    recommendations of what I should see next?

    thx
    -goro-

    Goro, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Goro

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On 11 Apr 2006 07:52:08 -0700, "Goro" <> Gave us:

    >I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    >huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    >wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    >tites:
    >
    >IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    >MR DEEDS
    >IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    >MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    >ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    >and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    >recommendations of what I should see next?
    >
    >thx
    >-goro-

    One of the best Capra films...

    Meet John Doe

    Roy L. Fuchs, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Goro

    Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > tites:
    >
    > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > MR DEEDS
    > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > recommendations of what I should see next?

    THE MIRACLE WOMAN (1931), starring Barbara Stanwyck.

    , Apr 11, 2006
  4. Goro

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On 11 Apr 2006 07:52:08 -0700, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    >huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    >wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    >tites:
    >
    >IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    >MR DEEDS
    >IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    >MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    >ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    >and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    >recommendations of what I should see next?
    >
    >thx
    >-goro-

    His last film......."Pocket Full Of Miracles"

    Mr. Moe, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Goro

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:01:45 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> Gave us:

    >On 11 Apr 2006 07:52:08 -0700, "Goro" <> Gave us:
    >
    >>I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    >>huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    >>wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    >>tites:
    >>
    >>IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    >>MR DEEDS
    >>IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    >>MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    >>ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >>
    >>and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    >>recommendations of what I should see next?
    >>
    >>thx
    >>-goro-

    > One of the best Capra films...
    >
    >Meet John Doe

    Also, You Can't Take It With You

    Lost Horizons

    Roy L. Fuchs, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Goro wrote:

    > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > tites:
    >
    > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > MR DEEDS
    > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > recommendations of what I should see next?

    I'll leave aside the now little-remembered (despite being a 30's
    star-studder) "You Can't Take It With You"--and the Ronald Colman "Lost
    Horizon" now remembered only for a bad remake--and go straight to the
    'Boomer classics:

    http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031007
    http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031008

    Derek Janssen (didn't know, did ya?) :)

    Derek Janssen, Apr 11, 2006
  7. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >
    > > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > > tites:
    > >
    > > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > > MR DEEDS
    > > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    > >
    > > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > > recommendations of what I should see next?

    > I'll leave aside the now little-remembered (despite being a 30's
    > star-studder) "You Can't Take It With You"--and the Ronald Colman "Lost
    > Horizon" now remembered only for a bad remake--and go straight to the
    > 'Boomer classics:
    >
    > http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031007

    You're right, I had no idea. (And... how much crap I must've watched
    afterwards, on the strength of how good this had been...)

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Goro

    Steven L. Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > tites:
    >
    > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > MR DEEDS
    > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > recommendations of what I should see next?

    Go see his World War II documentary "Why We Fight." The first three
    parts of that series were a brilliant refutation of Nazi propaganda.
    And with all this talk today about how to "win the war of ideas" against
    terrorism, shows how Capra won that particular "war of ideas" hands down.

    --
    Steven D. Litvintchouk
    Email:

    Steven L., Apr 11, 2006
  9. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Steven L. wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    > > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > > tites:
    > >
    > > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > > MR DEEDS
    > > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    > >
    > > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > > recommendations of what I should see next?

    > Go see his World War II documentary "Why We Fight." The first three
    > parts of that series were a brilliant refutation of Nazi propaganda.
    > And with all this talk today about how to "win the war of ideas" against
    > terrorism, shows how Capra won that particular "war of ideas" hands down.

    Coincidence Dept.: There's a so-named highly ranked doc out now...

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0436971

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Apr 11, 2006
  10. moviePig wrote:

    >>I'll leave aside the now little-remembered (despite being a 30's
    >>star-studder) "You Can't Take It With You"--and the Ronald Colman "Lost
    >>Horizon" now remembered only for a bad remake--and go straight to the
    >>'Boomer classics:
    >>
    >>http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031007

    > You're right, I had no idea. (And... how much crap I must've watched
    > afterwards, on the strength of how good this had been...)

    Crap?...Are you calling the non-Capra Bell Labs films crap?
    Sneer ye, sir, at "It's About Time", "The Alphabet Conspiracy" or the
    Chuck Jones "Gateway to the Mind"??
    (Just because Rhino orphaned them on VHS, and Image never picked the
    non-Capra's up for disk?)

    I'll admit, they weren't as good as Capra's "Magic screen" ones, but at
    least we got less of Frank's distractingly intelligent-design "God
    smiles upon Science" speeches...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Goro

    Ursula 2.7T Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > tites:
    >
    > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > MR DEEDS
    > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >
    > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > recommendations of what I should see next?
    >
    > thx
    > -goro-

    I'd recommend the following --

    * The Miracle Woman
    * Lady for a Day

    I'm not a huge Capra fan myself, but I do like both of these movies I
    just mentioned. Barbara Stanwyck is simply fantastic in The Miracle
    Woman. And Lady for a Day is very feel-good without getting too
    maudlin or overly sentimental. Good performances by Warren William and
    May Robson in that one.

