    does it work pretty well? I'm looking to get as much optical zoom as possible
    for around $600 or less.
    Thanks.

    JJVandJMB, Oct 20, 2003

  2. JJVandJMB

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Which cameras have image stabilization? Does that feature degrade the image, or
    > does it work pretty well? I'm looking to get as much optical zoom as possible
    > for around $600 or less.
    > Thanks.

    The only current models that I know of are the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and
    the not-out-yet Minolta Dimage A1. The Panasonic is in your price range
    -- the Minolta is not.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 20, 2003

  3. JJVandJMB

    Peter Guest

    Hello Todd Walker,

    You wrote:

    >The only current models that I know of are the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and
    >the not-out-yet Minolta Dimage A1. The Panasonic is in your price range
    >-- the Minolta is not.

    Have just bought the Minolta Dimage A1 in the UK - are we really ahead
    of the States with regards to its launch?

    My Oly 2100 which I have replaced ALSO had image stabilisation, perhaps
    others in the Oly range do also?

    Regards,
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Oct 20, 2003
  4. JJVandJMB

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <efVznBBz8$k$>,
    Peter@[127.0.0.1] says...
    > Have just bought the Minolta Dimage A1 in the UK - are we really ahead
    > of the States with regards to its launch?

    Hmm...maybe it is out. Lemme check. Yep, looks like it. Sorry about that
    -- didn't know they were already available.

    > My Oly 2100 which I have replaced ALSO had image stabilisation, perhaps
    > others in the Oly range do also?

    Nope, the 2100 is the only one. The Canon Pro90 came out around the same
    time but was less successful because of its price. I had a Pro90 and it
    was a great camera. The 2100 users were a faithful bunch as well.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 20, 2003
  5. JJVandJMB

    Ten Guest

    "Peter" <Peter@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Hello Todd Walker,
    >
    > You wrote:
    >
    > >The only current models that I know of are the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and
    > >the not-out-yet Minolta Dimage A1. The Panasonic is in your price range
    > >-- the Minolta is not.

    > Have just bought the Minolta Dimage A1 in the UK - are we really ahead
    > of the States with regards to its launch?

    I think anyone would be hard pressed to find the FZ10 - that's certainly not
    out yet. The FZ1 is currently available with an IS system with an
    equivalent lens of 35-420mm.

    I'm plumping for the A1 though, how is it Peter?

    Ten

    Ten, Oct 20, 2003
  6. As far as I know, there are only 2 cameras with IS functionality - the
    Minolta A1 which runs about $800-950 depending on where you get it
    (note that it was retailing for 1,200 but just had a price drop) and
    the Panasonic FZ1 (that is only a 2MP camera).

    There's an FZ10 from panasonic coming out next month that will be 4mp
    and has an MSRP of $599 so it might be the perfect fit. It has a 12x
    zoom vs. a 7x for the Minolta. It also has f2.8 throughout the entire
    zoom range.

    Keep in mind that I know very little about photography but have been
    doing a lot of research over the last month and am pretty familiar
    with what is coming out and the features. What I don't know is what
    means what though.

    For extended zoom (beyond 8x) and with IS, you're only real options
    appear to be the A1 or the FZ1. Not sure if the 2MP is really the way
    to go though.
    If you can wait another month, the FZ10 might be the perfect camera
    for you at the price range you're looking. Then again, at the rate
    this stuff is coming out, you might be able to snag an A1 and its 7x
    zoom for $700 by the time Xmas hits. :)

    Mike Hasemann, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Ronny Svensson, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Todd Walker <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Which cameras have image stabilization? Does that feature degrade the
    > > image, or does it work pretty well? I'm looking to get as much optical zoom
    > > as possible for around $600 or less. Thanks.
    > >

    > The only current models that I know of are the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and the
    > not-out-yet Minolta Dimage A1. The Panasonic is in your price range -- the
    > Minolta is not.

    The Panasonic DMC-FZ10 won't be available until next month. The MSRP is $599,
    and it has 12x zoom (equivalent to 35-420mm in 35mm cameras) with 4 megapixels
    and full manual control.

