    Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    capacity?

    quess who, Oct 20, 2006

  2. quess who

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "quess who" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    >I have a collection of AA NI-MH batteries of various mA ratings. 1850,
    > 2000, 2300, 2500 and I am thinking of getting some Maha Powerex
    > 2700mA.
    >
    > The chargers I have are made by Energizer(15min charger), PowerMart (1
    > hr charger), and an old Radio Shack 1hr charger.
    >
    > Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    > result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    > capacity?

    Some chargers require you to charge the batteries in pairs, you want to
    avoid those. Find a smart charger that will monitor each cell's state of
    charge.

    Try to make up matched sets of batteries for your camera. Keep the matched
    sets together.

    NiMH do self discharge to some degreee, reportedly some are worse than
    others.

    Rudy Benner, Oct 20, 2006

  3. quess who

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:13:44 GMT, quess who wrote:

    > I have a collection of AA NI-MH batteries of various mA ratings. 1850,
    > 2000, 2300, 2500 and I am thinking of getting some Maha Powerex
    > 2700mA.
    >
    > The chargers I have are made by Energizer(15min charger), PowerMart (1
    > hr charger), and an old Radio Shack 1hr charger.
    >
    > Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    > result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    > capacity?

    Your chargers should all work properly for all of these batteries
    with one exception. If any of the chargers has a protective
    time-out circuit, the highest capacity batteries, if fully
    discharged *might* trigger the time-out before they're fully
    charged. But this is pretty unlikely, as most of the cut off times
    I've seen have been well beyond the time it would take to charge
    batteries. When you get the 2,700 mAh batteries, monitor how long
    it takes to charge them when they're fully depleted. It should take
    slightly longer than when the same test is performed with your 2,500
    and 2,300 mAh batteries. If it takes significantly longer (say 40%
    longer), then your old batteries have lost a lot of capacity and you
    might want to use them for radios or something, but not in your
    camera, unless you tend to take a fairly small number of pictures
    whenever you use your camera.

    ASAAR, Oct 20, 2006
  4. quess who

    wilt Guest

    On Oct 19, 5:13 pm, quess who <> wrote:
    > I have a collection of AA NI-MH batteries of various mA ratings. 1850,
    > 2000, 2300, 2500 and I am thinking of getting some Maha Powerex
    > 2700mA.
    >
    > The chargers I have are made by Energizer(15min charger), PowerMart (1
    > hr charger), and an old Radio Shack 1hr charger.
    >
    > Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    > result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    > capacity?

    One 'danger' is whether or not the charger inputs electricity at too
    rapid a rate for the batteries to accept. Some batteries must be
    charged at a lower rate unless they are designed for rapid charging.

    Another issue is if the charger is optimized for the chemistry of the
    battery...Chargers for NiCad have different operating characteristics
    and charge characteristics than chargers for NiMH batteries.

    wilt, Oct 20, 2006
  5. quess who

    Dave Cohen Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:13:44 GMT, quess who wrote:
    >
    >> I have a collection of AA NI-MH batteries of various mA ratings. 1850,
    >> 2000, 2300, 2500 and I am thinking of getting some Maha Powerex
    >> 2700mA.
    >>
    >> The chargers I have are made by Energizer(15min charger), PowerMart (1
    >> hr charger), and an old Radio Shack 1hr charger.
    >>
    >> Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    >> result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    >> capacity?

    > Your chargers should all work properly for all of these batteries
    > with one exception. If any of the chargers has a protective
    > time-out circuit, the highest capacity batteries, if fully
    > discharged *might* trigger the time-out before they're fully
    > charged. But this is pretty unlikely, as most of the cut off times
    > I've seen have been well beyond the time it would take to charge
    > batteries. When you get the 2,700 mAh batteries, monitor how long
    > it takes to charge them when they're fully depleted. It should take
    > slightly longer than when the same test is performed with your 2,500
    > and 2,300 mAh batteries. If it takes significantly longer (say 40%
    > longer), then your old batteries have lost a lot of capacity and you
    > might want to use them for radios or something, but not in your
    > camera, unless you tend to take a fairly small number of pictures
    > whenever you use your camera.

    My first purchase was an inexpensive smart charger that came with 4
    cells, charges 2 or 4 at a time. These work well, but I upgraded to this.
    Before postage, this one at less than $23
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html
    is a bargain, although not so much so when postage is added. It seems to
    work well, shows charging progress and will charge 1 to 4 cells. I would
    be wary of the 15 minute charger on cells other than those for which it
    is designed, just keep an eye on how hot the cells get.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 20, 2006
  6. quess who

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "wilt" <> wrote:

    > On Oct 19, 5:13 pm, quess who <> wrote:
    > > I have a collection of AA NI-MH batteries of various mA ratings. 1850,
    > > 2000, 2300, 2500 and I am thinking of getting some Maha Powerex
    > > 2700mA.
    > >
    > > The chargers I have are made by Energizer(15min charger), PowerMart (1
    > > hr charger), and an old Radio Shack 1hr charger.
    > >
    > > Can I use the same charger for all of these amperages with the end
    > > result that they will all be charged to their individual maximum
    > > capacity?

    > One 'danger' is whether or not the charger inputs electricity at too
    > rapid a rate for the batteries to accept. Some batteries must be
    > charged at a lower rate unless they are designed for rapid charging.
    >
    > Another issue is if the charger is optimized for the chemistry of the
    > battery...Chargers for NiCad have different operating characteristics
    > and charge characteristics than chargers for NiMH batteries.

    No. The real danger is are the cells you use designed for fast charging?
    If they aren't they can't vent the gasses built up during charging and
    then can explode or catch on fire.

    Recent quality NiMh cells will be marked that they are safe for rapid or
    fast charging.

    As a general rule of thumb, any real cell with a capacity of 2000 mAh or
    more (not simply re-labled cells where the higher capacity exists only
    on the printing on the label, can be safely fast or rapid charged.

    Smaller cells will have a problem with fast charging. This includes
    cells that are simply relabeled with a high capacity.

    If your cell or its package is not labeled for fast or rapid charge
    don''t fast or rapid charge them.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Oct 20, 2006
  7. quess who

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:08:43 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > My first purchase was an inexpensive smart charger that came with 4
    > cells, charges 2 or 4 at a time. These work well, but I upgraded to this.
    > Before postage, this one at less than $23
    > http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html
    > is a bargain, although not so much so when postage is added. It seems to
    > work well, shows charging progress and will charge 1 to 4 cells. I would
    > be wary of the 15 minute charger on cells other than those for which it
    > is designed, just keep an eye on how hot the cells get.

    I almost always recommend smart chargers that can charge any
    number of, or combination of cell types. In this case I didn't,
    because the OP asked a fairly specific question that had nothing to
    do with whether a charger is limited to charging pairs of cells or
    not. But it's a good point to remember. One other problem those 15
    minute chargers may create is related to the heat they produce.
    I've seen that in some electrical devices that don't have a lot of
    tolerance in their battery compartments that some batteries are a
    bit too fat to remove easily if they have to slide in where fingers
    can't grab them. This has never been a problem with alkaline
    batteries. It is a problem with NiMH cells, where removal can
    sometimes be difficult. As far as I'm aware, it has also never been
    a problem with new NiMH cells, so something is making them obese,
    and I suspect that the more times they're charged, the fatter they
    get. Just guessing, but I'd assume that the chargers that heat the
    batteries the most would be the guiltiest culprits.

    ASAAR, Oct 20, 2006
  8. quess who

    quess who Guest

    Thanks to all who responded. My question was answered very well.

    quess who, Oct 22, 2006