Which cert to go for?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Hitchhiker90, Jan 5, 2009.

  1. Hitchhiker90

    Hitchhiker90 Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    I tried looking briefly to see if this question has been asked before but
    didn't see it on the first two pages so I'm going to ask it here. A little
    about me first... I'm an IT professional with years of experience. I've been
    doing helpdesk support at my current job for almost 5 years now. I'd like to
    get Microsoft certified just to keep up with technology and help with a
    resume should I ever need to create one.

    That being said I'm now interested in getting some type of helpdesk
    certification. I was looking at the MCDST 70-271 and 70-272 and I have the
    training book for the 271 exam but I'm worried about the book and exam being
    outdated or retired soon. As well as Vista being here and Windows 7 on its
    way is also some concern about getting an XP cert.

    I was also looking at doing the MCITP Support Technician (70-623 or 70-622).
    This is a Vista based cert. Again, with Windows 7 coming out I'm not sure
    if its a good choice of action or not.

    So the big question is, which cert should I go for?
    --
    A+, N+, HDI SCA, Internetwork Cert, former CCNA && CCDA

    Hitchhiker90, Jan 5, 2009

  2. "Hitchhiker90" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > I tried looking briefly to see if this question has been asked before but
    > didn't see it on the first two pages so I'm going to ask it here. A little
    > about me first... I'm an IT professional with years of experience. I've
    > been
    > doing helpdesk support at my current job for almost 5 years now. I'd like
    > get Microsoft certified just to keep up with technology and help with a
    > resume should I ever need to create one.
    >
    > That being said I'm now interested in getting some type of helpdesk
    > certification. I was looking at the MCDST 70-271 and 70-272 and I have
    > the
    > training book for the 271 exam but I'm worried about the book and exam
    > being
    > outdated or retired soon. As well as Vista being here and Windows 7 on its
    > way is also some concern about getting an XP cert.

    It's likely that Windows XP will continue to be a corporate product for many
    years into the future (there are still organizations with Windows 2000 Pro
    deployed!) -- unless there's a miraculous mass conversion from XP to Windows
    7 next year. Being that the purpose of the certification is to document
    experience, and you have it, there's no reason I can think of not to pursue
    the certification.

    > I was also looking at doing the MCITP Support Technician (70-623 or
    > 70-622).
    > This is a Vista based cert. Again, with Windows 7 coming out I'm not sure
    > if its a good choice of action or not.

    I'd certainly encourage you to do the preparation. Windows 7 exams may still
    be a year to a year and a half out (depending on which rumours of release
    date plans you choose to believe for Win7), but being prepared would also
    open the door to take the Win7 exams when they become available.

    The MCITP:EST can be completed with one exam (70-621) if you've earned the
    MCDST, plus the -621 is being given full credit for the MCITP:EA (Win2008)
    as an alternative to the 70-620, should you be inclined to pursue further
    certifications.

    > So the big question is, which cert should I go for?

    All things considered, I'd encourage you to pursue both the MCDST and the
    MCITP:EST

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Jan 6, 2009

  3. Hitchhiker90

    Ed Hall Guest

    We are entering interesting times again - we were getting close to one
    desktop client (Windows XP) covering most corporate desktops, however in the
    next year we are likely to see a Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 out there.

    As per Lawrences good post, Windows XP has a good number of years left in
    service. It's still the main desktop client in corporate worlds. MCDST will
    be a great cert for some years. The upgrade from MCDST to MCITP(Enterprise
    Support Technician) is a single exam. This is a strong combination for
    desktop support roles.

    All the best,
    Ed.

    Ed Hall, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Hitchhiker90

    Hitchhiker90 Guest

    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to follow your advice to do MCDST and
    the
    MCITP:EST exams. That should put me in good standing with the company and
    future employers if necessary.

    Robert
    --
    A+, N+, Internetwork Cert, HDI SCA, former CCNA && CCDA

    Hitchhiker90, Jan 13, 2009