    The Panasonic DMC-FZ1 has been available for some time (at Ritz/Wolf and online
    sellers), and it has 12x zoom (equivalent to 35-420mm) with 2 megapixels. Note
    the FZ1 has little in the way of manual controls.

    Panasonic just recently updated it with the DMC-FZ2 that adds manual controls.
    I don't know if it is available yet.

    The Minolta A1 has been available for about a month now. The MSRP originally
    was $1200 but there recently was a $200 price drop. It has a 7x zoom
    (equivalent to 28-200mm).

    You might be able to find the classic IS cameras that were sold about 2 years
    ago with 10x zoom (equivalent to 38-380mm). The cameras are Olympus C-2100UZ
    and Sony CD1000 which are 2 megapixel cameras, the Olympus E-100RS which is a
    1.3 megapixel camera (with 15 frame per seconds continous shooting mode), and
    the Canon Pro90 which is a 2.6 megapixel camera.

    Outside of your price range are the DSLRs with Canon IS lenses (Canon 1D, 1Ds,
    D30, D60, 10D, and 300D/digital-rebel/KISS) or Nikon VR lenses (Nikon D1, D1X,
    D1H, D100, D2H, Fuji S2Pro, Kodak DCS14Pro).

    I find the IS on my Olympus C-2100UZ works pretty well to eliminate camera
    shake up to a point, particularly for the long telephoto. It obviously does
    nothing for subject movement.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Oct 20, 2003
  9. JJVandJMB

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, rys61
    @hotmail.com says...
    > (JJVandJMB) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Which cameras have image stabilization? Does that feature degrade the image, or
    > > does it work pretty well? I'm looking to get as much optical zoom as possible
    > > for around $600 or less.
    > > Thanks.

    > Check:
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_Panasonic/fz1.htm
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_Olympus/c750.htm
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_Toshiba/m700.htm
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_Kodak/6490.htm
    > http://www.dcviews.com/_Fuji/s5k.htm
    >
    > Ronny

    None of those except the FZ1 have image stabilization, which is
    specifically what he asked for.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 20, 2003
  10. JJVandJMB

    Peter Guest

    Hello Ten,

    You wrote:

    >I'm plumping for the A1 though, how is it Peter?

    Well, there are certainly a whole bunch more features than on my Oly
    2100. I have reduced from 10x optical zoom to 7x but increased from 2mg
    pixels to 5mg. With the far larger image, I do not miss the difference
    in zoom, but have doubts as to getting any better picture quality
    overall.

    The wireless flash attachment should prove very useful to me and the
    battery life is phenomenal. I prefer the manual zoom and manual
    focussing option.

    It looks good, seems to be built very well too, but learning the many
    extras is taking a bit of practice. I think the images are slightly
    softer but I am getting used to that. I am not needing as much (if any)
    photo enhancing in Paint Shop Pro 8 as I used to either.

    For just over £600 I am very pleased with it.

    If you want any further info, just let me know.

    Regards,
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Oct 20, 2003
  11. JJVandJMB

    JJVandJMB Guest

    Thanks for all the info.
    My next question is this: What's the longest zoom I should be able to use with
    a steady hand but no tripod and no image stabilization? Will 10X zoom be
    useless without a tripod?

    JJVandJMB, Oct 20, 2003
  12. JJVandJMB

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Thanks for all the info.
    > My next question is this: What's the longest zoom I should be able to use with
    > a steady hand but no tripod and no image stabilization? Will 10X zoom be
    > useless without a tripod?

    The rule of thumb is that without IS, you can hanhold a shutter speed
    that is the reciprocal of the focal length. So if you are zoomed to
    100mm, then you need to use a 1/100 shutter speed. Any slower and you
    will get blur. Remember with digitals you have to convert the actual
    focal length that is printed on the lens to the 35mm equivalent in order
    to use this rule. With IS, you gain about 2 stops, so at 100mm you can
    probably safely handhold 1/25 shutter speed.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Oct 21, 2003
  13. JJVandJMB

    Val Sharp Guest

    Todd Walker, on 20/10/03 18:03, wrote:

    > ... The 2100 users were a faithful bunch as well.