    I've also heard that The Bitter Tea of General Yen (another
    Stanwyck/Capra flick) is good, but I've never seen it so can't say for
    sure. But I'm betting that would probably be a good choice too.

    Ursula.

    Ursula 2.7T, Apr 11, 2006
  12. Goro

    Matt Barry Guest

    Ursula 2.7T wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    > > I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm a
    > > huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen (and
    > > wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream popular
    > > tites:
    > >
    > > IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > > MR DEEDS
    > > IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > > MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > > ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    > >
    > > and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > > recommendations of what I should see next?
    > >
    > > thx
    > > -goro-

    > I'd recommend the following --
    >
    > * The Miracle Woman
    > * Lady for a Day
    >
    > I'm not a huge Capra fan myself, but I do like both of these movies I
    > just mentioned. Barbara Stanwyck is simply fantastic in The Miracle
    > Woman. And Lady for a Day is very feel-good without getting too
    > maudlin or overly sentimental. Good performances by Warren William and
    > May Robson in that one.
    >
    > I've also heard that The Bitter Tea of General Yen (another
    > Stanwyck/Capra flick) is good, but I've never seen it so can't say for
    > sure. But I'm betting that would probably be a good choice too.
    >
    > Ursula.

    "The Bitter Tea of General Yen" is an excellent choice. Definitely one
    of Capra's finest works as a director. Also interesting as one of his
    earlier, pre-"It Happened One Night" films. Nils Asther is particularly
    good in this one.

    Matt

    Matt Barry, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Ursula 2.7T wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >> I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm
    >> a huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen
    >> (and wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream
    >> popular tites:
    >>
    >> IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    >> MR DEEDS
    >> IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    >> MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    >> ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    >>
    >> and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    >> recommendations of what I should see next?
    >>
    >> thx
    >> -goro-

    > I'd recommend the following --
    >
    > * The Miracle Woman
    > * Lady for a Day
    >
    > I'm not a huge Capra fan myself, but I do like both of these movies I
    > just mentioned. Barbara Stanwyck is simply fantastic in The Miracle
    > Woman. And Lady for a Day is very feel-good without getting too
    > maudlin or overly sentimental. Good performances by Warren William
    > and May Robson in that one.
    >
    > I've also heard that The Bitter Tea of General Yen (another
    > Stanwyck/Capra flick) is good, but I've never seen it so can't say for
    > sure. But I'm betting that would probably be a good choice too.

    Last Friday night one of our local PBS stations showed _Pocketful of
    Miracles_ (1961). Either I was in an impatient mood or it's not a very good
    film, but I bailed after 20 minutes or so, bored to distraction by the
    pacing and the obviousness of the story. The only thing that worked for me
    while I did stick with it was Bette Davis as Apple Annie. Hope Lange was
    absolutely hopeless as Queenie and I could certainly while so many here
    dislike Glenn Ford. But then I didn't see the whole film, so what do I know?

    Now I read in the IMDb that it is a remake of Capra's 1933 film _Lady for a
    Day_, which I have not seen but which sounds like it would be more to my
    liking.

    Meanwhile, my record for liking Damon Runyon-based films remains pretty
    dismal. Films like _Little Miss Marker_ (and the Bob Hope version _Sorrowful
    Jones_) and _The Lemon Drop Kid_ are impossible. _Guys and Dolls_ is an
    interesting failure and that's about the best I can say for any Runyon
    property. But I haven't seen them all and I'm still holding out hope for _A
    Slight Case of Murder_, if ever I can score a copy.

    --
    Frank in Seattle
    ____

    Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
    "Millennium hand and shrimp."

    Frank R.A.J. Maloney, Apr 11, 2006
  14. Goro

    Ursula 2.7T Guest

    Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:
    > Last Friday night one of our local PBS stations showed _Pocketful of
    > Miracles_ (1961). Either I was in an impatient mood or it's not a very good
    > film, but I bailed after 20 minutes or so, bored to distraction by the
    > pacing and the obviousness of the story. The only thing that worked for me
    > while I did stick with it was Bette Davis as Apple Annie. Hope Lange was
    > absolutely hopeless as Queenie and I could certainly while so many here
    > dislike Glenn Ford. But then I didn't see the whole film, so what do I know?
    >
    > Now I read in the IMDb that it is a remake of Capra's 1933 film _Lady for a
    > Day_, which I have not seen but which sounds like it would be more to my
    > liking.
    >
    > Meanwhile, my record for liking Damon Runyon-based films remains pretty
    > dismal. Films like _Little Miss Marker_ (and the Bob Hope version _Sorrowful
    > Jones_) and _The Lemon Drop Kid_ are impossible. _Guys and Dolls_ is an
    > interesting failure and that's about the best I can say for any Runyon
    > property. But I haven't seen them all and I'm still holding out hope for _A
    > Slight Case of Murder_, if ever I can score a copy.

