    with the body, to make an informed choice.

    Help gratefully received!!

    J;

    Jeremy, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Jeremy

    [BnH] Guest

    The 2nd option is not really a far lesser quality.
    If you stop them at around f/8 .. those two lens performed quite the same.

    18-70 DX lens has problem around 18-20 mm [ barrel + soft corner ] , hence
    the efective range is approx 20-70 ~ 30-105mm in 35mm equivalent range.

    IMO ... grab the 1st option and buy yourself the 70-300 G later on.
    the AF-S on 18-70 DX is just nice to have :p
    I am now using the 18-70 DX for fun snaps , replacing my 28-105 lens ....
    and deploy my 80-200 /2.8 when I am doing some outdoor potraits.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Oct 22, 2004

  3. Jeremy

    Gadgets Guest

    If you're shortest lens is 28, you'll wish you had the 18 (as mentioned,
    better at 20mm+)... the 70-300 is very slow focussing and focus changes over
    zoom, so a bit painful for sports. If you can afford it, maybe look at the
    80-200 2.8 down the track (about four times the price of the 70-300!). A
    12-24 would be nice too eh?

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Jeremy

    Fred B. Guest

    I much prefer my 28-105 Nikkor afd over my 18-70g. Slightly sharper, longer
    range, and much better macro performance.

    Fred B., Oct 23, 2004