    should be sufficient for what im doing.
    Im somewhat undecided about whether to go for the i-Net+ or the Net+ cert.
    Any thoughts welcomed.

    Mike, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Mike

    John Dearing Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > I have been operating my own PC repair business for about 4 years now, and
    > had studied for the A+ cert about 3 years ago. I know things have changed a
    > lot since then as far as the testing goes and im wondering if its
    > recommended to take a course for A+ somewhere or if self study is still a
    > viable option.

    Since you already have 4 years of "hands-on" experience, I rather doubt
    that you have all that much more to add to be ready for the 2003 A+ exam
    objectives.

    > I should mention that i find it much easier to apply myself in a classroom
    > and would not be as disciplined to do it at home. I have looked at online
    > courses for A+ and Net+, but im wondering if i would fall into the same
    > discipline and distraction issues of being at home.
    >
    > Im thinking of going for my A+, i-Net+ or Net+, and MCP certifications as
    > proof of competency for certain clients and for trying to obtain contract
    > jobs.
    > I do mostly residential service, upgrades, home networking and some custom
    > PC builds. So im thinking maybe the i-Net+ along with the A+ and MCP certs
    > should be sufficient for what im doing.
    > Im somewhat undecided about whether to go for the i-Net+ or the Net+ cert.
    > Any thoughts welcomed.

    Not to denigrate the i-Net+ certification, but an A+ and either Net+ or
    Server+ will be accepted by Microsoft toward an MCSA certification.

    Server+ is heavy duty on hardware and "best practice" administration
    practices. Unless you have the experience, Server+ can be a very
    challenging exam.

    Check out the Comptia and Microsoft websites for more information.

    Cheers!

    John
    --
    John Dearing