which country carries the best prices on digital cameras?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Apkesh, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Apkesh

    Apkesh Guest

    Hi, for those well traveled-
    Can you tell me which country carries the best deals on newer model
    digital SLRs? From what I've seen, you can get some great deals in
    Singapore, Hong Kong (you have to be a bit careful here, as sellers
    carry a lot of 'gray market' goods, which carry no warranty), and
    Dubai. Also, is there one online site one recommend other than ebay?

    thanks.
    apkesh
     
    Apkesh, Mar 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Apkesh

    sheebie Guest

    On 5 Mar 2004 10:36:17 -0800, (Apkesh) wrote:

    >Hi, for those well traveled-
    >Can you tell me which country carries the best deals on newer model
    >digital SLRs? From what I've seen, you can get some great deals in
    >Singapore, Hong Kong (you have to be a bit careful here, as sellers
    >carry a lot of 'gray market' goods, which carry no warranty), and
    >Dubai. Also, is there one online site one recommend other than ebay?
    >
    >thanks.
    >apkesh


    The list price of the Rebel (kit) in Singapore is US$1180, street
    price a week ago was US$1080 for cash payment (not credit card). Full
    warranty, not gray market.

    I don't know Hong Kong prices, but they're usually around the same as
    Singapore.

    I think these are slightly higher than the US?

    - Sheebie
     
    sheebie, Mar 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Apkesh

    Paul J Gans Guest

    sheebie <> wrote:
    >On 5 Mar 2004 10:36:17 -0800, (Apkesh) wrote:


    >>Hi, for those well traveled-
    >>Can you tell me which country carries the best deals on newer model
    >>digital SLRs? From what I've seen, you can get some great deals in
    >>Singapore, Hong Kong (you have to be a bit careful here, as sellers
    >>carry a lot of 'gray market' goods, which carry no warranty), and
    >>Dubai. Also, is there one online site one recommend other than ebay?
    >>
    >>thanks.
    >>apkesh


    >The list price of the Rebel (kit) in Singapore is US$1180, street
    >price a week ago was US$1080 for cash payment (not credit card). Full
    >warranty, not gray market.


    >I don't know Hong Kong prices, but they're usually around the same as
    >Singapore.


    >I think these are slightly higher than the US?


    >- Sheebie


    $999 at B&H with the 18-55 mm lens. $899 without lens.

    ==== Paul J. Gans
     
    Paul J Gans, Mar 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Apkesh

    Dylan Guest

    Also depends where you come from, with $1.9 = £1 the US is cheap from the
    UK.

    "Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    news:c2bl6h$g4h$...
    > sheebie <> wrote:
    > >On 5 Mar 2004 10:36:17 -0800, (Apkesh) wrote:

    >
    > >>Hi, for those well traveled-
    > >>Can you tell me which country carries the best deals on newer model
    > >>digital SLRs? From what I've seen, you can get some great deals in
    > >>Singapore, Hong Kong (you have to be a bit careful here, as sellers
    > >>carry a lot of 'gray market' goods, which carry no warranty), and
    > >>Dubai. Also, is there one online site one recommend other than ebay?
    > >>
    > >>thanks.
    > >>apkesh

    >
    > >The list price of the Rebel (kit) in Singapore is US$1180, street
    > >price a week ago was US$1080 for cash payment (not credit card). Full
    > >warranty, not gray market.

    >
    > >I don't know Hong Kong prices, but they're usually around the same as
    > >Singapore.

    >
    > >I think these are slightly higher than the US?

    >
    > >- Sheebie

    >
    > $999 at B&H with the 18-55 mm lens. $899 without lens.
    >
    > ==== Paul J. Gans
    >
     
    Dylan, Mar 6, 2004
    #4
  5. Apkesh

    sheebie Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:42:51 -0000, "Dylan" <> wrote:

    >Also depends where you come from, with $1.9 = £1 the US is cheap from the
    >UK.
    >


    Definitely.

    I would guess that the answer to the OP on which country has the
    cheapest digital SLR's is probably "USA".

    Places like Singapore tend to be cheap for lower-end, mass-market
    electronics, but not for something like this. We just don't have a big
    enough market to get really competitive pricing.

    However, the kit price of US$1180 I gave included GST (VAT) of 5%,
    which an overseas buyer would be able to claim back (less handling
    costs), so it's not quite so far away from the US prices.

    - Sheebie
     
    sheebie, Mar 6, 2004
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BoBi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    352
  2. BoBi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    300
  3. BoBi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    377
  4. BoBi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    310
  5. BoBi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    302
Loading...

Share This Page