    I didn't find anything like that by google.

    Thanks for any help
    Maik

    Maik Wiege, Jul 18, 2005

  2. I prefer GeoTrust. They are relatively inexpensive and have never had a
    major issue with their certs. I hear that GoDaddy is inexpensive, too.
    ....but I have not used them.

    Yes, you could definitely self-sign a cert.

    Note that you may get more responses if you post to
    microsoft.public.security.

    --
    Bob Christian II
    http://blogspot.bobchristian.com - Blog

    Bob Christian, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Maik Wiege

    fjkdsale9 Guest

    Why not ask Verisign or any of the other huge commercial CA's if they have
    that info?

    fjkdsale9, Jul 28, 2005
  4. Maik Wiege <mswiege*nospam*@gmx.de> writes:
    > Is there a table or some kind of overview of the certification
    > authorities that are preinstalled in all browsers. There are so
    > many available and of course I want to sign my certificate by an ca
    > that is preinstalled in many browser as possible, otherwise I could
    > sign it by myself. :) And I could that way do some price
    > comparement.

    here is old look we did some time ago on the subject:
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay4.htm#comcert14 Merchant Comfort Certificates
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay4.htm#comcert16 Merchant Comfort Certificates

    we were asked to consult with this small client/server startup in
    menlo park on doing payment transactions and something called a
    payment gateway. in the year we worked with them, they moved from
    menlo park to mountain view and changed their name from mosaic to
    netscape ... and work is frequently now called e-commerce
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn2
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm5.htm#asrn3

    as part of the effort, we had to go around and sort of audit several
    of the major organizations issuing these things called ssl domain name
    certificates.
    http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subpubkey.html#sslcert

    the basic technology is that public keys are filed in trusted public
    key repositories. in infrastructures like pgp ... this frequently is
    done by individuals with respect to other individuals they know.

    in the case of the SSL domain name certificates ... certification
    authority root public keys were pre-installed into trusted public key
    repository built into the browser software before it was distributed.

    these certification authority root public keys can be used for
    directly signing customer digital certificates .... or, in some cases,
    they may be used for signing other organization digital certificates
    containing their own unique public keys.

    in a standard PKI trust hierarchy ... the root public key may be used
    for signing subsidiary certificates containing subsidiary public keys
    .... and then the subsidiary public keys are used for directly signing
    general digital certifictaes.

    as a result ... you may find a ca that has a root public key
    pre-installed in large number of different browsers ... but it is one
    of the organization's subsidiary public keys that might be signing
    your specific digital certificate.

    Anne & Lynn Wheeler, Jul 28, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Anne & Lynn Wheeler <> wrote:

    >these certification authority root public keys can be used for
    >directly signing customer digital certificates .... or, in some cases,
    >they may be used for signing other organization digital certificates
    >containing their own unique public keys.
    >
    >in a standard PKI trust hierarchy ... the root public key may be used
    >for signing subsidiary certificates containing subsidiary public keys
    >... and then the subsidiary public keys are used for directly signing
    >general digital certifictaes.
    >
    >as a result ... you may find a ca that has a root public key
    >pre-installed in large number of different browsers ... but it is one
    >of the organization's subsidiary public keys that might be signing
    >your specific digital certificate.

    And you have to remember to include the subsidiary CA's certificate
    along with your own (e.g. via the "SSLCACertificateFile" directive in
    Apache), otherwise your certificate might not be recognized.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 1, 2005