    Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?

    Thanks for help
    Alex

    AlexZ, Sep 21, 2003

  2. AlexZ

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, you won`t get any noticable speed difference within the camera - but you
    may notice faster upload/download times to PC with faster memory cards -
    I`ve used Lexar Media CF Cards in both Canon A40 & Canon A70 and they are
    quicker than the Sandisk which came with the Cameras - I would recommend you
    get a 256Mb CF Card if you intend to shoot at Large & Superefine Image
    Size/Compression. There are good deals on Ebay which are typically 1/3 of
    retail price if you play your cards right. Haven`t had any problems related
    to Lexar CF Cards either, regards, Zol.

    Zol., Sep 21, 2003

  3. AlexZ

    DH Guest

    In article <>,
    (AlexZ) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
    > to look for when choosing one.
    >
    > First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
    > speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
    >
    > I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
    > Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
    >
    > Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
    >
    > Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
    >
    > Thanks for help
    > Alex

    Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
    speed is not an issue for your camera.

    DH, Sep 21, 2003
  4. AlexZ

    AlexZ Guest

    DH <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (AlexZ) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
    > > to look for when choosing one.
    > >
    > > First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
    > > speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
    > >
    > > I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local shops.
    > > Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
    > >
    > > Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
    > >
    > > Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
    > >
    > > Thanks for help
    > > Alex

    > Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
    > speed is not an issue for your camera.

    Thanks for your advice. Now that the speed is not so important, are there
    particular brands, which are known to cause trouble? Can I just go and buy
    the cheapest card out there?

    Alex

    AlexZ, Sep 22, 2003
  5. AlexZ

    DH Guest

    In article <>,
    (AlexZ) wrote:

    > DH <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > (AlexZ) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I'm going to buy a 128 CF card for my new Canon A70, and not sure what
    > > > to look for when choosing one.
    > > >
    > > > First, should I look for 'high speed' cards? Is there info on the max
    > > > speed that Canon A70 can read/write to card at?
    > > >
    > > > I have a choice between SanDisk, Pretec, PQI, Delkin eFilm in local
    > > > shops.
    > > > Most of them do not have the speed specification at all.
    > > >
    > > > Is guarantee important? What min term is reasonable?
    > > >
    > > > Is it worth paying 30% more for the same brand card marked '40x speed'?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for help
    > > > Alex

    > > Dealcatcher.com has some nice deals listed on compact flash, memory
    > > speed is not an issue for your camera.

    > Thanks for your advice. Now that the speed is not so important, are there
    > particular brands, which are known to cause trouble? Can I just go and buy
    > the cheapest card out there?
    >
    > Alex

    I would stick with the major brands - Viking, Simple Tech, Sandisk,
    Kingston, etc. I've had very good look with my Kingston and Simple Tech
    cards.

    From Dealcather.com:

    Featured Amazon.com Coupon SimpleTech SmartMedia 128MB $26.99 -
    Discuss (1) - Added: 09/19
    Compatible with thousands of digital cameras, MP3 players and handhelds.
    Price is $36.99 with a $10 mail-in rebate. This item qualifies for free
    shipping. [ Rebate ]
    Expires: Unknown
    All coupons for Amazon.com - Tell a Friend

    DH, Sep 22, 2003
  6. AlexZ

    Rich Guest

    "DH" <> wrote in

    > I would stick with the major brands - Viking, Simple Tech, Sandisk,
    > Kingston, etc. I've had very good look with my Kingston and Simple

    Tech
    > cards.

    Kingston has good TS and customer service. I prefer them. Have the
    A70 and 2 Kingston 256mb modules. Kingston has rebates all the time,
    even when you buy directly from them.

    Viking I could not find. So I avoid them. They seem to sell via
    Amazon.

    Rich

    Rich, Sep 22, 2003
  7. > Can I just go and buy
    > the cheapest card out there?
    >
    > Alex

    There's a really good price on the 512 Viking right now. Look over this site:

    http://www.techbargains.com/

    Robert A. Barr, Sep 22, 2003
  8. AlexZ

    Mike P Guest

    I'm using a Kingston 256mb, works great, better than the 16mb card that came
    with the A70.

    Mike

    Mike P, Sep 23, 2003