    the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Ralph <6.com> spewed:
    > Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
    > I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is,
    > CDs were the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    aint no differnce in them cds. they all be the same. put them in youre
    burner and save them pictures and you be good to go

    Robert J Batina, Jul 7, 2005

  3. "Ralph" <6.com> writes:

    > Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
    > I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs were
    > the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    "MAM Gold" is the current incarnation of the Mitsui CDs, I'm told. I
    still have a spindle and a half of the Kodak's, so I'm still using
    those myself (and DVDs; CDs are so darned *small*).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Ralph

    Mark² Guest

    "Ralph" <6.com> wrote in message
    > Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
    > I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
    > were
    > the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    Personally, files have become so large, and HD storage so cheap, that I've
    gone to full hard-drive back-up with tripple redundancy. I have 5 internal
    drives, and several external drives that I keep off-line and at work. Then
    I do large back-ups instead of a zillion CD/DVDs which have to be split,
    categorized, etc. What a pain...when 250GB drives can be had for less than
    $100 US!

    As long as you've got redundancy, with hard drives in different locations
    that are off-line and powered down, you should have long-term, stable,
    reliable back-up. AND...you don't have to figure out where the heck the
    right CD is...AND...you don't have to worry about dye deterioration,
    scratches, warping, etc. as are real threats with CDs.

    My 2 cents...
    -Mark

    Mark², Jul 7, 2005
  5. Ralph

    Photobossman Guest

    The ones that are Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Try www.salescircular.com and watch the section free after rebate every now
    and then they will show up here just watch for the sales it changes every
    Saturday night at midnight.

    I have not paid for a CD in over 5 years I have followed the rules and got
    my money back every time.

    photobossman

    Photobossman, Jul 7, 2005
  6. Ralph

    John_B Guest

    Ralph,
    I have been using Maxell CD-R for over 6
    years and the disks are still readable
    in all my computers. I just started
    archiving photos on them in the last 2
    years and again no problems yet.

    "Ralph"
    <6.com> wrote
    in message
    ra.com.au...

    John_B, Jul 7, 2005
  7. Ralph

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:24:55 +1000, "Ralph"
    <6.com> wrote:

    >Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos?
    >I have read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs were
    >the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    It's been my experience and observation that using other than the
    absolute cheapest discs will work fine *IF* you're not using the
    absolute cheapest burner.
    The "$25 special" burner with the "Free after rebate" or "$.03 per
    disc" specials are not the most relaible long term storage choices.
    They aren't priced that low fdor nothin'.

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 7, 2005
  8. I would add that I always run a data check on my cds...just to be sure that
    there isn't a bad spot or something else wrong

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Ralph

    Photobossman Guest

    Well, Any discs that I had any problems with worked just fine if written to
    at a slower speed. (Rare Occurrence at least for me only a few discs the
    last 5 years)

    As for being able to retrieve data from these disks at a later time have not
    had any problems.

    I have discs that were burned over 5 years ago and can still retrieve the
    images just fine.

    Just because they are free after rebate does not mean it is junk. They have
    the same warranty as they would at regular prices.

    Free after rebate is used to get customers into their stores to buy other
    products and many times the only way to get the CD's is to arrive early
    Monday morning as the stock goes fast.

    They count on customers not filling out the paper work completely and send
    it in on time so they end up paying full price for the products. Also at
    times the Rebate checks look like junk mail and get tossed out again the
    customer pays full price for the product.

    I have been able to get just about every brand at one time or another free
    after rebate.

    photobossman

    Photobossman, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Ralph

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:35:56 -0700, "Photobossman"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, Any discs that I had any problems with worked just fine if written to
    >at a slower speed. (Rare Occurrence at least for me only a few discs the
    >last 5 years)

    I've heard that a lot, but it hasn't bene my experience. As is often
    said, YMMV. :)

    >As for being able to retrieve data from these disks at a later time have not
    >had any problems.
    >
    >I have discs that were burned over 5 years ago and can still retrieve the
    >images just fine.

    So do I; we must be doing something right!

    >Just because they are free after rebate does not mean it is junk. They have
    >the same warranty as they would at regular prices.

    A warranty doesn't help you get data back, unfortunately.
    And, let's face it, the free ones aren't going to be the better ones.
    They are frequently good ones, that have been replaced by better ones,
    but the buyer is frequently more motivated by price than model number,
    and won't wait for the better offers, just the current ones.

    >Free after rebate is used to get customers into their stores to buy other
    >products and many times the only way to get the CD's is to arrive early
    >Monday morning as the stock goes fast.

