with 32 bit software.

    With warmest regards, love and affection for you all; even the dull
    and ignorant. They too have a story to tell. :)

    Knowledge
    Knowledge, May 1, 2008

  2. Knowledge

    Snit Guest

    "Knowledge" <> stated in post
    on 5/1/08 3:27 PM:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two databases that I can use at my discretion. One of them is
    > Microsoft Access 2007.
    >
    > The other is Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.1
    >
    > Which one has the most horsepower?

    What is it you are trying to do with a database? FileMaker Pro does not have
    as robust of a database engine but is generally much easier to use.

    --
    Prescott Computer Guy: Michael Glasser
    http://prescottcomputerguy.org
    Snit, May 1, 2008

  3. Knowledge

    Snit Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> stated in post
    on 5/1/08 4:04 PM:

    > Knowledge wrote:
    >> I have two databases that I can use at my discretion. One of them is
    >> Microsoft Access 2007.
    >>
    >> The other is Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.1
    >>
    >> Which one has the most horsepower?

    > According to filemaker^1, filemaker does
    >
    > Criteria - Filemaker Pro9 -- MS Access 2007
    >
    > Database Capacity - 8 terabyte capacity 8 terabyte limit per
    > database**. Fields can hold 2GB of data. -- 2 gigabyte capacity2GB limit
    > per database. Text fields hold 255 characters, memo fields hold 65,535
    > characters.
    >
    > Scalability - Supports individual to large workgroups FileMaker Pro
    > supports up to 9 simultaneous users, and FileMaker Server handles up to
    > 250 users. -- Supports small workgroups User may experience less than
    > optimal performance with 20 or more users. No Access server available.
    >
    > ^1 http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/comparison_fm_access.pdf
    > FileMaker and Microsoft Access: - A Criteria-Based Comparison
    >
    > Some other comparisons I saw were not the same generation, ie filemaker
    > 8 and older access.

    Overall I would say that is a good run down of the differences... FM Pro is
    easier to use but Access allows you to have more complex data models and
    more complex scripts (not just complex to make, they can do more). FM Pro
    also has a better security model and really easy web publishing
    capabilities.

    Snit, May 2, 2008
  4. Knowledge

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:27:24 -0500, Knowledge wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two databases that I can use at my discretion. One of them is
    > Microsoft Access 2007.
    >
    > The other is Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.1
    >
    > Which one has the most horsepower?
    >

    > "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of
    > God"
    >
    > http://clyde.buildlastingsuccess.com
    >

    > P.S. I have been on 64 bit vista Ultimate for five or six months now,
    > and it has been a very smooth trip so far. The only thing I can't find
    > is some Adobe Acrobat plugin, Java, or ActiveX . A few radio stations,
    > or other websites won't work because some of the content is missing.
    >
    > I try different browsers until I find one that works, or I just reboot
    > into 32 bit mode for a while if it is necessary.
    >
    > So I can assure you there is nothing to fear about 64 bit processing. It
    > is much faster, and more stabile. If your computer will handle it, don't
    > bother with 32 bit software.
    >
    > With warmest regards, love and affection for you all; even the dull and
    > ignorant. They too have a story to tell. :)
    >
    > Knowledge

    Have you tried a Citreon 2CV????

    Enough horsepower to carry a farmer, his wife and a bag of spuds across a
    ploughed field.

    Just a suggestion.

    HTH HAND

    --
    Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
    http://www.liverpool08.com
    Aardvark, May 2, 2008
  5. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Knowledge" wrote in <news:>:

    > I have two databases that I can use at my discretion. One of them is
    > Microsoft Access 2007. The other is Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.1 Which
    > one has the most horsepower?

    For what? For which looks good on your resume, maybe?

    > "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of
    > God"

    Stick the off-topic fluff in your signature, not in your post.
    <snip>
    VanguardLH, May 2, 2008
  6. Knowledge

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:07:56 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Blessed are the peacemakers

    What did he say?? Cheesemakers?????

    Aardvark, May 2, 2008
  7. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Aardvark" wrote in <news:06uSj.92738$>:

    > On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:07:56 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Blessed are the peacemakers

    > What did he say?? Cheesemakers?????

    Maybe it was "piecemakers" (you know, pimps).
    VanguardLH, May 2, 2008
  8. Knowledge

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:48:26 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > "Aardvark" wrote in <news:06uSj.92738$>:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:07:56 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    >>
    >>> Blessed are the peacemakers

    >> What did he say?? Cheesemakers?????

    > Maybe it was "piecemakers" (you know, pimps).

    Haven't you ever seen 'The Life of Brian'? Recommended watching.
    Otherwise 9.8 for humour.

    Aardvark, May 2, 2008
  9. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    On Fri, 02 May 2008 01:53:17 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:48:26 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> What did he say?? Cheesemakers?????

    >> Maybe it was "piecemakers" (you know, pimps).

    >Haven't you ever seen 'The Life of Brian'? Recommended watching.
    >Otherwise 9.8 for humour.

    I have an extremely large personal address book that I need to place
    in a database. It will probably take up at least 8 terabytes of space.

    It is like 3,000 to 4,000 records

    I'm very familiar with the Citroen. it is the French version of the
    Mercedes Benz. it is an odd looking car, but very very comfortable.

    I drove them all the time when I lived in Northern italy.

    http://www.jaycronen.com/vehicles/images/jpg/citroen-full.jpg

    "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness,

    for they will be filled."

    RW J.W.
    Knowledge, May 2, 2008
  10. Knowledge

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 21:16:41 -0500, Knowledge wrote:

    > I have an extremely large personal address book that I need to place in
    > a database. It will probably take up at least 8 terabytes of space.

    Give me a ring sometime mate.

    Aardvark, May 2, 2008