    Frank, I'd agree with you on Runyonesque films, and although I've never
    seen Pocketful of Miracles, I too think I'd be shutting it off after 20
    minutes or less. In general I'm not into sappy feel-good movies, which
    leaves out most Capra movies for me. However, you might try Lady for a
    Day sometime. TCM runs it every so often. The potential is definitely
    there for this to be a sappy trainwreck, but May Robson gives a really
    wonderful, understated performance, and Warren William really walks the
    fine line between being a tough mob guy and a good guy with a soft-spot
    for Apple Annie. In addition, you get Ned Sparks and Glenda Farrell
    and Guy Kibbee -- three character actors you can rarely go wrong with!

    Ursula.

    Ursula 2.7T, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > moviePig wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'll leave aside the now little-remembered (despite being a 30's
    > >>star-studder) "You Can't Take It With You"--and the Ronald Colman "Lost
    > >>Horizon" now remembered only for a bad remake--and go straight to the
    > >>'Boomer classics:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60031007

    > > You're right, I had no idea. (And... how much crap I must've watched
    > > afterwards, on the strength of how good this had been...)

    > Crap?...Are you calling the non-Capra Bell Labs films crap?
    > Sneer ye, sir, at "It's About Time", "The Alphabet Conspiracy" or the
    > Chuck Jones "Gateway to the Mind"??
    > (Just because Rhino orphaned them on VHS, and Image never picked the
    > non-Capra's up for disk?)
    >
    > I'll admit, they weren't as good as Capra's "Magic screen" ones, but at
    > least we got less of Frank's distractingly intelligent-design "God
    > smiles upon Science" speeches...

    Probably not the Bell Labs... though I don't recall. I do know that
    I'd watched HEMO grudgingly... and was blown away... a tv-experience
    that I think didn't repeat itself in *any* genre until much (much)
    later.

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Apr 11, 2006
  16. moviePig wrote:
    > Derek Janssen wrote:

    > I do know that
    > I'd watched HEMO grudgingly... and was blown away... a tv-experience
    > that I think didn't repeat itself in *any* genre until much (much)
    > later.

    "Our Mr. Sun" and "Unchained Goddess" were done on the same Capra
    episode-series as Hemo--with the Frank Baxter scientist, the Richard
    Carlson Darren-McGavin-guy, and the cartoon characters--while "Cosmic
    Rays" switches over to puppets instead of cartoons, and delves more into
    high-school science...
    Whether or not they're as *good* as Hemo (or "Homo the Magnificent", as
    we called him in fourth grade :) ) is up for taste, but at least you
    can't go wrong with sequels.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Apr 11, 2006
  17. Goro

    Bill Coleman Guest

    Has anyone mentioned "American Madness"?...it's a great
    early talkie film, which foreshadows films like Mr. Deeds,
    Mr. Smith, and includes a bank run scene very similar to
    "It's A Wonderful Life," plus it stars the great Walter Huston.

    Bill Coleman

    Bill Coleman, Apr 11, 2006
  18. moviePig wrote:
    > Derek Janssen wrote:

    [deletions]

    >> Crap?...Are you calling the non-Capra Bell Labs films crap?
    >> Sneer ye, sir, at "It's About Time", "The Alphabet Conspiracy" or the
    >> Chuck Jones "Gateway to the Mind"??
    >> (Just because Rhino orphaned them on VHS, and Image never picked the
    >> non-Capra's up for disk?)
    >>
    >> I'll admit, they weren't as good as Capra's "Magic screen" ones, but
    >> at least we got less of Frank's distractingly intelligent-design "God
    >> smiles upon Science" speeches...

    > Probably not the Bell Labs... though I don't recall. I do know that
    > I'd watched HEMO grudgingly... and was blown away... a tv-experience
    > that I think didn't repeat itself in *any* genre until much (much)
    > later.

    These films, which I very enjoyed as a child, are satirized in the early
    part of _Jurassic Park_ with the "Mr. D.N.A." animation.