    Well, with Fry's, it's Fridays. :)
    And their stocking is usually pretty good.
    Here, CompUSA's Sunday ads often have 'free after rebates' specials,
    but the stuff is often junk, simply being gotten rid of. I have to
    check on the web to even find out where some of these things came
    from, and what they do.

    >They count on customers not filling out the paper work completely and send
    >it in on time so they end up paying full price for the products. Also at
    >times the Rebate checks look like junk mail and get tossed out again the
    >customer pays full price for the product.

    That's what I hear. But I have extremely good luck with the rebates I
    go for.

    >I have been able to get just about every brand at one time or another free
    >after rebate.

    It's not the "brand" so much as the item itself. Branding is a funny
    thing; most items are branded, but made by someone you've never heard
    of. The branding represents a contract, and no other connection
    between the holder of the brand and the actual manufacturer.

    Bill Funk, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Ralph

    Guest

    "Robert J Batina" <> writes:

    > Ralph <6.com> spewed:

    >> Which CDs are currently recommended for storing photos? I have
    >> read at some stage that "Mitsui process", whatever that is, CDs
    >> were the best. Kodak used to make them, but no longer do so.

    The best by a large margin are the Mitsui disks. They are now split out
    into seperate companies, MAM-A in the US and MAM-E in europe. They are
    also sold under various labels, but you have to be sure what you are
    getting. See the NIST report, and stuff on the MAM site.

    > aint no differnce in them cds. they all be the same. put them in
    > youre burner and save them pictures and you be good to go

    This is a total load of shit.

    With DVDs, bigest problem is knowing what you are getting today. I've
    been told that Phylocyanine/gold DVDs are about to be available.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

    , Jul 8, 2005
  12. Ralph

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > It's not the "brand" so much as the item itself. Branding is a funny
    > thing; most items are branded, but made by someone you've never heard
    > of. The branding represents a contract, and no other connection
    > between the holder of the brand and the actual manufacturer.

    This is one of the questions I wonder about.

    I have read that CD's are really only manufactured
    in a few factories world-wide. I don't know if that's
    true. But some people claim that very often a cheap no
    name brand is the identical manufactured product to an
    expensive name brand.

    That doesn't mean the name brands are crappy. Presumably
    the companies owning well respected brands will only sell
    decent quality stuff. But it may mean that some of the
    very cheap no-name brands are just as good.

    I have bought nothing but cheap CD's and DVDs. I had
    one batch that had lots of bad ones, but all the others
    have been fine (which I say with my fingers crossed.)

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Ralph

    RSD99 Guest

    If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the only game
    in town
    http://www.mitsuigold.com/

    If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive "name
    brand" will probably do.

    RSD99, Jul 19, 2005
  14. In article <knYCe.4152$k_.1164@trnddc07>, RSD99 <> wrote:
    >If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the only game
    >in town
    >http://www.mitsuigold.com/
    >
    >If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive "name
    >brand" will probably do.

    I haven't used Mitsui, but there is a grade in between that and the
    least expensive name brands.

    Most of the blanks on sale are made in a few factories in China or
    Taiwan. The brand name (Maxell, Fuji, Verbatim, etc.) is largely
    irrelevant: all these brands get their disks from a handful of OEMs.
    Even worse, the brand names freely change their OEMs. For example,
    Fuji used to use Taiyo Yuden as a manufacturer, but they switched to
    someone else, without warning.

    Which brings me to my last point. Taiyo Yuden is one of the few OEMs
    left in Japan. Their CDR blanks are better than any disks
    manufactured in China or Taiwan that I know of. So I suggest that you
    buy Taiyo Yuden. One can find Taiyo Yudens sold on the internet by
    name.

    I don't deal with DVD blanks so I'm only talking CD-R here.
    --
    David Arnstein

    David Arnstein, Jul 19, 2005
  15. Ralph

    Guest

    "RSD99" <> writes:

    > If you want archival storage ... MAM-A (Mitsui Gold) is about the
    > only game in town http://www.mitsuigold.com/

    > If you don't need Archival characteristics ... the least expensive
    > "name brand" will probably do.

    Well, sort of...

    MAM has a standard PC/Gold disk as well as the archival ones.

    Many CDs now are made with an Azo dye, and are optimised for max
    writing speed. This tends to also result in maxamum wronging speed as
    well.

    You can use cdwrite to read out the disk prolog date and that includes
    the dye type, and who really made the sucker.

    See the NIST report for the messy details...

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    West Australia 6076

    , Jul 19, 2005
  16. Ralph

    Ralph Guest

    Paul, are these available in Australia ?
    Ralph in Melbourne
    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Jul 20, 2005