    Still are :)

    --
    Regards,
    Val

    Latest Oly2100 Photos ... <http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/cramond>

    Val Sharp, Oct 21, 2003
  14. "Peter" <Peter@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > Hello Ten,
    >
    > You wrote:
    >
    > >I'm plumping for the A1 though, how is it Peter?

    > Well, there are certainly a whole bunch more features than on my Oly
    > 2100. I have reduced from 10x optical zoom to 7x but increased from 2mg
    > pixels to 5mg. With the far larger image, I do not miss the difference
    > in zoom, but have doubts as to getting any better picture quality
    > overall.
    >
    > The wireless flash attachment should prove very useful to me and the
    > battery life is phenomenal. I prefer the manual zoom and manual
    > focussing option.
    >
    > It looks good, seems to be built very well too, but learning the many
    > extras is taking a bit of practice. I think the images are slightly
    > softer but I am getting used to that. I am not needing as much (if any)
    > photo enhancing in Paint Shop Pro 8 as I used to either.
    >
    > For just over £600 I am very pleased with it.

    Where did you get it for that price?

    Paul

    Paul Marquess, Oct 21, 2003
  15. JJVandJMB

    Peter Guest

    Hello Paul Marquess,

    You wrote:

    >> >I'm plumping for the A1 though, how is it Peter?

    >> For just over £600 I am very pleased with it.

    >Where did you get it for that price?
    >
    >Paul

    http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?ProdID=1135&cat=Cameras

    £638 including delivery with a first class service IMHO

    Regards
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Oct 21, 2003
  16. "Peter" <Peter@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    > >> For just over £600 I am very pleased with it.

    > >Where did you get it for that price?
    > >
    > >Paul
    > >

    > http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?ProdID=1135&cat=Cameras
    >
    > £638 including delivery with a first class service IMHO

    Thanks Peter, didn't realise there's was a price cut for the A1. See
    Amazon.co.uk still have it listed at £849.99

    Paul

    Paul Marquess, Oct 21, 2003
  17. JJVandJMB

    Peter Guest

    Hello Paul Marquess,

    You wrote:

    >> >Where did you get it for that price?

    >> http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?ProdID=1135&cat=Cameras
    >>
    >> £638 including delivery with a first class service IMHO

    >Thanks Peter, didn't realise there's was a price cut for the A1. See
    >Amazon.co.uk still have it listed at £849.99

    Also found the IBM/HGST Microdrive 1.0Gb at scan.co.uk for £117 which I
    thought was a bit of a bargain!

    Regards,
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Oct 21, 2003
  18. (JJVandJMB) wrote:

    >Thanks for all the info.
    >My next question is this: What's the longest zoom I should be able to use with
    >a steady hand but no tripod and no image stabilization? Will 10X zoom be
    >useless without a tripod?

    For the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1, FZ2, and FZ10 in normal
    daylight you have to hold the camera very steady to get sharp
    shots at the equivalent of 420 mm focal length. I have an FZ1
    and I usually lean the camera or at least my body against or on
    something at full zoom. You don't need a tripod though. Any tree
    or your car (perhaps with the engine stopped) will do.

    I also carry a small bean bag---recommended. I use it when
    taking photos from the car. I usually have the glass window half
    down and the bean bag on the glass edge or in a corner. The
    camera is pushed against the bean bag.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 22, 2003
  19. JJVandJMB

    Jupiter Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:03:52 GMT, Todd Walker <>
    wrote:

    >In article <efVznBBz8$k$>,
    >Peter@[127.0.0.1] says...
    >> Have just bought the Minolta Dimage A1 in the UK - are we really ahead
    >> of the States with regards to its launch?

    >Hmm...maybe it is out. Lemme check. Yep, looks like it. Sorry about that
    >-- didn't know they were already available.
    >
    >> My Oly 2100 which I have replaced ALSO had image stabilisation, perhaps
    >> others in the Oly range do also?

    >Nope, the 2100 is the only one. The Canon Pro90 came out around the same
    >time but was less successful because of its price. I had a Pro90 and it
    >was a great camera. The 2100 users were a faithful bunch as well.

    Don't forget about the E-100RS. That has image stabilisation too.

    Jupiter, Oct 22, 2003