    network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
    channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?

    Thanks for your advice.
    Bill Steiner, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Bill Steiner

    WLW Guest

    If they are all on the same network then they should all use the same
    channel and an identical SSID.

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    WLW, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Bill Steiner

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    In general it is probably better to use the same SSID, but different
    channels.

    However, It is hard to give a definite answer it depends on how the system
    is used, what are the roaming patterns, and whether you use WZC or something
    else.

    Under certain circumstances using different channels or and SSID might be
    better.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 24, 2005
  4. Bill Steiner

    Bill Steiner Guest

    I don't use any WZC, I only use MAC addresses for security. One of the AP's
    is pointed at my brother in laws house 4 doors down the street and another
    is omni directional for use at the beach, both are located on the roof. The
    last AP is used on the second level of the house for a PC that is down
    there. The house is four stories made of concrete with heavy steel
    reinforcing.

    Bill Steiner, Mar 24, 2005
  5. Bill Steiner

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    I would put the connection to your brother on Channel 1 with its own SSID,
    and the rest on channel 11 with the same SSID.
    As for security, it is your call, but I think that at least the two external
    connections has to be more secure.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 24, 2005
  6. Bill Steiner

    Bill Steiner Guest

    Thanks, I will do that. Since I am in southern Brasil and don't really have
    any neighbors that have computers I am not too worried about strong
    security. When we get more people in the area I will implement stronger
    security.

    Thank you again for your kind assistance.

    Bill Steiner, Mar 24, 2005
  7. Bill Steiner

    GuitarMan Guest

    "WLW" <> wrote in message
    > If they are all on the same network then they should all use the same
    > channel and an identical SSID.
    >
    > --
    > William L. Whipple
    > WWW.EZine.Com

    I've heard of using the same SSID, but I've also heard using the same
    channel on all the router/AP devices causes problems... any links anywhere
    that can point out whether to use the same channel or not the same channel
    anywhere?
    GuitarMan, Mar 24, 2005
  8. Bill Steiner

    WLW Guest

    If the devices are on the same wireless network, i.e.. using the same SSID,
    then they will be using the same channel. They need to use the same channel
    to talk to each other.

    If you are running multiple wireless networks, i.e.. more than one SSID,
    then they should be on different channels so that they do not interfere with
    each other.

    Channel is essentially equal to Frequency. Most wireless devices only
    operate on one frequency at a time. When you ask for "Available Networks"
    the device scans across all channels one at a time looking for SSIDs. Then
    when you connect to a network, it selects the channel that SSID was
    broadcast on.

    Usually the only reason to switch channels is if the channel you are on is
    already in use by another wireless network or by another digital wireless
    device like a wireless phone, or if there is interference on that channel
    from something like a microwave oven, electric motor or other electronic
    device.

    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com