    --
    Frank in Seattle
    ____

    Frank R.A.J. Maloney, Apr 11, 2006
  19. Goro

    Guest

    Frank R.A.J. Maloney wrote:
    > Ursula 2.7T wrote:
    > > Goro wrote:
    > >> I'm a true to the heart sentimentalist in many ways and as such, I'm
    > >> a huge Capra fan. Well, i should say that of the Capra I've seen
    > >> (and wrt his reputation), i'm a huge fan. I've seen the mainstream
    > >> popular tites:
    > >>
    > >> IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT
    > >> MR DEEDS
    > >> IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
    > >> MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
    > >> ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
    > >>
    > >> and now I'm looking to watch some of his other works. What are the
    > >> recommendations of what I should see next?
    > >>
    > >> thx
    > >> -goro-

    > > I'd recommend the following --
    > >
    > > * The Miracle Woman
    > > * Lady for a Day
    > >
    > > I'm not a huge Capra fan myself, but I do like both of these movies I
    > > just mentioned. Barbara Stanwyck is simply fantastic in The Miracle
    > > Woman. And Lady for a Day is very feel-good without getting too
    > > maudlin or overly sentimental. Good performances by Warren William
    > > and May Robson in that one.
    > >
    > > I've also heard that The Bitter Tea of General Yen (another
    > > Stanwyck/Capra flick) is good, but I've never seen it so can't say for
    > > sure. But I'm betting that would probably be a good choice too.

    > Last Friday night one of our local PBS stations showed _Pocketful of
    > Miracles_ (1961). Either I was in an impatient mood or it's not a very good
    > film, but I bailed after 20 minutes or so, bored to distraction by the
    > pacing and the obviousness of the story. The only thing that worked for me
    > while I did stick with it was Bette Davis as Apple Annie. Hope Lange was
    > absolutely hopeless as Queenie and I could certainly while so many here
    > dislike Glenn Ford. But then I didn't see the whole film, so what do I know?
    >
    > Now I read in the IMDb that it is a remake of Capra's 1933 film _Lady for a
    > Day_, which I have not seen but which sounds like it would be more to my
    > liking.
    >
    > Meanwhile, my record for liking Damon Runyon-based films remains pretty
    > dismal. Films like _Little Miss Marker_ (and the Bob Hope version _Sorrowful
    > Jones_) and _The Lemon Drop Kid_ are impossible. _Guys and Dolls_ is an
    > interesting failure and that's about the best I can say for any Runyon
    > property. But I haven't seen them all and I'm still holding out hope for _A
    > Slight Case of Murder_, if ever I can score a copy.
    >
    > --
    > Frank in Seattle
    > ____
    >
    > Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
    > "Millennium hand and shrimp."

    IIRC (its been a long time since I read it), according to Capra's
    autobio "The Name Above the Title" - Capra hated this version. At that
    point he had lost control of the production and claims that the power
    broker was the star, Glenn Ford. Ford brought in Hope Lange whom he
    was seeing at the time and overrode Capra's objections. He knew it was
    doomed and even though the immediate reaction was positive he felt it
    was a failure and he was right.

    One thing always puzzled me about people's impression of Capra, that he
    is too sugary. I disagree. He has often shown the dark side of
    average people, especially in his films of the late 30's. The mob is
    easily swayed and fairly decent people assume the worst. He had no
    problem showing that Washington contains corruption, that the press is
    cynical and that most people are basically sheep. His message is that
    one must maintain a constant vigil against these forces. I've never
    seen how this translates to a syrupy view of life (yes, I know his
    hero's are larger then life, but that still doesn't discount that he
    shows the dark nature of most people in virtually all of his films),
    especially when we don't see any Jeff Smith's running around but all
    the other elements are there in the real world.

    ---Jay

    , Apr 11, 2006
  20. "Frank R.A.J. Maloney" <> wrote:

    >> Probably not the Bell Labs... though I don't recall. I do know that
    >> I'd watched HEMO grudgingly... and was blown away... a tv-experience
    >> that I think didn't repeat itself in *any* genre until much (much)
    >> later.

    >These films, which I very enjoyed as a child, are satirized in the early
    >part of _Jurassic Park_ with the "Mr. D.N.A." animation.

    I'd still like to see those again. I have the discontinued Walt Disney
    Treasures "Tomorrowland: Disney in Space & Beyond" set, which has a
    lot of ancient informational animation from Disney studios--the
    features & shorts on space travel & the Jet Age--but I want to see
    these Capras too.

    There was an old Technicolor movie that used to play at Disneyland in
    the late 1950s & into the 1960s in Tomorrowland called "The World
    Beneath Us." It was in the Richfield Diorama. Anybody remember it?
    IMDb doesn't have any info on it, but it sure would be nice to see
    this feature released on home video.

    ____
    "Good morning, Nick."

    -- Heath Barkley to half-brother Nick (The Big Valley)

    David Oberman, Apr 11, 2006